RC Racer

Angry Crunching / Grinding Sounds in Digger

My son's digger just started making this crunching / grinding sounds. You can hear it more in reverse than forward. The truck seems a good bit slower as well.

Here's what we already did:
    Checked to see if there was anything stuck between a-arm and axle.
    Checked wheels for rounded hex.
    checked axles for chewed up splines.
    Took the motor out and cleaned/reoiled it.
    Tore transmissions apart to see if there were any broken gears.

Anything else we can look at? He only got the truck this past Christmas, is there any warranty that might cover this?

RC Qualifier
    My son and I frequently get small rocks/wood/misc. debris stuck in the teeth of both the pinion and spur gears. When this happens, it makes a clicking or crunching sound. The debris is easily cleared with an exacto knife or toothbrush. It doesn't take much debris at all in those gears to make a pretty nasty sound. Hopefully that's all it is, easy fix.

RC Racer
    check the spur gear for missing teeth
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stodz View Post
    After all the work the op did that would be a kick in n**s. But an easy fix.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    My son and I frequently get small rocks/wood/misc. debris stuck in the teeth of both the pinion and spur gears. When this happens, it makes a clicking or crunching sound. The debris is easily cleared with an exacto knife or toothbrush. It doesn't take much debris at all in those gears to make a pretty nasty sound. Hopefully that's all it is, easy fix.
    We always run with the covers on. When I pulled it all parts everything looked clean, a little dusty was all. I'll take them and wash them out better to see if that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Stodz View Post
    I didn't see any missing teeth when I took it out and I know that sound fairly well as I've chewed up a few spurs on my stampede.

RC Qualifier
    We run our Pedes with the covers on as well, but stuff still gets in there through the hole near the axle. When it starts making that clicking/crunching sound, I take the right rear tire and cover off and slowly turn the spur gear with my finger trying to feel for any resisitance. I can usually find the debris at that point. It's not something you can see very easily without looking very closely. Sometimes I have to work my way around the gears between every tooth with the exacto blade to find the culprit. It's really amazing how a tiny, almost invisible, piece of debris can make such a nasty sound when it gets stuck between the teeth. But, after I get it out, no more clicking and back to bashing.

Also FWIW this happens way way more frequently when we're running in the wood chips behind our house. The power company ground up a bunch of trees and left a lot of nice 3-4' piles of wood chips. The soft landings are great, but taking the cover off and cleaning the gears 1-2 times per battery pack really gets old. For some reason it happens to me at least twice as often as it happens to my son?!

RC Champion
    hmmm solution is a 86t spur gear a 16t/15t or smaller pinoin and a rpm gear cover no more debris
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    I taped the hole shut and don't get the debris in there anymore. What's the point of the hole anyway?

RC Champion
    the point of the hole is for the 90t spur gear....i think they leave it like that becuase they cant detail the mold to have such a thin peice of plastic... but with a 87t spur or smaller and you can get a rpm cover
    but enything smaller then a 90t spur and debris will be comeing in alot faster due to the spur not being close to the hole to deflect the debris
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    Switch to 32p gears, no cover required. Small debris, no problem.

Just one option.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?