RC Qualifier

Dewalt 820 conversion kit from kershaw - wow

Bought the 820 conversion kit from Kershaw. http://www.kershawdesigns.com/E-Revo...Conversion.htm The Dewalt motor is great. I bought two and put them on different Summits. I compared the 21t, 19,t and 16t pinion in side by side test. Forget the 21t, broke the rear drive axle in two minutes. The 19t accelerated faster but overall speed in comparsion to the 16t was about the same. both the 19 and 16 have incredible low end torque. I was crawling over stuff the stock Titan couldn't touch. I think I'm going to stick with the 16t or maybe try the 14t.

The conversion kit was a breeze, the instructions made it very easy. Dan at Kershaw was very knowledgeable, easy to deal and had lots of ideas. His conversion kit is so simple, even I could do it.

RC Racer
    What's your top speed after the conversion using the 16T pinion?
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Qualifier
    The short answer is I don't know. They are a little faster than the stock Summits I have. So if the stock Titan tops out at 19 mph these would be like 20 mph. I tried the 21t and it was a little faster say 22mph. But no where near the low end torque of the 16t. I was going to try his 14t and see how it does.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    They run better after they wear in the brushes. Mine accelerated noticably quicker after the 3rd - 4th pack. Top end with a 19 tooth pinion is right at 25 mph.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    I need to fire up one of my stock summits and compare the dewalt and various teeth with it. Dan at Kershaw indicated his 19t pinion was pretty close to the stock summit in speed. I dont think so if its going 25 mph. Ill play around with it and post back.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    When stock my Summit, with an iPhone GPS app ticked off right at 19mph. Shortly after installing my 14.4 Dewalt with a 19 tooth pinion it ran a tick over 25mph. Was a little warm for my taste, so I went down to an 18 tooth for about 24mph. Now all nicely broke in, it runs 25mph.

BTW, I'm still NiMh too, I know, I know!
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE BTW, I'm still NiMh too, I know, I know![/QUOTE]

Can you say SPC. When your ready the 8200s have been great. I wonder how much faster it would go with the LIPOS at 50c. When I get a chance Ill run the Dewalt summit vs the stock summit and check out the difference. I am getting some other pinion gears so Ill change them out to see what mimics the stock Summit.

RC Racer
    Awesome! Can't wait to see the differences. I'm ready to buy the kit from Kershaw just can't decide on what pinion to choose.

RC Qualifier
    The pinions are not that expensive. I bought a couple. I really like the 16t I am going to put on the 14t and the 11t to see what it does. The 16t will do wheelies and it still has alot of speed and the best thing is the Dewalt has a crazy low end torque and with the 16t it just mashes up the rocks and hills.

Also if you get the bigger pinions I used my Dremel and enlarged the hole on the motor mount so the pinion would fit through the motor mount. That allows me to install the motor and mount, align the pinion to the spur gear, pull the motor and mount, then remove the mount from the motor and gives me direct access to the set screw to tighten it down. I also use blue thread lock on the set screw. 14t and smaller will already fit through the motor mount. The 16t is just barely to big. This might sound confusing but when you go to put it all together it will make sense. Trust me if I can do it anybody can.

RC Racer
    Thanks! Good tips and I will avoid the 21t.

RC Racer
    Btw, Do you have any videos?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RcSummitVXL View Post
    Btw, Do you have any videos?
    Still working on that.

RC Racer
    Not specifically of your test runs but generally anything with your summits. I love watching vids of summits on YouTube!

RC Qualifier
    I installed some Mudslingers on one of my Summits and installed the dewalt motor with a 14t pinion. I ran it against one of my stock summits and it was sluggish. The low end was fine but it was about as fast as the stock summit. I put on a 16t and it did really well. It is faster than the stock and the low end was crazy. Between the dewalt low end torque and the mudslingers I was going over rocks and slopes that my stock summit was really struggling with. I will try the 19t with the mudslingers later and post back. A few photos - Mudslingers, Dewalt 14.4, 16t pinion.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    I am getting ready to order the KD Dewalt kit and just wanted to be sure it was a truly plug and play replacement?

It comes with the wires pre-soldered and you just unplug the Titan, uninstall it, then install the Summit, plug the wires in and go?

Does it come with 4 wires soldered or just two? The ESC has 4.

Thinking I will go with a 17 Tooth or 18... can't decide. I run stock wheels and a set of Mashers on Desperadoes.

RC Qualifier
    I am assuming by KD Dewalt Kit you mean the Kershaw 820 conversion kit. If so the wires are not soldered, there are two. The wires have a clip, you remove the brushes (very easy) and attach the clip to the tab on the brushes. you connect to either of the black and red wires doesn't matter and tape up the two you are not using. It is plug and play with directions. It really is unplug the Titan, uninstall it and install the Dewalt, plug in the wires and go. My first one took about an hour, I did one on Sunday in less than 15 minutes.

I would dremmel the opening in the existing motor mount large enough to get your pinion through. You can then take off the mount from the motor and not have to remove the pinion and it allows you direct access to the pinion set screw. I liked both the 16t and 19t for my driving terrain (bashing and lots of crawling) so I think a 17 or 18 would work fine, depends on your driving terrain.

RC Champion
    Just one note, most DeWalt motors are designed to run faster in a specific direction. If I am not mistaken there is a + and - sign on the end of the motor to show which wire to attach. Would not want you to lose 3mph.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Just one note, most DeWalt motors are designed to run faster in a specific direction. If I am not mistaken there is a + and - sign on the end of the motor to show which wire to attach. Would not want you to lose 3mph.
    I noticed that on the motor. Glad to know it has a meaning!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Racer
    Nice photos Brick! And thanks for the info too!

RC Qualifier
    Ran my Dewalt 14.4 mod against the stock summit. The mod has Mudslinger tires now and the stock has the canyons. I switched to the 17t pinion. And the mod performed well. A little faster than the canyons. I like the 17t because the set screw is larger and the pinion is all steel. The low end was still great. Think I'm going to stick with the 17t for a while.

RC Competitor
    I cant decide between buying the Kershaw kit, or just piecing one together. Prices are pretty darn close. The harness isn't soldered onto the brushes right? I think I would perfer the four wire setup like the stock motor.

RC Qualifier
    No the Kershaw kit has clips to attach to the brushes. They are very tight and secure. Easy to install because the brushes pop right out of the motor with a screw driver. I have had no problems with them. I was told by Dan @ Kershaw and other people on the forum that it doesn't matter - 2 or 4 wires. My Dewalt performs great and I have never had 4 wires hooked up so I have nothing to compare the 2 wire setup too. I don't solder so this was an easy decision for me. The only modification I did was to enlarge the hole in the motor mount to be larger than my pinion gear. It makes install way easier.

RC Qualifier
    Everyone here talks about performance for gearing but how hot are your dewalts getting? Anyone? Bueller?

RC Qualifier
    Mine geared 18/68 it ranges from 90 to 110 Fahrenheit.

RC Qualifier
    Temping the outside of the can or inside?

RC Qualifier
    After all the great reviews, I couldn't help myself...my DeWalt is on the way!
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Switchblade View Post
    After all the great reviews, I couldn't help myself...my DeWalt is on the way!
    You wont regret it. Once you get it installed let me know what pinion you settle down on. I like the 17t pinion with the stock spur and Mudslinger tires.

RC poster
    Hi all! I am a newbie to this, and I need a little help. I just ordered the single Dewalt conversion kit, but I have an unusual vehicle. I am not a speedster, but a puppet maker. My Traxxas slash chassis are going to propel a tortoise puppet. Obviously I don't have to do wheelies, but I would like to have plenty of low end torque. I have a motor controller to install. My questions:
    -How many teeth on the pinion?
    -The original vehicle was nitro powered, and I am converting to electric. I see on the transmission that the same servo controls both the accelerator and the shifting. My question: When I convert, what do I do with the linkage for the accelerator? Does the motor speed actually control the transmission? What to do with that linkage? Clueless Turtle.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandfather Turtle View Post
    Hi all! I am a newbie to this, and I need a little help. I just ordered the single Dewalt conversion kit, but I have an unusual vehicle. I am not a speedster, but a puppet maker. My Traxxas slash chassis are going to propel a tortoise puppet. Obviously I don't have to do wheelies, but I would like to have plenty of low end torque. I have a motor controller to install. My questions:
    -How many teeth on the pinion?
    -The original vehicle was nitro powered, and I am converting to electric. I see on the transmission that the same servo controls both the accelerator and the shifting. My question: When I convert, what do I do with the linkage for the accelerator? Does the motor speed actually control the transmission? What to do with that linkage? Clueless Turtle.
    Dude, you have a long road.
    The nitro slash is really a nitro Revo with short arms. So it may help you to look DEEP into to 3.3 Revo sections for "conversions"

Brief description
    1) lock you 2 speed tranny into one speed, electric has I stint power/ torque and would work better with a single speed tranny rather than the automatic shifting tranny.
    2)Whichever speed controller you buy will controlled your speed/ acceleration. No servo needed. But you will still need that servo for braking, if I remember correctly that stock 3.3 tranny would not allow braking via motor like a normal electric car/tranny would.
    3) TecknoRC used to sell a Revo 3.3 conversion kit. You may want to look into it cuz you still have to mount batteries, the ESC and possible my reconfigure the tranny for brakes.

My suggestion: look for a used 2wd electric slash. They are nearly the same size as your nitro slash, are already electric easy, and can be had all day long for less than $125. You can't mount a DeWalt on it but a cheap 550 sized brushless set up could net you the same results.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE