Thread: Battery is HOT

RC Qualifier

Battery is HOT

Just got done charging a 7 cell 3000mah 8.4volt nimh and I just checked it was done but as usual I see how hot it is and I can't keep it in my hand for more than 4-5 seconds without it burning. The sad thing is it came at Christmas a MAX of 15-20 uses. Thanks for looking

RC Qualifier
    Ya my nimhs always got hot wether it was charging or or running...I don't know if there's a way around it
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnewbie1234 View Post
    Just got done charging a 7 cell 3000mah 8.4volt nimh and I just checked it was done but as usual I see how hot it is and I can't keep it in my hand for more than 4-5 seconds without it burning. The sad thing is it came at Christmas a MAX of 15-20 uses. Thanks for looking
    Use a lower amp to charge . Makes a big different s .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    Yeah like rhardy said, use a lower amp to charge, especially if you have a fast charger like me that charges in a half hour, it'll heat up quick with those

They should get warm, but not really hot.
    Could be a sign that a issue is developing.do not run any battery all the way dead,especially under heavy load.
    It will damage the batt.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    We both have a stampede xl-5 I know it gets hot but this is EXTREME compared to normal, we have the standard Ez-peak charger normally it is warm and I can hold it but this is hold it like a hot potato I can't for a time more than 5 (still starching the max) seconds

RC Qualifier
    Ya that's how all my nimhs got even if I charged them at 1 amp
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC poster
    I have the same question.
    I use a b6pro ac computer charger to my new 3000mh 8,4v battery from traxxas and i have it on 3 amp when i charge.
    Charged it for the first time on 3a that give it 1c charge, it been real hot, the temprature was 55c when it was finish. Is this normal or could it been damaged?

From my quick Google search 60C is a threshold.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    With my 6 cell and 7 cell 5000 m-h NiMHs, venom and traxxas, they stay at ambient during the majority of charging using Onyx 235, Traxxas wall plug charger, and Dynamite Wall chargers. These are all peak chargers. Using the Onyx I will charge anywhere from 0.1C to 1C.

With 2 minutes left to charge and for a couple minutes after hitting peak, battery temps will rise anywhere from 113f to 135F. If I don't want the battery to heat up, I set a time limit or stop charging just before it tries to get to max charge. The problem seems to be in trying to get to that last bit of charge into the batteries to get to max.

If I know how many mAh I need to get in or I know the peak voltage I want to get to without overheating the battery, I'll set the charger to stop at a time point before achieving max charge ... No more overheating.

Having said that I've accidentally got my NiMH to 212F after 10 minute run in UL-1 hydroplane. Batteries still charge fine and run fine. Very lucky I guess, but in general it's best to keep NiMH and LiPo <143 degrees max.