RC Racer

Thumbs down why Traxxas, why? 71074 - less truck for more money

my buddy decided to pick up a merv. after checking two local hobby shops who were both sold out, we were informed that they no longer stock them, and will have to be special ordered. after searching around he found a place that had one left. happy at first with his new purchase, he noticed right away that his wasnt like mine. he had this long blue tube protruding through his roof, as well as a stripped down transmitter that was missing a knob and a few buttons.

so what gives? did I just happen to get lucky and get the best generation of merv - the 7107? I have to shake my head at Traxxas. or maybe my FIST !!
    MERV - 3S 23/50

RC Competitor
    This is a great question. I have been wondering this myself. Could someone shed some light on this topic

RC Qualifier

why Traxxas, why? 71074 - less truck for more money

I am also very shocked to see that as well.

I don't know if I'm shocked more that they downgraded the Tx/Rx on a 'newer' model or that they are charging the same price for a model that has less features than one that came out 2 yrs ago.

Unless retro blue antenna tubes are a new rc fad that I'm not aware of

RC Competitor
    I bought one for my son then two of my neighbors each bought one to play with - all with the tqi and the short antenna. Then when i finally go to get one for mhself i can only find a lesser model for the same price. Even the dealers are shocked.

RC Racer
    My brother got a slash with the new 2.4 cheapie radio. We cut the antenna down and it has terrible range....like not much better than 27 MHz and that is not a lie.

Prices for everything has to go up now. Don't you see when you go shop now it's costing more so traxxas has to charge more but I do agree it is getting a little cheaper though for what your getting if raising the price keep the same or good things in there and included so it's worth it.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    So the new TQ 2.4GHz system uses a long antenna tube? I haven't seen one in person.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Racer
    I noticed only transmitter difference:

previous - #6509

new one - #6516

But the truck itself? What inside is different apart from antena length?

RC Champion
    The receiver is different. doesn't have the TQi 5 Channel receiver, just the downgraded 3 channel TQ.

The Merv that I had was purchased January 31st this year and had the TQi system.

Does the new one have new Box art?
    Last edited by Zepher; 05-14-2013 at 01:57 AM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post

Does the new one have new Box art?
    a little bit - check box panels from traxxas website for this model in downloads section

Quote Originally Posted by wfburton159 View Post
    My brother got a slash with the new 2.4 cheapie radio. We cut the antenna down and it has terrible range....like not much better than 27 MHz and that is not a lie.
    Who unwisely suggested that you cut the antenna? Antenna lengths are tuned to their radio frequency.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    They just downgraded the radio's in the last 6 months. I noticed it in their catalog with the last rc i got.. most of their models now have the lesser TX. If you get the TQ above your lucky as the book shows the older one yet with the stubby antenna

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wfburton159 View Post
    did you cut the blue Tube or the antenna Wire?

RC Champion
    Why don't you guys see if Traxxas will do the upgrade for radios? I forget what they call it, but you send in you old radio and pay a fee and get an upgraded radio. I know they will do it for motors but I don't know if they do it for radios. Maybe a Mod or an Traxxas Employee could speak up and tell us what they call it.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-14-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Pay more for a radio that used to come with the veh after you have already payed more for the veh with less?

RC Qualifier
    This makes me feel sad Even for an entry level RC enthusiast who could care less about radio programability the long receiver antenna sucks. I can buy a $20 FS-GT2 radio and receiver and have a more favorable receiver.
    I like turtles.

RC Qualifier
    yep its really unfortunate. cause true story, my friend bought the same car as mine cause he liked what he saw, then opens it only to see the blue tube and cheapo transmitter and asked me 'whats the deal'.

The 5 channel TQi receiver with short antenna goes for 30$ however. I wonder if just swapping it and keeping the TQ transmitter would fix the issue? AND/OR if anyone has cut the tube of the TQ receiver then paired it with a TQi Transmitter and see what the range is like.

I'd love to know if anyone could try that and let us know.

RC Champion
    So looking online at pics of the new receiver, it looks like it has the same RX antenna wire as the TQi receiver, where the real antenna is the metal shield and small length of exposed core wire at the end. You could run it with only those parts in the antenna tube and keep the excess length of wire in the RX box just like with the TQi. My guess though is that the new transmitter has a much lower output power than the TQi, so they used the full length antenna tube in order to get the antenna up as high and away from the other electronics as possible to keep a decent range.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 05-14-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    i was wondering that as well like the new nitro slash. Its new and why did it not get the new transmitter, sensors and the docking base too.