RC Qualifier

Rally body ventilation

The rally isn't known for its superb ventilation so I would like to somehow give some more "cool" to the motor/esc. Anyone have any ideas?

Try cutting a hole in the windshield where the motor is behind it.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Just found this pic on an eBay listing for the roll cage. Do you just do that with a hobby knife?? Or is there a special technique or tool to do it with? Sorry if I may sound stupid if its obvious.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Now that ^^ Looks cool. Too bad the cage would be so heavy. Maybe someone could make a full cage out of plastic. That would be sweet. Id add one for sure.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I'm gonna cut a hole in the windshield like in that pic tonight for sure. My rally is running a little hot

RC Qualifier
    I didn't feel too comfortable cutting out the windshield so instead I cut out the grill which will still deliver some cooling to the electronics and motor. Plus I like the way this looks too.

I would look for some kind of mesh and frame to replace the windshield or windows to keep the structural integrity of the body but also ventilate and keep dirt out. Or cut out small vents that blend with the body and decals.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Is there any good way to measure the effectiveness of this? I'm know it works but I haven't found a good way to measure it other than the motor temps are lower.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroelectric View Post
    Just found this pic on an eBay listing for the roll cage. Do you just do that with a hobby knife?? Or is there a special technique or tool to do it with? Sorry if I may sound stupid if its obvious.
    The only stupid question is the one not asked. Sometimes we might refer you to your manual, but it's best that you tap into the wealth of knowledge from the folks on here.

I use an x-acto knife, smaller blade, and a NEW one. You have to go slow and be very steady, and just score the plastic, put a groove in it where you want to cut out. My hands are not steady, so I end up with wavy lines. Not that big of a deal, since we're looking more for function than fashion at this point. Then go back along those grooves with lighter pressure, to thin the plastic more. Usually you can just push the piece out at that point, but if it won't go easy, cut the groove again. If you try to push it out when it won't go, you'll end up with a big tear across some other part of the car that you didn't want.

You can also cut a few grooves all the way through with a knife and then use scissors.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

RC Qualifier
    I already decided not to do the windshield and used an x-acto knife. I know how to cut out parts of the body I just never did a windshield before. Since its a big part of the body I thought there was a special way to do it.

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    I already decided not to do the windshield and used an x-acto knife. I know how to cut out parts of the body I just never did a windshield before. Since its a big part of the body I thought there was a special way to do it.
    Oh ok. Let us know how the ventilation turns out.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

RC Qualifier
    I was having the same problem. I cut the grille out, and used a body reamer to put holes in the front and rear windows. It helped quite a bit lowering temps.

A quick note on the pic above with the roll cage, that's a friend of mine who posted that pic to show the cage he builds for the Rally. He does NOT recommend completely cutting the windows out, as you will take away all of the body continuity and cause the roof to collapse. Unless.... you have a cage of course!

AB

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Qualifier
    That's a super neat idea. I like it! Although I can't do any of this because my rally is temporarily dead for another week or so. (Bad crash) Also love your rally, it looks really sweet. And also tell your friend that he should be expecting an order for one of those roll cages very soon!

Very creative idea mate...nice!
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    That's a super neat idea. I like it! Although I can't do any of this because my rally is temporarily dead for another week or so. (Bad crash) Also love your rally, it looks really sweet. And also tell your friend that he should be expecting an order for one of those roll cages very soon!
    Thanks! Check this post...http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5513595

Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    Very creative idea mate...nice!
    Thanks Mate! It works very well.

AB

RC Qualifier
    Aburg can you link that tire and wheel set? Someone should start a wheel thread of which ones work best. Iv tried the supra sales on my slash and had the wheel popping off issue that been discussed in another thread. The supras don't allow you to screw the wheel far enough on.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
    Aburg can you link that tire and wheel set? Someone should start a wheel thread of which ones work best. Iv tried the supra sales on my slash and had the wheel popping off issue that been discussed in another thread. The supras don't allow you to screw the wheel far enough on.
    Those are Pro Line Road Rage Street 1:8 Buggy tires mounted on Pro Line Split Six V2 Black wheels. The tire part # is 9012-00, & the wheels are 2724-03.

BTW, I have several sets of Suprasales wheel/tire combos, and have had no problems with them. I even wore a set of road tires bald, without them ever coming loose. What hubs are you using? I'm using XO-1 17mm hubs.

AB

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    Those are Pro Line Road Rage Street 1:8 Buggy tires mounted on Pro Line Split Six V2 Black wheels. The tire part # is 9012-00, & the wheels are 2724-03.

BTW, I have several sets of Suprasales wheel/tire combos, and have had no problems with them. I even wore a set of road tires bald, without them ever coming loose. What hubs are you using? I'm using XO-1 17mm hubs.

AB
    This was on my slash not my rally. On my slash I'm using the tekno 17mm adapters. I have traxxas 17mm adapters to put on the rally. I have not put them on it yet though. As I'm still collecting my parts before I put it all together.

RC Qualifier
    This was on my slash not my rally. On my slash I'm using the tekno 17mm adapters. I have traxxas 17mm adapters to put on the rally. I have not put them on it yet though. As I'm still collecting my parts before I put it all together.
    I have the XO-1 17MM hubs on my Slash too. I'm also running Suprasales, and tearing it up with them!!![IMG][/IMG]

AB

RC Qualifier
    Is there a difference with the xo-1 17mm and the standard traxxas 17mm adapters?

Is there a difference with the xo-1 17mm and the standard traxxas 17mm adapters?
    Yes, they come with an offset and hub retainer...post #88 shows you a pic of the X0-1 adapter
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5444236
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    Thanks Mate! It works very well.

AB
    I may look at doing this to my PF8-GT body if I can't get my motor temps under control.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    I may look at doing this to my PF8-GT body if I can't get my motor temps under control.
    Love the avatar!