RC Qualifier

Brand new summit issues

So, I got my new 5607L Blue Summit today and just noticed a few oddities. I am very familiar with traxxas having owned a ERBE that I just sold here, and still owning a p4de.

Here is the odd things:

1. Toe and camber are jacked up on seemingly all the wheels.

2. Steering end points seem way off too. When sitting flat in the garage, it turns way more to the right than to the left. Not sure why this is, but it's really pronounced. Any way to fix this?

3. Can't go into reverse if you just tap forward until you brake then reverse.

Funny thing is my neighbor has a year old Summit, and he has not done a thing to his except drive it and his is identical to mine... all 3 issues I have, he still has on his. I am OCD, so I got to fix mine.

Anyone else notice this on new, out-of-the-box summits?

Thanks...

RC Champion
    All RTR veh need to be tuned out of the box. My steering was out of whack. I also had to reset the remote back to factory and reset all the throttle points.

RC Qualifier
    First thing to do is go to Traxxas website look up electric and go to the summit. There you will find the complete owners manual. download and print it off. You can also get a full schamatic and parts list I would print that off. The Summit comes with a factory set camber and toe, you can check the full manual and see if it is set corrrectly. I thought mine was way out until I saw the factory settings and all was good. When the Summit is running the camber and toe will level off, otherwise they will not be aligned properly. (hope that made sense)

On the Transmitter is a button you can set the steering trim to correct for over steering. If that doesnt work there are push rods that allow you to realign the entire wheel. I have had to reset mine due to use. Reverse has a delay. The Summits I have are 3 to 4 months old. Mine you have to stop wait a second and then press the trigger forward and it will go into reverse. It was a pain at first but now I'm use to it and it is no big deal.

I love my Summits they will go places I can hardly get to. I do alot of crawling, hill climbing and some bashing. Imo these trucks are not designed to go 40 or 50 mph. I know you can modify them to do it, but that's why I own an Emaxx, Tmaxx, and Slash. Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    All RTR veh need to be tuned out of the box. My steering was out of whack. I also had to reset the remote back to factory and reset all the throttle points.
    Yeah. I guess me revo was better out of the box and spoiled me. The wacky steering is what I don't get but I will reset everything and center the servos and see what happens.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    #3 is how the ESC operates. The RC must be stopped before it will engage reverse.

You can try re-centering the servo horns to see if that cures the issue in #2. I would start with resetting the controller completely, re-binding and recalibrating the ESC.

#1 can be done through pillow ball and rod adjustments... be sure to keep the proper toe settings; which are not straight. lol
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    I am a little OCD myself and had to do a little tuning to make myself happy. It probably wasn't necessary, but out of the box, I ended up adjusting the horns, camber and toe. I'll admit that I also adjusted the height initially, which affected both, so that was my fault. Still - I didn't mind because I like tinkering.

Downloading the manual is probably the best thing a new owner can do. I followed that suggestion and couldn't be happier.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
    I am a little OCD myself and had to do a little tuning to make myself happy. It probably wasn't necessary, but out of the box, I ended up adjusting the horns, camber and toe. I'll admit that I also adjusted the height initially, which affected both, so that was my fault. Still - I didn't mind because I like tinkering.

Downloading the manual is probably the best thing a new owner can do. I followed that suggestion and couldn't be happier.
    Yeah. I too tinkered and have it setup to my liking now. And for the manual I had it downloaded and read before my summit arrived.