RC Racer

Can't think of a proper title right now

I'm trying to figure out a way to mod my summit so it can flip upright when it turns over. Was thinking of using airplane landing gear or attaching a rod to a servo. Anyone done this yet?

RC Racer
    Yeah, it's called legs lol. Jk!

RC Racer
    How about "Self Righting Summit" ?

RC Racer
    Lol! My legs are kinda broken right now and it's not that fun driving within arms/cane reach distance!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoMaxPro View Post
    How about "Self Righting Summit" ?
    That sounds good. Now I have to search on how to edit the thread.

RC Champion
    Edit what. once your edit time is up you have to ask the moderators to edit for you.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Racer
    I was going to edit the title of the thread. Cancel that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    There was someone who did it in the Mini Revo forum a while back. Cant remember who but they mounted a servo on the side of the chassis with an arm attached and connected it to the 3rd channel on their radio. From what I could see in the videos at the time, it worked. But it was pretty clumsy and obtrusive during normal running. Most likely CAUSING more flip overs that it was worth.

A full size summit is a completely different deal. Were talking HEAVY. An arm on a servo isnt going to cut it... not to mention how long it would have to be to be effective. Airplane landing gear generally only moves 3-4 inches tops. So that aint gonna work either. Apparently, today im that guy pointing out all the problems and providing non of the solutions... and I hate that guy. But maybe a hook on the end of your cane is the best option at the moment (said in all seriousness, not at all mockingly).
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Thanks pavmentsurfer! I agree with you about the servo and arm setup. I'm going to try and find that thread in the mini revo forum.

Maybe I should buy another summit to flip the other one...but I have to be careful that I don't flip it too!

There is an old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

ie don't flip your rig, learn to drive with better control

By the way in that mini summit a long arm was needed to flip it back upright. In the 1/8 summit you dont need to flip the entire truck. all you would need is a stout arm to go side ways ( possibly both sides), once your tires touch firm ground and you have mediocre balance you could turn the wheels and power the truck back into an upright position.
    Last edited by noir 522; 05-16-2013 at 01:10 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Just cover the body in a heap of springs lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    There is an old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

ie don't flip your rig, learn to drive with better control

By the way in that mini summit a long arm was needed to flip it back upright. In the 1/8 summit you dont need to flip the entire truck. all you would need is a stout arm to go side ways ( possibly both sides), once your tires touch firm ground and you have mediocre balance you could turn the wheels and power the truck back into an upright position.
    If I had summits set up and as nice as yours I think could be a better driver!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozrevoguy View Post
    Just cover the body in a heap of springs lol
    Or maybe an airbag system?

I'm going to still try and brainstorm something and in the meantime maybe my driving will improve.

RC Competitor
    You could do what the cheapie department store toys do, add a round role cage that forces it to go back on its wheels. It would look really goofy, but it would do the job. I have no idea what you would use to construct the bubble cage, but it could work. Good luck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Anyone ever seen the old show "robot wars"? It was robots battling in an arena. Many of them had "flippers" that would right them if they got rolled over. Most were pneumatic.

I do have to say, another summit with something like a forklift arm on the front would be perfect. Heck, you could even pick it up and drive it back to you if it broke.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Pav,

Yup, I do remember that show. Some of their ideas would work with the summit.

I read the thread you mentioned. Krallopian seems to have put it on hold.

Mr. Zed,

I'll look into your suggestion on the bubble cage.

Maybe I could use a really big hydraulic arm, mount it to the frame and body and have it do a dump truck style of flip? The weight of the chassis would help it upright itself after a certain angle but that would work if it flipped on its back and not on its side.

RC Champion
    Hey guys what's all this talk about that AWESOME Revo Flipper!?! :P

Hah I ended up getting the Summit before finishing that project, so once I got the correct arm it was more of a.. "oh look, it still works.. neat!" event.

I'm making a flipper for my FPV Summit, just waiting on my 3D printer to be resent so I can get some prototypes setup.

I have two 450oz torque servos that will work together to make one arm roll the car back to its side at least. With locking diffs it's a lot easier to do, and with a correct radio setup I'll be able to just turn a knob as slow or as fast as I want to push it back to its side.

You can see the knob on my "Auxiliary" panel:

I've thought about making some gyro based arms that as soon as the truck tilts these "arms" will automatically fold out and prevent the car from flipping over. The issue with this idea is that if I'm going 40mph and an arm sticks out.. it'll no doubt just be ripped off.. perhaps wheels instead, I dunno so many possibilities!

RC Racer
    I'm looking forward to this krallopian!