RC Qualifier

Savox SB-2231SG vs Savox SB-2274SG

I am wanting to upgrade my stock servo to something a lot better. Here is what I've come up with so far. Please any info or advice would be really appreciated thank you!

http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SB2231...avsb2231sg.htm

OR

http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SB2274...avsb2274sg.htm

RC Racer
    those servos are pretty much over kill to the max! for a better price you only need 150-200 oz of torque metal gear and speed arou .15 or .12 should be plenty!

RC Qualifier
    Also, Savox servos aren't very efficient and typically need an external BEC. Hitec servos will cost a little more but they typically don't need an external BEC under 200oz/in, parts are readily available and support is excellent.

I have the 1258TG Savox. You need a BEC indeed and it's pretty noisy, but those are the only disadvantages. Very vast and strong enough. Very durable.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    Also, Savox servos aren't very efficient and typically need an external BEC. Hitec servos will cost a little more but they typically don't need an external BEC under 200oz/in, parts are readily available and support is excellent.
    I've heard of HiTec Servos but I don't know which one will work for my PEDE and I also want water proof with good speed and torque. So if you can give me a part number it would be great.

RC Qualifier
    Hitec only makes one waterproof servo for the pede but its a little slow 5646wp. Might not matter much just bashing around. Savox makes a waterproof servo, the 1270tg. The torque is way overkill, but it has good speed and its $100. Any servo can be waterproofed fairly easily though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Hitec only makes one waterproof servo for the pede but its a little slow 5646wp. Might not matter much just bashing around. Savox makes a waterproof servo, the 1270tg. The torque is way overkill, but it has good speed and its $100. Any servo can be waterproofed fairly easily though.

Thank you for the response. I've decided to upgrade my servo to http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SB2274...avsb2274sg.htm

Now do I really need to buy http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...filter_cat=199

OR

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...glitch&x=0&y=0

RC Qualifier
    Most people go with the castle 10A BEC. I am not guaranteeing it but I am 99% sure you will need it.

Yikes that's a lot of money for a Savox.

I'd go with a $100 Hitec instead.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

I would get a glitch buster, that should be all you need. But depending on your esc you may not need one at all. Most people that need a bec are using a castle esc which has a weak BEC to begin with. I never had issues with hobbywing esc running the same servo.
    Don’t handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    I would get a glitch buster, that should be all you need. But depending on your esc you may not need one at all. Most people that need a bec are using a castle esc which has a weak BEC to begin with. I never had issues with hobbywing esc running the same servo.
    I'm running stock ESC for the PEDE and Motor. I really hope I don't need a BEC so I down get a "Brown Out".

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Yikes that's a lot of money for a Savox.

I'd go with a $100 Hitec instead.
    Oh I only paid $107 for it on eBay.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-15-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    The stock ESC is only good for 6V 2.5A. That servo can pull down 4-6A under stress. You will need something to deal with that power draw.
    Last edited by Slaughter33; 05-15-2013 at 08:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I decided to order the glitch buster since it's an easy setup versus the castle 10A BEC. I appreciate all your feedbacks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jtalaue View Post
    I decided to order the glitch buster since it's an easy setup versus the castle 10A BEC. I appreciate all your feedbacks!!!!
    Did you go with the Novak?

RC Qualifier
    Did you go with the Novak?
    Yes!

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261211938490...84.m1497.l2649

RC Enthusiast
    What do we have to look for: 4,8-6v or 6.0-7.4v servos?. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    The stock ESC puts out 6v and some ESCs have adjustable voltage to go higher. The servo specs should list how much power and speed it has for a specific voltage. For example, a Hitec 5565 at 6V is 153oz/in and .11sec and at 7.4V is 194oz/in and .09sec. So even at 6V it is much stronger and faster than the stock servo and has metal gears.

RC Qualifier
    The stock ESC puts out 6v and some ESCs have adjustable voltage to go higher. The servo specs should list how much power and speed it has for a specific voltage. For example, a Hitec 5565 at 6V is 153oz/in and .11sec and at 7.4V is 194oz/in and .09sec. So even at 6V it is much stronger and faster than the stock servo and has metal gears.
    So I recently bought this combo http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item51ada96a11 and wanted to know if my Novak Capacitor http://www.ebay.com/itm/261211938490...84.m1497.l2649 will be able to handle the new motor, ESC, Savox 2274 and Castle Creations cooling fan?

I'm also running Lipos from SPC http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=130

RC Qualifier
    I don't see why not. The ESC is capable of handling everything except possibly the inefficiency of the servo, so the cap should provide a little reserve power to keep the servo working smoothly. And if it doesn't, then you just buy a Castle BEC.

RC Qualifier
    I don't see why not. The ESC is capable of handling everything except possibly the inefficiency of the servo, so the cap should provide a little reserve power to keep the servo working smoothly. And if it doesn't, then you just buy a Castle BEC.
    You're right worst case scenario the the Castle BEC. There are two of them and one of them programmable which looks like the BEC Pro which seems to be overkill.

That looks like the ones I have. Plug and play vs the Castle which has to be soldered in.

RC Qualifier
    That looks like the ones I have. Plug and play vs the Castle which has to be soldered in.
    You're right about having to solder the Castle BEC. I don't own a soldering gun and don't plan on buying that unless I've got a ton of RCs that need some soldering for upgrades ETC. I'll just pay MLHS $7.50 per/wire which I don't mind paying to be honest.

RC Qualifier
    I think my soldering iron was $10, but if you don't do a lot then might not be worth the trouble.

RC Enthusiast
    Having stock ESC, will I need the Novak (or other) capacitor for that servo (Hitec5565)?. Tks again.

RC Qualifier
    You shouldn't. Hitec servos under 200oz/in usually run fine off internal bec.

Sent from my phone

RC Enthusiast
    Tks, tks, tks.

RC Qualifier
    Ok I'm reviving my old thread because I have sold my Savox SB-2274SG because I'm tired of buying novak glitch busters. So far I've bought 5 already because it just stops working. I even brought it into MLHS and they put it in one of their demos that has a savox servo and it would work neither. So I've decided to find another servo that is quick and has good performance but WATER PROOF right out of the box. Any suggestions my friends?

RC Qualifier
    Unfortunately there aren't many waterproofed out of the box. Waterporoofing a servo is the easiest component to waterproof, so you might want to look at doing that. There is the savox I mentioned above and you would just need a BEC and you should be good.
    Last edited by Slaughter33; 07-31-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Ok I'm reviving my old thread because I have sold my Savox SB-2274SG because I'm tired of buying novak glitch busters. So far I've bought 5 already because it just stops working. I even brought it into MLHS and they put it in one of their demos that has a savox servo and it would work neither. So I've decided to find another servo that is quick and has good performance but WATER PROOF right out of the box. Any suggestions my friends?
    The difference between a glitch buster and a separate BEC, is that the glitch buster is just a buffer with energy to survive the moments that the servo asks more power than the ESC's BEC can deliver. A separate BEC takes over the power delivering task from the ESC and is able to deliver the necessary power to your servo all the time.
    A separate BEC is a more effective solution.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    The difference between a glitch buster and a separate BEC, is that the glitch buster is just a buffer with energy to survive the moments that the servo asks more power than the ESC's BEC can deliver. A separate BEC takes over the power delivering task from the ESC and is able to deliver the necessary power to your servo all the time.
    A separate BEC is a more effective solution.
    I've decided to buy the CC BEC from Castle Creations and decided to refund the person who bought the servo from me and they aren't to happy about that because they paid less then half the price and received a negative feedback for it oh well. Now all I have to do is fnd a way to water proof this servo back to google/YouTube. Thanks EVERYONE for your input I truly appreciate it all.

RC Competitor
    dude, that is soooooo much overkill! that kind of money is spent better in other places! I race a rc8te with a savox servo half that price, I think that it is the Savox SC-1256-tg, $80. and that is a super good servo for a truggy that weighs twice as much and is twice as big. I just got a savox, for my pede, "sorry I dont know the exact part #'s I am at work and cannot check", but it was like $38, has all metal gears and 222oz of torque, it is way better than stock! I think it is the SC-0251! can I ask why you want so much servo?

RC Qualifier
    Well I didn't know any better to be honest with you. I saw someone on here using that servo on their Pede and decided to get it. Yes I know it's overkill and I realize this now but it's a bit too late since I've already got it. LOL I think I was going with this savox servo because of their specs in regards to speed and torque. The speed on it is amazingly fast .08 at 7.4 Volts.

RC Competitor
    well at least a servo of that quality is going to last you a very long time!

RC Competitor
    ive been runnin a savox in my pede since I traded for it. its a sc-0251 mg cost me like 30 bucks shipped I also have trenchers on my truck all im gonna say is good bye to the stock servo. olny thing I do miss is that its not waterproof but that's kool
    •Dimensions(mm): 40.7X19.6X42.4
    Weight(g): 61.0
    Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .20
    Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 180.5
    Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .18
    Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 222.2
    Gear: Metal
    Bearing: 2BB
    Case: Plastic
    Running current (at no load): 300mA @ 4.8V
    Running current (at no load): 350mA @ 6.0V
    Stall current (at locked): 2600 mA
    Stall current (at locked): 3200 mA
    Idle current (at stopped): 5 mA
    Idle current (at stopped): 6 mA
    Limit angle: 180° ± 10°
    Connector wire gauge: #22 AWG
    Connector wire length: 150 ± 5 mm
    Horn gear spline: 25T
    Control system: Pulse width modification
    Amplifier type: Digital controller
    Operating Travel: 120° (when1000→2000 μsec)
    Neutral position: 1500 μsec
    Dead band width: 5 μsec
    Rotating direction: Counterclockwise (when1500→2000 μsec)
    Pulse width range: 800→2200 μsec
    Maximum travel: Approx 165°(when800→2200 μsec)
    Last edited by offroader77; 08-01-2013 at 10:42 PM.