RC poster

got me a new rusty, upgrading ?'s

whats up guys, new to the forums...and well, the r/c world too.

i got me a brand new rustler xl-5 this past christmas and i love it. it's quite a bit of fun i will say.

dont have many problems out of it so far. i have however upgraded a few parts and pleeeease....dont bash me too hard for this, but.. i went for some aluminum upgrades and went integy. i got the front and rear lower control arms which seem pretty sturdy (i try not to bash too hard, but when you see a chance for some air... :P) and i also got integy caster blocks...which are, off? my passenger side has more negative caster. but, during the installation i did find that the stock rods that connect the spindle to the caster blocks were bent to crap (apparently i did more bashing then i thought..) but i was happy to find that out.

absolutely need either new caster blocks or adjustable upper control arms, i guess i'll wait for something to break before that.

now, the real question. i am wondering about the age old question of what battery, esc and motor. i've heard nothing but good about castle creations (wanting a brushless upgrade) and am really looking in to going that route. i definitely want explosive power, but also looking for something to give me a good long run...more than an exciting 20-25 mins on the stock battery lol.

also wondering what would be some must need's for some fun track racing which is what i really want to do. thanks guys/girls, i'm going to try and get some pics up and anything else i should probably know then any input is awesome!!! looking forward to learning about this stuff and having an all around blast!

RC Champion
    you will need track wheels and tires for sure. add some rear toe in by either upgraded axle carriers or a new transmission case like rpm. traxxas and strc make good castor blocks in aluminum. rpm also makes castor blocks that are plastic but much stronger than the stock plastic ones plus they have a lifetime warranty. the castle sct system or the 4600kv sv3 system would be perfect for your rusty and they can be had for around a hundred bucks on amazon. i would suggest strc hinge pins and at least a stock tie bar or aftermarket like an anza tie bar. i would also suggest new a-arms from rpm.

RC Racer
    sv3 is also waterproof so I would choose that over the sct.

RC poster
    ok cool, thanks a bunch for the input. i was sort of thinking the mamba max pro listed on their website with the 1406 but that may be too all out?? i'm not sure. i'll definitely be checking out the sv3 cuz waterproof would for sure be a must.

where are good track tires and wheels? i've seen all kinds of setups people use but nobody ever saying what is best. from what i've read also, the stock tires that come with the rusty are the ones with the best grip but that may not be necessary.

as far as aluminum parts, obviously it's stronger than plastic but being an unskillful driver, maybe going aluminum isnt the best seeing as how plastic has more give and less chance of snaps, breaks, etc.

also, what of the stock shocks? i wouldn't mind more stiff shocks cuz i'm bottoming out A LOT...the plastics that come with the car out of the box are for rebuilding the shocks, but if the stock plastic shocks aren't worth the effort to modify, what would be a good shock and also springs to put on?

RC Racer
    Don't get new parts until you break parts, and when you do get rpm parts all around the vehicle except your caster blocks and steering blocks which should be aluminum. I am asking the same question you are about tires lol. Only upgrade to rpm parts as you break stock parts too save money. You also can never go too all out with the rustler. I would recommend upgrading to traxxas's big bore shocks, it should solve your issue.