RC Competitor

1/8 Buggy Shocks?

OK guys, I'm ready to upgrade the shocks on my RPM'ed-out brushless E-Maxx, and I could really use some advice. Of course, the Traxxas Big Bores are always an option, but I keep reading about 1/8 buggy shocks and how much folks like them. Can anyone recommend a specific set up that will work with RPM arms and shock towers? I'm willing to go for the Traxxas CVDs if the stock plastic shafts are too big. I mostly just bash around the yard and on a small ramp (which always bottoms out my E-Maxx despite much stiffer springs on the stock shocks).

I've been looking at the Associated RC8 front shocks based on other posts, but a couple of things still aren't clear to me:
    1. Do you get the regular RC8 shocks or the big bore RC8 shocks?
    2. What springs should I get based on the answer above?
    3. Can I really get away with using just four shocks rather than eight?

The whole RC8 thing is confusing because there are a lot of different models of RC8's.

Thanks for the help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have HB d8 shocks they are all front, will work with stock shock towers, and stock screws, but you need cvd's if not they will rub with stock driveshaft.

I started with 4, but my truck is heavy with all the aluminum parts, so ended with 8 config. FLM shock towers gives a lot more of shock set up.

I have also rc8 on another build, but haven't tested them yet, I think they are all rear, not sure if they will fit stock shock tower.

Last edited by RC-Fan; 05-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the quick response and awesome pictures. Nice looking shocks! Looks like they are around $60 a pair. Do you think that four would work with stiffer springs?

RC Champion
    For 60.00 a pair I would get the UE supershocks 90.00 for (4) and the buy one get one free spring kit. Hardened shafts and you can make as soft or as stiff as you want.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dildano View Post
    Thanks for the quick response and awesome pictures. Nice looking shocks! Looks like they are around $60 a pair. Do you think that four would work with stiffer springs?
    if you get diff springs, probably you can adjust them, also you can try diff oil combinations, look on ebay they are around 65.00 set of 4.

RC Competitor
    Regarding the UE SuperShocks, I didn't think they would fit on RPM shock towers. Aren't they too tall?

And I did find four D8 shocks on eBay for just over $60, but they were fronts and rears. Looks like I'd need two sets to get four fronts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    And I did find four D8 shocks on eBay for just over $60, but they were fronts and rears. Looks like I'd need two sets to get four fronts.
    you can get all front if you look for vorza/ve8 shocks, they are the same. You are right about the UE shocks. I have them, and they are bit long for the stock towers.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 05-13-2013 at 07:43 PM.

RC Competitor
    Ah! OK, I found the Vorza shocks. So now I would just have to find some appropriate springs for a 4-shock setup. Any recommendations? Any idea how long the springs are?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It depends how many shocks you plan to run, how hard you going to bash, it is a combination of springs, and oil shock. I run gray, and white springs, with 60 oil,and the suspension is a bit hard, but like said my truck is heavy. I think the heaviest rate is purple, red, gray, white.

RC Competitor
    So just in case I go for the SuperShocks, will the UE shock towers fit on a stock chassis, or are they really only for the UE chassis?

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    UE shocks are 120mm long, they won't fit on the stock truck.

So just in case I go for the SuperShocks, will the UE shock towers fit on a stock chassis, or are they really only for the UE chassis?

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.
    The UE supershocks will fit without a problem on your bone stock truck by using the UE Kuncklehead shocktower or the FLM shocktower.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys. I bit the bullet and went for the UE SuperShocks and Knuckleheads. It was more expensive, but everyone seems to like them quite a bit. I'll have to post some pics once I get everything installed. Thanks!

RC Champion
    Nice choice. You wont be disappointed. Did you get the buy one get one free spring set?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I put UE shocks on mine, black springs on rear, blue ones at front, with 70wt oil as they recommend for 4 shocks set up. It feels pretty good.

RC Competitor
    Yeah, I think I got the buy-one-get-one-free deal on the springs. I wasn't clear on whether I needed to add two to the order, but I put it in the comments. We'll see what shows up.

RC Competitor
    So I now have my nice new UE KnuckleHeads and SuperShocks installed, and I'm afraid that I have a really stupid question: How do I mount the body posts? The KnuckleHeads came with a rod of "body post material", but I don't see how that translates into the posts that stick up through the body for the body clips. What am I missing?

You need to drill an extra hole for an extra body clip to support the body, put a plastic body on top of the extra body clip for more support.
    The old style maxx body posts had detachable supports.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Competitor
    So do I literally put the body right on top of the UE-provided posts? Just drill holes for body clips, and round out the ends? Do you have pictures by any chance?

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Competitor
    Thank you, sir. I really appreciate the pictures! That's extremely helpful.

RC Champion
    I used the rpm body posts with the knucklehead towers. Just had to shorten and taper the ends a little on them for clearance and drill one of the holes to line up with the tower.

RC Champion
    I used the rpm body posts with the knucklehead towers. Just had to shorten and taper the ends a little on them for clearance and drill one of the holes to line up with the tower.

RC Competitor
    Yeah, I should have tried harder to use my RPM posts because cutting and drilling the "post material" last night was a royal pain. But they do fit very nicely!