RC Racer

The nitro blues... now the slipper clutch!!!

The world of Nitro is a new hobby (obsession) of mine, the problem is I'm getting frustrated. In the beginning it was exciting and fun working on my T Maxx, now it is getting old. In the beginning it was cosmetic upgrades, then as things broke it turned into steel shafts and axle carriers along with any other high impact performance upgrades needed. I literally bought a new chassis and rebuilt it from the ground up every part has been upgraded or replaced. The problem is I feel like every time I drive the car something happens to make the car end up back on the workbench. Now some of it was clearly beginner errors in driving or in the mechanical repairs being done incorrectly.

Now I just got the car back together after my last mod went horribly wrong. I used a carbon fiber disc brake, and I hated it. I could not get it set correctly to stop the car properly. I noticed the disc is toast and it even shredded the pads up, I put a steel disc back in. While I had the tranny out I replaced the spur gear, just to change things up. Before I fire the car back up I get it a good once over and I noticed a crack or break in the slipper clutch. The metal part attached to the spur gear, the part that hold the pads is broken. This might have broke due to me cranking down to hard on the outer nut. Will this be a huge problem? Or should I replace it right away? Also is it possible to easily strip the screws to the tranny, I have several that are not getting tight? If they are stripped it looks like I could use a longer screw and I might have enough room in the tranny to slide a nut in on top???

Too much Torque on the slipper nut can damage the slipper plate. Order another; you may get some run time if it’s not cracked too badly. But if you run it and it fails you may damage more parts.

Yes you can strip the tranny mounting holes if you torque the screws too tight. If its on a corner you can use a longer screw and a nylock nut, if is a middle hole and you use a longer screw make sure its not too long or it can enter the tranny and damage a gear.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Racer
    Thanks on my way out the door, just called the LHS they have the rebuild kit in stock, then to the hardware store to look for some hardware for the tranny issue.

Still I have to take this thing apart again!!! Ugh, I swear I can do it blind folded now.