RC Enthusiast

Cool Proud new XO-1 Owner

Well, Tower Hobbies finally did it. Between the price drop down to $699, and the $105 discount for being a gold preferred member (had to spend an extra $1 to get it). Took the free shipping option (I live in WI, so it only takes a day to get here anyway, no need to pay for shipping). I plan on keeping it pretty much stock unless there are some critical upgrades that need to be made, but otherwise bone stock it will stay.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I did the same thing. I added a pack of teflon spacers for a buck twenty five and whala save an extra $15. LOL

I'm going to scan some of these hard core XO-1 guys threads and see what they have done to work the kinks out of the car. It comes pretty well upgraded out of the box. A bunch of nice little goodies. I'm super stoked to see this machine.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Same here Digger, only I bought some springs I needed for my 4 wheel drive 1/5 scale, gas powered truck.

What color did you get? I couldn't decided, so I chose the option to just pick one and send it :-) Adds to the suspense.

Now, any recommendations on the first out of the box things to do?

RC Qualifier
    I can't say this enough - Don't do anything to the car other than adjust the pre-load and DRIVE it! Do not unlock it! Just bash it around for three months. Once you unlock it you will wreck it and the fun stops very quickly when you have to keep repairing it. Chase cars down the street. That's the most fun.
    XO-1 #4...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I was reading up on FOD slop fixes. Would you recommend trying to hit some of those in the begining? I'm definitely going to play around with it locked first and get a handle on the car.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I am going to 2nd Bringit's comments - I just got my XO1 about 2 weeks ago. Its still LOCKED, still with stock gear and Im getting it to about 52 MPH (according to Telemetry). It DEFINITELY helps if you have a pair of 2S Lipos that you can just "LEARN" the car first. I spent two full days with two 2S Lipos, just to get a feel for the turning, the steering slop, the overall behavior. Then I bumped it to 5S (one 2S and one 3S Lipo). Still not out of control, but somewhat faster.

Then after about a week, I now run it LOCKED but with 6S. In about a week or two I will add a 21T pinion and UNlock it - hoping to get about 70 to 75 MPH out of it and then thats its - I am NOT going to try to go past that...believe me, at 52 MPH LOCKED, my underwear seems to crawl NORTH (if you know what I mean)...

One last bit of advice - this is not a "drive it on the road" type of car. You need to take it to a HUGE, OPEN parking lot (I use a Park and Drive Lot on the weekends). You will need the space to get it up to speed and maintain control.

I followed these simple tips, that some gave to me, and I dont have a scratch on my XO1 - and I dont plan to either...

Hope this helps!
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer
    Definately do some of FartOfDooms steering mods in the beginning. It will save you from alot of crashes and broken parts. The mod with them pins in the A arms really helps. Also the trick he did with the bearings in the steering pivots would be a great thing to do. I went the easy route and just wrap little strips of tin foil around the shoulder of the shoulder screws. It actually holds up for a long time. But like i said yes do some of these mods right away. It will save you money in the long run. There is just soooo much play everywhere !!! They are all over the place and very unpredictable otherwise.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a few 2s packs that I can run together if I want to run it a little slower. (Orion Carbon 45C) They are good packs so I'm sure they will work as my trainer packs. I guess I'm one of those people who has no issue if I can't go 100 MPH all the time in fact, I will only try it when I find the perfect place to do it.

I will leave it locked for a while as well. From the reading I have done it seems there is some handling issues to address out of box (mostly slop). I'm hoping to find all the threads with recommendations so I can have all my information in one place.

I do have a stupid question, once it's unlocked, can you lock it again?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by XO-1 NUT View Post
    Definately do some of FartOfDooms steering mods in the beginning. It will save you from alot of crashes and broken parts. The mod with them pins in the A arms really helps. Also the trick he did with the bearings in the steering pivots would be a great thing to do. I went the easy route and just wrap little strips of tin foil around the shoulder of the shoulder screws. It actually holds up for a long time. But like i said yes do some of these mods right away. It will save you money in the long run. There is just soooo much play everywhere !!! They are all over the place and very unpredictable otherwise.
    Where in Central WI are you? I live in Lake Mills, which is 17 miles east of Madison. It would be cool to run into a fellow RC enthusiast to run around with. If we find a wooded area that's close, I could bring a few other toys (1/5 4 WD, gas powered). OK sorry to derail the thread, back to the topic at hand...

RC Enthusiast
    A great start to any up grade with the XO-1 is gears from Fartofdoom and he is a fast shipper and the gears really hold up!! Also you might want to check out this esc mounting plate as well by HighGearRC! It works with the stock esc and the new Toro esc and the Mamba XL2 esc! A must have when you do those key up grades! Here is a link to check it out on my XO-1. Well actually i have it on both of my 8 cell XO-1's now that i think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua1Kvz7c0gk

And here is a link of where to get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Gear-RC...item3f24c258ba

RC Enthusiast
    Here is a link to my video on how i blew up a Mamba XL2 and a tire on my XO-1 in less than 5 minutes!! It is an XO-1 8 cell bashing video! When i took it in to get everything soldered they did not solder one of the connections good at all and it came undone and the arching took out the esc! I blew the tire right off the bat and since i did that it was catching on the body in the video! The 8 cell leopard motor held up though!! LOL!! Nothing like taking a lot of money and tearing it up!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab3lIDIKRI0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wmsorrell View Post
    I do have a stupid question, once it's unlocked, can you lock it again?
    You can lock it again- very simple through your I-device.

But I would recommend you manage you max speed by choosing the pinion size.

If you use a 18Z pinion, your topspeed (unlocked) will be 64 mp/h, using a 20Z pinion it will be around 72 mp/h- applies for stock 46 spur gear of course.

Have fun!
    Last edited by lcaa; 05-15-2013 at 02:38 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by wmsorrell View Post
    Where in Central WI are you? I live in Lake Mills, which is 17 miles east of Madison. It would be cool to run into a fellow RC enthusiast to run around with. If we find a wooded area that's close, I could bring a few other toys (1/5 4 WD, gas powered). OK sorry to derail the thread, back to the topic at hand...
    Wisconsin Rapids I don't have much time for fun in the summer. My work hours are retarded. Maybe if my hours subside...

RC Enthusiast
    XO-1, I worked up there for a while. I was consulting at Newpage.

Well hopefully your schedule frees up a little, would be fun to meet up with a fellow board member :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lcaa View Post
    You can lock it again- very simple through your I-device.

But I would recommend you manage you max speed by choosing the pinion size.

If you use a 18Z pinion, your topspeed (unlocked) will be 64 mp/h, using a 20Z pinion it will be around 72 mp/h- applies for stock 46 spur gear of course.

Have fun!
    Good To know, as I said, I don't plan on unlocking for a little while. I want to get acclimated to the power before unleashing the full potential of this beast.

OK, It's only been a few days, but the wait is killing me. It's pretty bad when you check the Tower site every hour hoping for an update, lol... Although I did notice the price dropped everywhere. If you look at the Traxxas site the new list price is $699. I also found it at a few other online retailers for $699, but I didn't have the gold discount through them

I also noticed Tower has the DTS system on sale for $99. Looks like the sales haven't been so hot on it.

OK, Last post for now, Battery recommendations. I have a few other LiPo packs that I'm hoping to use on the XO-1. The are 2-2S Orion Carbon packs 45C, 5000 Mah.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-16-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Looks like the erevo has gotten a price cut as well. $700 and 850 for the brushless models, nimh and lipo
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Enthusiast
    UGH, looks like the ship date has been pushed back to the end of May... This is going to interfere with the other vehicle I'm looking to order (new quad with lcd and camera)

RC Enthusiast
    WOOHOO, I just got an e-mail from the mail department at work, saying I have a package from Tower Hobbies... I knew I should have brought my charger to work {sad Panda}

RC Competitor
    I picked up mines from Tower Hobbies too at $699 and got $75 dollars off, heres mines basically stock for the moment doing some speed runs trying to get a feel for the car.

RC Champion
    Nice radar display. You're doing it right imo nice and easy "getting use to it". I didn't shoot for 100mph for weeks after I got mine. I knew the car could do it if I could drive it.
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 07-24-2013 at 12:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The locked for a while worked for me as well. I was faster than many of you, 2 weeks before unlocking, but I have pretty good throttle control. First time unlocked driving I has to slam on the brakes to avoid a tree after a loss of control, take your time and get the slop out as much as possible.