RC Enthusiast

In for repairs & upgrades

This is just for starters. Also goin to tear down the shocks & replace the oil and do a major cleaning.

RC Qualifier
    You actually have got the Ball-X. Please, please let us know how they perform! This whole forum has been waiting for a review!
    Also got the HPP parts, nice you will like them .

RC Enthusiast

Front bulk replaced & new dif installed

This is my first time replacing a bulk or a dif. Really didn't think there would be so much to tear down to replace the bulk. The old difs will be torn down rebuilt, shimed correctly thanks to others on the forum and put back in when the new one fails.
    Last edited by Razormatrx; 05-18-2013 at 11:55 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Tomorrow will be the front ball X axles and the HPP hubs

RC Enthusiast
    Front ball X axles & HPP adapters are installed. Installation was strait forward & simple. The real test will be once I hit the dirt again

RC Qualifier
    Looks good !
    Keep us updated about the ball-X!

You're off to a good start...Nice .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    Have the new rear body mount installed witch I didn't even realize was broken till I started tearing down the rear end. Put in a new rear diff, the HPP 17mm adapters & the ball X axles on the rear end.

RC Enthusiast
    Now it's time for the HPP motor brace and Tor-X chassis brace.

RC Enthusiast
    Have the HPP motor brace & chassis brace installed. Had to drill a hole through the motor brace plate but all worked out well

I wanted the chassis brace to be as horizontal as possible so I used 2 pillow balls. One just as a spacer.

Because of this the screw that came with the brace was not long enough so I used the original one that held the shock on.

The one on the left came with HPP motor brace, center is original,right came with the Tor-x chassis brace. Chose not to use the carbon fiber plate that Tor-x came with & drilled a hole through the plate on the HPP motor brace.

RC Qualifier
    You underestimate how much stress will be put on the brace. Those two pillowballs and the screw that holds them will bend after the first bad landing.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ignis View Post
    You underestimate how much stress will be put on the brace. Those two pillowballs and the screw that holds them will bend after the first bad landing.
    You may be right but I'm goin to give it a go. If it bends or breaks it will just give me a reason to bring it back in & work on it

RC Enthusiast
    Well it's back together with fresh oil in the shocks and all. Time to take it for a spin & see how it does.

Looking good...I like the colour. I found that since using the HPP Motor Bracket I have never stripped a spur gear again.

Give us some feedback on those ball X axles once you have given your truck a couple battery runs. I am thinking of getting a set for another build I had in mind.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    Yea definitely! I have tor-x brace the carbon fibre started to crack within 10 bashing sessions. Even my replacement metal one is starting to bend. The rear takes a heavy beating.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I made my own brace from 1/8th aluminum plate, I don't bash hard so I haven't had any issues with mine breaking or bending and it isn't the strongest of parts. I like the motor brace and your tower brace will probably be alright
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Enthusiast
    Well I have put 4 sets of batteries through it since I got it all back together. The first 2 sets I didn't go to hard on it, just playing around my yard & wheelies down the road. Did manage to end up doing a few cartwheels on purpose to see how thing would hold. It all held good.

The 3rd & 4th set were at a park near by with a lot of rocks that are like natural ramps & jumps. Nothing 2 major, like 4-6ft high & maybe 20-25ft of distance on most jumps. The truck stayed rock solid and nothing broke witch was a major plus. The Ball x axles were great! They didn't pop out bend or twist. With the heavy trigger and bad landings I had I was surprised. The motor brace held true and didn't even strip a spur gear. I even changed my gearing to 21T pinion & 54T spur for these runs to give it more punch & it all held strong. So far very pleased. Would post some vids but not quite sure how to yet.

RC Enthusiast
    Well since installing the the ball X axles I have found the weak point! After about 2dozen hard bashing sessions dirt & pavement, high & long air. This is what happened after clipping a curb @ about 40mph.

RC Qualifier
    Flexible RPM arms + 5mm spring steel shafts are not easy on diff outdrives

RC Qualifier
    i think they have a faulty batch of gears since i did the same thing 3 times just driving on grass.

RC Racer
    Time for the LST diff mod

RC Enthusiast
    I've decided that the Ball-X axles are not worth the $. I am going back to my Summit axles, cheaper and more reliable. Here is what has happened to two of the ball-x since installing running on four cell.
    The ring that holds the bearings in place just snapped in two. This happened to both of the front axles.

bummer.....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormatrx View Post
    I've decided that the Ball-X axles are not worth the $. I am going back to my Summit axles, cheaper and more reliable. Here is what has happened to two of the ball-x since installing running on four cell.
    The ring that holds the bearings in place just snapped in two. This happened to both of the front axles.
    Aah, so we're back to summit axles as the best axles? Or maybe the LST axles, but i have to try those first.
    Your Ball-X axles look like they have seen quite some sand, doesnt the dust cover work properly?

RC Enthusiast
    I didn't run them in sand but I did run them in loose dirt. A few home made tracks and gravel, almost anywhere I could bash it. The boots stayed in place but did tear on the under side towards the ground. I would say the gravel was the culprit of that

RC Qualifier
    My Ball-X have been through close to 100 packs with no grease change, and I've had 0 problems with them.

In any case, it seems that your damage is covered by the TVR warranty:

RC Enthusiast
    My Ball-X have been through close to 100 packs with no grease change, and I've had 0 problems with them.

In any case, it seems that your damage is covered by the TVR warranty:

Thanks ill have to get in touch with them!

RC Qualifier
    i was going to try the ball X...but...it was just too pricey...went with the tekno instead...it's holding up well for me...

RC Enthusiast
    I might try the tekno if I have problems with the summit shafts. For the short time I used the summits before they worked fine. I have used tekno on another truck I had & they held up really well.

RC Qualifier
    Tekno don't make axles for Revo, as far as I know... Do you by any chance mean MIP?