Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    western Australia
    Posts
    217

    best motor and esc combo rusty

    hi, so im just wondering what the best motor and esc combo for my rustler is? no budget. just curious ehat each of you guys thinks is the best all round combo for racing and bashing cheers
    modded 3906 e-maxx

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    pennsylvania
    Posts
    348
    the castle Mamba Max Pro with the 550 size motor is pretty good

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,054
    Tekin rx8 and a there 4 poles motors
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    82
    You just simply can't beat the VXL system for its durability and versatility. Also, it's one of the cheaper systems out there too! Pair it with a 3s with proper gearing, and you have plenty of consistent power on tap as well. If you couldn't already tell- I'm a bit biased!
    Start with a stick pack and work your way up, kid

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,783
    A castle MMP with either a 3800 or 4600 is always a good option too.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,054
    I can't wait to see the Esc tekin is going to release to replace the RS Pro. It's going to be one powerful esc.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    190
    Ok listen too me, go to youtube, type in draven, and it should so draven3107's channel or whatever the numbers are. Click on the 114 mph speed run he has. That will show you the mamba max pro is the top of the food chain on motor/esc combos.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    7,276
    Quote Originally Posted by zreuille98 View Post
    Ok listen too me, go to youtube, type in draven, and it should so draven3107's channel or whatever the numbers are. Click on the 114 mph speed run he has. That will show you the mamba max pro is the top of the food chain on motor/esc combos.
    As far as I remember draven3907 used a Mamba Monster ESC and not a Mamba Max Pro....
    Nobody is born with experience

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    190
    Oh really? I thought it was the mmp, well then go the the mamba monster.

  10. #10
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,209
    Quote Originally Posted by zreuille98 View Post
    Oh really? I thought it was the mmp, well then go the the mamba monster.
    That is a very specific application, good for going real fast in a straight line, not much good for other applications in a Rusty.

    What is "best" is really defendant on what you are doing with your truck and your personal preferences. I like Castle ESC because you can program them on the PC or with the Field Programing card. For a 1/10th scale truck I like the MMP as for motors for a 2wd I like the 4600 or 5700 for 4wd I like the 3800
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    western Australia
    Posts
    217
    cheers for all the info. I dont want a system for speed runs, I need a system that I can use when I race in the 1/10 class and also.bash when im not racing.
    modded 3906 e-maxx

  12. #12
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,209
    Quote Originally Posted by B3nno8 View Post
    cheers for all the info. I dont want a system for speed runs, I need a system that I can use when I race in the 1/10 class and also.bash when im not racing.
    I would go for a Mamba Max Pro to start with. For bashing power the 1406 and 1410 series motors are awesome. If you get into racing you will likely want a sensored motor and the MMP can handle them as well.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    190
    Yeah, check too see what your tracks rules are, like my track requires sensored motors, but my old track let me use sensorless
    Cheers

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,054
    If you into racing check out the new Tekin RS Gen2 Esc. Has a 7.4volt bec and even greater dynamic timing boost and extremely smooth throttle response and brakes. Also can run sensored,sensorless and had a dual mode which lets motors sensor start the. Switches to sensorless operation. Tekin can also be program on a computer via Hotwire. Tekin is about the best you can get for racing ESC.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  15. #15
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    If you into racing check out the new Tekin RS Gen2 Esc. Has a 7.4volt bec and even greater dynamic timing boost and extremely smooth throttle response and brakes. Also can run sensored,sensorless and had a dual mode which lets motors sensor start the. Switches to sensorless operation. Tekin can also be program on a computer via Hotwire. Tekin is about the best you can get for racing ESC.
    Features between the Tekin and MMP are very similar they both have the mode to switch from sensored to sensor less among others. Tekin is a better ESC IMO but you pay for it. I just looked A Main is offering that ESC for right at $210, you can get a MMP a lot cheaper than that. Bang for the buck for a basher or casual racer I like the Castle offering.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Features between the Tekin and MMP are very similar they both have the mode to switch from sensored to sensor less among others. Tekin is a better ESC IMO but you pay for it. I just looked A Main is offering that ESC for right at $210, you can get a MMP a lot cheaper than that. Bang for the buck for a basher or casual racer I like the Castle offering.
    I can agree and disagree with your view point. In terms of actual price yes the MMP is a cheaper setup. The Tekin RS Gen 2 is 174 and combo(includes a new Gen 2 motor) is 249 while the MMP combo is 199 on Amains. The thing is the Tekin setup comes with a roar approved sensored motor and different turn options while the Castle you only have sensorless options(you can buy the ESC alone too). This can become a problem if the track follows roar rules then you cannot run sensorless in a stock class or you'll be forced to run in a open mod. This alone isn't even fair to a beginner. So if you bought a MMP combo to bash and causal race you'll might end up needing to buy another motor to race if and only if the track requires and follows roar rules(the track I run does for stock). You can easily upgrade with the Tekin to more powerful motors when skills on he track improved (can be done with the MMP). Yes both ESC have similar features but that where it ends. Tekin is constantly upgrading the firmware's dynamic timing and turbo/boost features with countless user and racer feedback. Every single firmware patch make major improvements in how the ESC felt and perform on the track. The Tekin is also a more powerful ESC (RS gen2 120amps per phase MMP 65amps) and a much more powerful BEC now (6.0v/7.4v 5.5amps) while the MMP (couldn't find the info) is know to have a weak BEC and problems handling powerful servos and you'll need to purchase a external BEC to bypass this(Castle's is like 20$). This alone can play a major affect in racing (No one likes a weak servo). Tekin is a much smaller ESC (about the size of the MMP fan area) and is easier to place in different areas on the chassis(and other types of Rc chassis's too) to help with weight balance and keep the LCG low. And b/c the Tekin can run sensorless motor it (and have experience with this) makes a great bashing ESC too. Never had a single issue bashing with my Rs Pro. In my opinion in terms of actual design, quality, and performance the Tekin does end up being well worth the price as a racing ESC(maybe better value then the MMP?).

    Now is the MMP a bad ESC in my eyes? No. Both brands(and others) have had issues with some of there products but they have fixed them and stood behind their customers if get anything resolved.Now the MMP is a great ESC for exactly what you described. For speed runs and bashing the MMP is perfect(once you bypass the BEC). The Tekin was never design for speed runs or even running 4pole(RX8 and upcoming mod ESC is design for that) and limited to just a 3s lipo.] Castle does have a better warranty (1years vs 120days). The MMP is a proven ESC(possibly the best bashing ESC to date). Both ESC are proven. It does down to personal preference between the 2.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 05-16-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  17. #17
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,209
    You and I have gone around and aroudn on this before. The Tekin is a race based ESC and it is good at it but you pay for it. The MMP is more of a jack of all trades type thing. Castle does update the firmware add feature very often I dont know if more or less than Tekin but I cant imagine there is that much of a difference as Castle updates are frequent, in fact there is one I need to go get right now.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    7,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    You and I have gone around and aroudn on this before. The Tekin is a race based ESC and it is good at it but you pay for it. The MMP is more of a jack of all trades type thing. Castle does update the firmware add feature very often I dont know if more or less than Tekin but I cant imagine there is that much of a difference as Castle updates are frequent, in fact there is one I need to go get right now.
    The last final is over three years old, lol. But of course the Betas come a lot more often. Do you still have to get the 1.39 or did I miss something?
    Nobody is born with experience

  19. #19
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    The last final is over three years old, lol. But of course the Betas come a lot more often. Do you still have to get the 1.39 or did I miss something?
    I may have miss spoke there a bit, I was talking to a buddy last night and he mentioned there was a new version of Castle Link available, I assumed it had a new firmware. Still have to go look and see.

    One other big difference between the Tekin and Castle is the voltage they can handle, the Tekin has a 3s limit the Castle a 6s.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    You and I have gone around and aroudn on this before. The Tekin is a race based ESC and it is good at it but you pay for it. The MMP is more of a jack of all trades type thing. Castle does update the firmware add feature very often I dont know if more or less than Tekin but I cant imagine there is that much of a difference as Castle updates are frequent, in fact there is one I need to go get right now.
    You are correct. And has human once we like something we hate to change from it. You prefer Castle I prefer Tekin. As how each software feels between the 2 that really depends on the person using them. And regrading price, does the pros or cons make up for a $50 difference between the 2? Depends on the person and situation or use. That's really what it comes down too in the end.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    7,276
    I was only curious if there was a new one already. I checked and there is no new version at the moment later than 1.39. Not everyone found it yet apparently. I took a look at the revisions of the Tekin software and there is not much of a difference in update frequency.

    The only spec I read from Castle about the MMP is 75A and not the earlier mentioned 65. I can tell the MMP can handle more than 75A on 3S without an issue. I did more than enough speed runs where it did well over 100A (not only peaks) even without the fan kicking in for help.

    Lots of choices depend on the budget. Even if the price/quality ratio is the same, there is always a decision to make about how much you want to (or can!) spend.
    I am using a Leopard WP-SC8 ESC for a while now which works great so far. Probably close or even the same when it comes to price/quality ratio compared with the Castle and Tekin, but just a different budget level.
    Nobody is born with experience

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,054
    From what I found on other sites indicated the MMP max current is 120amps/continuous 65amp. Idk if this is per phase or total. Bc traxxas vxl is rated at what 200amps? But what traxxas is doing is taking the per phase amps and multiplying by 3. The vxl is actually 65-70amps per phase.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  23. #23
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,783
    I'd like to put 200 amps through a VXL-3S and watch it explode.

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    7,276
    I dont see the difference between amps per fase or in total. Is there a situation that more than two of the three wires get power?
    I never understood the VXL specs. 200A on 3S would be more than 2200W.
    Nobody is born with experience

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I dont see the difference between amps per fase or in total. Is there a situation that more than two of the three wires get power?
    I never understood the VXL specs. 200A on 3S would be more than 2200W.
    I think is states how much each can actually handle. While others you per phase(those cheap 35amp Esc) and other use the total for marketing. Unless the total refers to when all fets can deliver the power at once during a time a motor needs max power.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  26. #26
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    7,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    I think is states how much each can actually handle. While others you per phase(those cheap 35amp Esc) and other use the total for marketing. Unless the total refers to when all fets can deliver the power at once during a time a motor needs max power.
    Even when you are at max power, there is still only one pair at the time receiving the current.
    Jimmie Neutron's avatar explains nicely how it works:
    Nobody is born with experience

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Even when you are at max power, there is still only one pair at the time receiving the current.
    Jimmie Neutron's avatar explains nicely how it works:
    that's what I thought. So really the traxxas vxl isn't a 200amp Esc but a 65-68amp Esc?
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  28. #28
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2
    I have a rustler vxl with a 25/76 gearing and its pretty good for bashing. races I won a few with that gearing too

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    7,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    that's what I thought. So really the traxxas vxl isn't a 200amp Esc but a 65-68amp Esc?
    I don't know if the VXL-3s specs should be divided by 3, but I have seen it do more than 100A on 2S. I even once logged a peak of 180A at the moment the Velineon's bearings got ruined.
    Nobody is born with experience

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •