RC Qualifier

Stripping diffs even after shimming

I've stripped my third diff now. This last one I shimmed so tight, I think it was tighter than it probably should have been but I wanted to make extra sure it wouldn't strip. Its clicking again. Is there any other thing to do about this other than just keep replacing the diffs?

I'm about to try a center diff to hopefully help with this problem, but since it unloads the wheels when they lose traction, will that stop it from driving up trees? I can't take all the kids fun away

And last thing, when putting these diffs back together, I can never seem to get that seal in correctly, how does everyone do it? Do you put the seal on the top plastic piece or do you align it on the metal piece before putting it back together?

RC Racer
    are u putting the shims on the right side?
    Blue 1/16 summit vxl crawler

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cjroy1998 View Post
    are u putting the shims on the right side?
    Of course, I'm not an idiot

RC Qualifier
    So if I loosen the slipper will that stop the clicking? Or should I shim the diff with an extra shim? I hate to buy a new ring and pinion when I have 2 sitting here and one in the car that work, they just click under hard acceleration.

RC Qualifier
    well i loosened the slipper, still clicks under hard acceleration. I'm guessing shimming it more won't help? I have the slipper loosened to the point where it will just lift a wheel a little bit under hard acceleration, i'm worried its a little too loose now.

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    So if I loosen the slipper will that stop the clicking? Or should I shim the diff with an extra shim? I hate to buy a new ring and pinion when I have 2 sitting here and one in the car that work, they just click under hard acceleration.

Loosening the slipper too much will give other problems (ruined slipper pads, overheated motor and/or ESC due to high rpm).
    If you hear clicking, the damage on the diff ring or pinion gear is already done.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Right, thats what i'm worried about. So if its just lifting a wheel under acceleration, is that too loose? Like basically you get one of the front wheels coming up but no wheelies.

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Loosening the slipper too much will give other problems (ruined slipper pads, overheated motor and/or ESC due to high rpm).
    If you hear clicking, the damage on the diff ring or pinion gear is already done.

RC Qualifier
    HR bulkheads. Adding too many shims in an effort to strengthen adds drag and increases the load on the gears. And, five one thousandths of an inch of added engagement is not gonna make a difference anyway, the problem is plastic flexes.
    I have found aluminum skid plates acct as a girdle and help a bit to keep the bulkhead a bit more rigid but there's no getting around the facts - gotta spend 120.00 for the best hope....
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    I'm about to try a center diff to hopefully help with this problem, but since it unloads the wheels when they lose traction, will that stop it from driving up trees? I can't take all the kids fun away
    After reading that I see the problem. Your kids are putting alot of stress on the drive line trying to use it like a crawler. If you want it to hold up to that you'll need alum bulks and to properly shim a diff with a new ring and pinion. Don't add too many like you mentioned before, too many is just as bad as none. Then the diffs should hold up to being treated like that.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajekalBum View Post
    After reading that I see the problem. Your kids are putting alot of stress on the drive line trying to use it like a crawler. If you want it to hold up to that you'll need alum bulks and to properly shim a diff with a new ring and pinion. Don't add too many like you mentioned before, too many is just as bad as none. Then the diffs should hold up to being treated like that.
    He just drives it up the trunk vertical so he can backflip. Ive taught him to release before it hits the Ground, but that doesn't always Happen. Aluminum is out unless I find them cheap. Only so much I'm willing to spend on this little truck.

RC poster
    You may be tightening the diff housing to tight .it will warp a bit