Thread: Motor for 3s/4s

RC Racer

Motor for 3s/4s

I have a Rally GT8 and I want to upgrade the motor from stock. What would you suggest as the fastest motor/esc for 3s and maybe 4s? I was looking at castle mamba max pro 2400 and castle mamba monster 2200.

RC Champion
    MMP/2400 will be faster, and is just perfect on 3-4s.
    Land of the free?

RC Racer
    Will I be able to use my stock transmitter?

RC Champion
    Yes. 2.4ghz correct? Itll do fine. I run my mmp/2400 in my slash with 1/8 wheels and geared 19/52 on 3s. Does about 50mph and temps are 130 motor 100 esc.
    Land of the free?

RC Racer
    Yes it is!

RC Racer
    Also would I need an esc mounting plate?

RC Champion
    Yes. The snappyrc one on ebay is my favorite. Looks great too.

Make sure it works with the rally though.
    Land of the free?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I have the losi branded MMP/2800 on my rally GT8 geared mod1 15t/38t and its fast but temp jump real quick so I went back to my MMM/2200 geared Mod1 20T/38T, less to worry with high temp and I can run it for long time.

RC Racer
    So what would be the difference between mmp/2400 and mmm/2200?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    The MMP 2400 is a good setup on the Rally. Its a smaller can motor and fits in there perfectly. It's actually quite fast, and you can run 3S and 4S with it. If you decided to go to the 1500 series which are the 2200 and 2650 you would need to beef up the drivetrain. Those are some powerful motors and would do a number to the stock axles. Out of those 2 i'd suggest the 2650 as it will run more RPM which would in turn give you more speed. I have not installed these in the Rally yet, but you might need to mod the chassis to fit them. I know I did for the Slash 4x4 HCG chassis.

Oh and the MMP controller fits in the chassis nicely without modding other than fabbing a plate or picking up a Snappy RC mount. The MMM you would have to move the Rx box to the top of the front of the chassis.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If I was building a 3S setup, id go with the MMP/2400 combo. I ran this setup in my pede 4X4 and it was excellent. Extremely fast on 3S. However, if I was going to run 4S, id definitely go with the MMM/2200 or 2650 combo. The 2400 motor CAN handle 4S but if your going to push tall gearing it really cant handle it as well as the 2200/2650 motors can without generating extra heat.
    Thats just me... i like to have some wiggle room when your dealing wtih expensive electronics and heat.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    So how would the 2650 handle 3s?

This is the ET-3S & ET-2400kv in my Rally 4WD. Basically the same as the MMP & 2400kv. The only thing is the ET-3S has a 3S limit in the software.

Castle MMM & 2650kv in my Slash 4x4. I mainly run 3S and 4S in this truck. 3S actually runs nice and cool with no issues at all. 4S really wakes it up though.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    The MMP 2400 is a good setup on the Rally. Its a smaller can motor and fits in there perfectly. It's actually quite fast, and you can run 3S and 4S with it. If you decided to go to the 1500 series which are the 2200 and 2650 you would need to beef up the drivetrain. Those are some powerful motors and would do a number to the stock axles. Out of those 2 i'd suggest the 2650 as it will run more RPM which would in turn give you more speed. I have not installed these in the Rally yet, but you might need to mod the chassis to fit them. I know I did for the Slash 4x4 HCG chassis.

Oh and the MMP controller fits in the chassis nicely without modding other than fabbing a plate or picking up a Snappy RC mount. The MMM you would have to move the Rx box to the top of the front of the chassis.

I have the mm2 w/ 2650kv motor in my rally and the only thing I had to do was move the rx box to the top of the chassis, no other modification required. Unfortunately I'm only running 2s at this time (waiting and waiting for spc to get more stock) and then I will be running 3s and 4s. However on 2s the thing moves very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoshea View Post
    I have the mm2 w/ 2650kv motor in my rally and the only thing I had to do was move the rx box to the top of the chassis, no other modification required. Unfortunately I'm only running 2s at this time (waiting and waiting for spc to get more stock) and then I will be running 3s and 4s. However on 2s the thing moves very nicely.
    Yes you are correct. All you have to do is bolt the Rx box to the top of the chassis then bolt the ESC to the bottom pan. Easy peasy. The MMM & MMM2 are very good controllers. I have a couple of the new ones myself. One in the EMBE and possibly the other in the ERBE.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Yes you are correct. All you have to do is bolt the Rx box to the top of the chassis then bolt the ESC to the bottom pan. Easy peasy. The MMM & MMM2 are very good controllers. I have a couple of the new ones myself. One in the EMBE and possibly the other in the ERBE.
    Does anyone have pictures of how this is done?

RC poster
    Here is my set up with 2650kv motor. The one wire hanging out of the rx box is my castle link so I don't have to pull the box apart to tune.

Last edited by cmoshea; 05-23-2013 at 03:09 PM.

RC Racer
    Sorry I am still confused by what you mean by bolting it to the top. Since there are no holes pre drilled, how did you attach them?

Quote Originally Posted by SH302 View Post
    Sorry I am still confused by what you mean by bolting it to the top. Since there are no holes pre drilled, how did you attach them?
    I put a thin piece of foam under the esc then bolted it through the top mount down into the chassis.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SH302 View Post
    if you buy the trx mamba esc mount it bolts into existing holes in the chassis. The Rx box does the same at the front of the chassis. I didn't have to drill any holes or making any sort of mounts.