Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85

    just ordered my new merv

    hey guys i just ordered a new mini revo vxl, i have a stampede 4x4 but i have had my eye on these for a while and finally decided to order one. I was just wondering if theres any upgrades i should do, i also know you could run 2 batteries in them with a y connector which is new to me. would it be better to go with 2 batteries or just the one lipo ? i was planning on getting the 2s 2200 mah lipo but open to opinions. thanks !

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    57
    I would shim your diffs first. Especially if you plan to run lipo. I would just skip right to the lipo if you can afford it. Although
    two NiMH batteries is cheaper. Use a series connecter to effectively double your voltage and your power and use a parallel
    connector to double run time. Congrats on your purchase!

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    383
    Use a Lipo if you can, much more power and the NIMH tend to die fast. The two upgrades that I would consider necessary are different hub carriers or at least the parts that screw into them and the steel hollow balls for the tie rods so there isn't so much slop.

    Shimming the diffs can help, but thats more of a problem of not letting off the throttle when you hit the ground then anything else. I had to shim the diffs because my 4 year old doesn't really understand that completely but I never had a problem when I drive it.

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    Use a Lipo if you can, much more power and the NIMH tend to die fast. The two upgrades that I would consider necessary are different hub carriers or at least the parts that screw into them and the steel hollow balls for the tie rods so there isn't so much slop.

    Shimming the diffs can help, but thats more of a problem of not letting off the throttle when you hit the ground then anything else. I had to shim the diffs because my 4 year old doesn't really understand that completely but I never had a problem when I drive it.
    would you recommend the 2 cell 2200 mah or the 3 cell 1400 ? i will also keep that in mind, i will be jumping it a bit but moreso wanted it just to rip around when i dont wanna drive my p4de

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan47 View Post
    I would shim your diffs first. Especially if you plan to run lipo. I would just skip right to the lipo if you can afford it. Although
    two NiMH batteries is cheaper. Use a series connecter to effectively double your voltage and your power and use a parallel
    connector to double run time. Congrats on your purchase!
    which connector would you say is better ? i think i will probably go straight to lipo because by the time i buy a second nimh and the connector it will be almost the cost of the lipo..
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-05-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: merge

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    1,178
    If you go Lipo...DO NOT use the series connector.
    The ESC isn't rated to handle two 2S Lipo's in series.
    Max is 14.4v...and two 2S Lipos would be 14.8v.
    Parallel is fine...just keep an eye on motor/esc temps with the long run times you'll get.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    If you go Lipo...DO NOT use the series connector.
    The ESC isn't rated to handle two 2S Lipo's in series.
    Max is 14.4v...and two 2S Lipos would be 14.8v.
    Parallel is fine...just keep an eye on motor/esc temps with the long run times you'll get.
    thanks for your input, i figured that you couldnt use the connector with a lipo but i wasnt 100%. I think i will go lipo instead of doing the connector and 2 nimh

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisiq93 View Post
    would you recommend the 2 cell 2200 mah or the 3 cell 1400 ? i will also keep that in mind, i will be jumping it a bit but moreso wanted it just to rip around when i dont wanna drive my p4de
    2S would be best, these things really can't handle 3S very well, they don't handle 2S that well either.

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    1,178
    3S is plain stupid on a Merv.
    I have two 11.1v 20c 1300mAh Lipos that were recommended to my by a LHS when i bought my first 1/16 car.
    I WISH they were 2S instead.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    57
    I am still running NiMH and I bought 6 batteries for me and my little brother to run with and I'm down to one that will still hold a charge. My next upgrade is Lipo so skip right to Lipo like everyone has advised.

    I totally would advise Shimming your diffs but you can wait until you strip them so you don't have to take the whole thing
    apart if you aren't going to strip them. I have stripped both of mine on NiMH and since I shimmed them I haven't had any
    problems.

    I would highly recommend RPM A-arms and carriers but those can be replaced as you break them. I also recommend getting a wheelie bar. The MERV tends to be wheelie happy. Hope we have been helpful. As you drive it you will start to realize
    upgrades you will need and upgrade them as you go.

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    thanks alot for the help and advice. i will forsure be getting rpm arms i upgraded to them on my stampede and they havent broke yet. I will look into the wheelie bar also! .. since the 2 cell lipo is 2200 mah and will have a longer run time i am assuming my motor and esc might get hot so i will watch that as well. thanks for the help everyone

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50
    I would upgrade to (2) 2s lipos in parallel for great power and looooong run time without breaking the car too quickly. 3s is alot of power and is for showing off and speed runs. It will tear a stock Merv apart if you everyday bash with 3s. You will also want to shim your diffs sooner or later as well as heavier springs and oil for shocks depending on your needs. RPM arms all around as suggested. Those are the basic upgrades but there's a lot more you can do.
    Last edited by ImageX; 05-06-2013 at 12:07 AM.

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    3S is plain stupid on a Merv.
    I have two 11.1v 20c 1300mAh Lipos that were recommended to my by a LHS when i bought my first 1/16 car.
    I WISH they were 2S instead.
    Yep, 3s is a whole other world in the Merv. Crazy tire shredding power and destruction. 2s is nice for everyday running. More user/truck friendly power and a lot longer run times with the 2 cell's larger capacities. I run 2s and 3s depending on what I'm doing.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    208
    I suggest shimming the diffs straight out of the box, saves you $13(per set) in the future. Since you said that this is your second rc, you should be used to wrenching so go over all the screws and tighten em down. The merv is quite easy to work around imo, so it doesnt take long to get used to the components.

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    12,279
    This is what I had when I very rarely walked away broke.

    Steel hollow balls (7028x) to reduce slop
    3M mushroom tape along battery doors to hold the body on
    Aluminum knuckles to reduce slop and add strength (I have HR but recommend GPM or GH)
    A BlueBird 390 servo due to the stock being known to fry/strip itself
    RPM a arms at all four corners (Front-80692, Rear-80602)
    Center differential (7014) upgrade to help handle the power of
    2200mah 2S 20C LiPo's ran in parallel for ~1 hour run times
    23/50 gearing gets me to ~30mph yet keeps temps in check
    Shimmed front and rear bulkheads... *LINK*

    Especially do that last part... extremely cheap preventative procedure.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    This is what I had when I very rarely walked away broke.

    Steel hollow balls (7028x) to reduce slop
    3M mushroom tape along battery doors to hold the body on
    Aluminum knuckles to reduce slop and add strength (I have HR but recommend GPM or GH)
    A BlueBird 390 servo due to the stock being known to fry/strip itself
    RPM a arms at all four corners (Front-80692, Rear-80602)
    Center differential (7014) upgrade to help handle the power of
    2200mah 2S 20C LiPo's ran in parallel for ~1 hour run times
    23/50 gearing gets me to ~30mph yet keeps temps in check
    Shimmed front and rear bulkheads... *LINK*

    Especially do that last part... extremely cheap preventative procedure.
    a guy above just said not to run the 2 lipos in parallel cause its more voltage than the esc can handle is that true ? and an hour run time ? i would probably never drive it for that long ****. so shim the diffs i will do and i will keep all the other things handy

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    383
    He said not to run in series, I wouldn't run Parallel either. It's heavier and you could overheat the esc and motor if you run for a long time depending on the climate.

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    He said not to run in series, I wouldn't run Parallel either. It's heavier and you could overheat the esc and motor if you run for a long time depending on the climate.
    oh okay sorry im still new to the connector stuff.. i think i will just buy the one 2 cell and leave it at that.

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    383
    Well you still want two or 3 batteries so you aren't waiting to charge.

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    12,279
    I ran close to 200 packs in the above configuration without a single issue with heat... running two LiPo's is just slightly heavier than 1 NiMh; and Traxxas suggests it is OK to run 2 NiMh in series (more voltage and more weight) with the same gearing as I suggested.

    In other words, running two in LiPo in parallel does not hurt a thing.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    383
    Mine was real hot after 15 minutes, it would have smoked after an hour. If it's cold it would be okay, still I don't know why someone would add more weight. Just drive 15 min and swap packs if you aren't bored by then.

  21. #21
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    ya i have my stampede to drive also, i may give the 2 lipos a try once i get it. supposed to be here tomorrow

  22. #22
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50
    It is perfectly ok to run 2 batteries. After all.... There is 2 battery compartments from the factory. If you're running hot... You need gearing adjustments. Pretty simple stuff.

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
    It is perfectly ok to run 2 batteries. After all.... There is 2 battery compartments from the factory. If you're running hot... You need gearing adjustments. Pretty simple stuff.
    Thats a good argument, there are plastic steering knuckles with lots of slop too. Just because its there doesn't make it right.

  24. #24
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    got this today, cant wait to drive it tonight. wondering if i should use the stock battery it comes with to break in the motor a bit or can i go straight to lipo ? thanks guys http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/po...da56.jpeg.html

  25. #25
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    141
    Go Lipo!! it's the best value for money and fun

  26. #26
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by l_park View Post
    Go Lipo!! it's the best value for money and fun
    i have the lipo already i bought it with the car. just wondering if the first time i use it if i can use the lipo

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    383
    you can, you can use the nimh too, I wouldn't let it go to waste, the car will just be slower.

  28. #28
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    12,279
    Since it is brushless there is not anything to break in...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

  29. #29
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Since it is brushless there is not anything to break in...
    thanks i just drove it on the stock battery, now time for the lipo

    wow, all i can say is i need to invest in a wheelie bar for this thing. the power is unbelievable for a 1/16, my wing has some nice road rash
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-08-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: merge

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    265
    The Bug body from Proline helps protect the wiring a bit and I find it helps with rollovers.

  31. #31
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    Thats a good argument, there are plastic steering knuckles with lots of slop too. Just because its there doesn't make it right.
    So, you're saying it's bad to run 2 batteries? That's just ridiculous. You don't tune the truck to run cooler by eliminating battery packs. You adjust gearing. I run 2s and 3s.... both in parallel and have ZERO issues but you're saying that isn't right?

  32. #32
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
    I run 2s and 3s.... both in parallel and have ZERO issues but you're saying that isn't right?
    I do the same on 2S and love it. It's the only way to fly!

  33. #33
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Cart View Post
    The Bug body from Proline helps protect the wiring a bit and I find it helps with rollovers.
    yea i rolled it a few times but it handles alot better than my p4de

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    265
    As it should.
    I put in a center diff as well; keeps it planted.
    My build up is in here if you're looking for ideas; and how to break bulkheads.

  35. #35
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Cart View Post
    I do the same on 2S and love it. It's the only way to fly!
    Heck yeah, but you should try it with 3s! It's a whole other level of insanity and it really makes 2s look weak!

    I use 2s for everyday bashing and long run times. 3s to unleash the beast!

  36. #36
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Winterpeg
    Posts
    50
    owned this for a month and finally got some lipos for it and man what a diff, 3s is just dumb lol, but 2s is just the right power, enough to do wheelies but still have control, 3s is just crazy stupid lol unless youre doing speed runs 2s is the way to go

  37. #37
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    85
    hey guys im having a little problem, i got a wheelie bar and im trying to put it on but it seems the screws are not long enough? i am using the ones it came with, ive tried to put the bottom of the bracket underneath the skid plate but that doesnt work, there must be something im missing..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •