RC Champion

Frustration on rear bearing carriers!

Brought Rustler on business trip to show a friend I hadn't seen in years. After only 5 min driving, right rear bearing carrier shattered on the bottom.

We made a quick trip to the local Hobbytown and bought RPM rear carriers. But when I went to install it later, total RPM fail! They put two left carriers in the package! By the time I discovered it, the store was closed and now I'm in meetings for five days!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

Are you buying the carriers intended for the Rustler or are you using something like a Slash 4x4 carrier to gain rear toe in? I ask because if memory is serving me correctly the Rustler rear carriers are the same left to right side.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    I had the same thing happen to me with the rear RPM bearing carriers. For the Rustler it doesn't matter they are both the same. I installed on mine and they performed perfectly.

RC Champion
    The RPM carriers I bought have one side clearly larger, threaded for the camber link screw, the far side of that hole is much smaller diameter, too small for the screw to enter, so they are "sided" not "ambidextrous".

To be honest, I might just buy TRX or STRC aluminum when I go back to hobby store.

RC Enthusiast
    I would get the aluminium Carriers anyway, RPM rear and front carriers are known to brake under extreme abuse like a crash or a decent jump, the TRX Aluminum will be better in the long run. Not saying RPM is bad, but that is where RPM fails to be good at. That and the bumper, T-bone has them beat on that in my opinion. a-arms RPM can't be beat.

You might have got a set of front or a set of rears. The front carriers are a different size for the camber link mounts, then the rear.

RC Champion
    Like I've always said, anything in the four corners of the vehicle... should be aluminum. You do not require any flex in these areas and anything 'plastic' is known to break. STRC is known for their quality, and I believe REM has a set too.
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Competitor
    I had that problem when i put my carriers on, I just grabbed a drill bit the size of the screw and put it threw there until the screw threads. Haven't had a problem yet.

Frustration on rear bearing carriers!

Quote Originally Posted by OlorinTharkun View Post
    The RPM carriers I bought have one side clearly larger, threaded for the camber link screw, the far side of that hole is much smaller diameter, too small for the screw to enter, so they are "sided" not "ambidextrous"...
    If you bought "80382 Rear Bearing Carriers for Traxxas Electric Rustler, Stampede, Slash & Bandit," then there is 0-offset and they are the same right and left. You should have little to no problem threading a screw into either side. If you have difficulty, thread the screw from the "larger" side once all the way through. Use of drill bits is not necessary and moreover not recommended for these screw holes.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-29-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    the above is right
    I just put some front carriers on the stampede I have and they were RPM and the thread home on one side is smaller than the other just run the screw in from the large side and your good to go

RC Champion
    the hole is suppose to be small. thats how mine were. you gotta press the screw firmly against the hole to get it started but it is fine.

RC Champion
    I'll give that a try, threading thru the opposite side all the way then in from what used to be the "too small" side.

Time available to run or wrench is very limited on this trip. Not to mention its been raining quite a bit!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    the hole is suppose to be small. thats how mine were. you gotta press the screw firmly against the hole to get it started but it is fine.
    its like that with all of the traxxas parts I've bought so far.
    Matthew 19:26

RC Champion
    Went and swapped them out for new STRC blue aluminum ones. Gives me new bearings too, so it works out fine.

RC Racer
    This is a pic of the rem and some intengy carriers i got the intengy first but didn't have or could find the right size bearings so I just went with the rem and I was happy but I like the blue on the intengy better looks like its painted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OlorinTharkun View Post
    Went and swapped them out for new STRC blue aluminum ones. Gives me new bearings too, so it works out fine.
    Good choice. Now you can survive the the meetings.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Home from business trip... got the STRC carriers installed. Ready to rock and roll!

Chris, I'm no expert on Integy parts, but those don't look like they are made for the Rustler... and from what I've read on the forums, REM has a much better reputation for quality than Integy... just FYI
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 05-04-2013 at 09:40 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisfoster View Post
    This is a pic of the rem and some intengy carriers i got the intengy first but didn't have or could find the right size bearings so I just went with the rem and I was happy but I like the blue on the intengy better looks like its painted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a set of Integy Carriers as well, But mine came with these plastic adaptors to use the stock size bearing. I still have them, and they hold up great, only 1 of the decent parts Integy could make at least.

RC Champion
    Funny thing is the aluminum carriers I just bought probably aren't staying on the Rusty anymore! Had a failure on the 6852X driveshafts at the joint near the axle (happened on both the Rustler AND the Pede, so I'm done with the plastic). So now I bought Tekno driveshafts that come with bearing carriers for the Rusty! Bought a set for the Stampede, too, except they're the Protrac kind, since the Pede really needs the Protrac stability the most!

I guess my Slash will be getting the STRC bearing carriers after only a few runs on the Rustler! Very soon all three of my 2WD trucks will have metal driveshafts (the Slash already has MIP's but only had RPM bearing carriers).
    Last edited by OlorinTharkun; 05-18-2013 at 09:58 PM.