RC poster

HELP!!!! Burning up motors

I got a 1/10 E Revo a few weeks ago. Replaced a few things. I hated the short run time so I went to my local shop and we switched to the lipo batteries. 7.4v 2S 5000mah 35C. Ran it one night at the track, ran awesome. Next day I went to run again and noticed it didn't seem as fast, then it just stopped. I fried both Titan monster 550 motors. I had another set, put them in and the same problem. I'm being told it could be my gearing. I'm running 19t/68, I've been told that I should be running the stock 17t. What's your thoughts? Not to sure if I want to go brushless just yet, For now I just want a good running truck at the track.. Someone please help, I'm going back to the shop tomorrow and I want to make everything right. They're gonna replace my motors at no charge but while I'm there, I'd like to get everything fixed the right way.

RC Qualifier
    You should be checking motor temps about every 5 minutes until you find their sweet spot on gearing. I'm running 18/66 (emaxx) and they will thermal out after about 30 minutes, 45 their pretty hot, like smell them hot and they don't cool down very fast at all. I'll be opening up the body more for more air flow since summer is getting here and maybe adding some heatsinks. Putting 17T pinions should help you on the heat issue.

RC poster
    I've even thought about running the 16t pinions. I mostly run a dirt track, so I rarely need top end speed. So should i keep the 68t stock gear? I have the stock 19t/68t now. I was running the 7 cell batteries and the motors and batteries where still getting hot. we found out the EXV2 was set to lipo batteries. anyways I swapped to lipo 7.4v 2s 5000, ran it once at the track. Ran awesome, next day I ran it.. Seemed slower, then after ten min it just stopped. hooked up my old motors to check and sure enough the motors were smoked. Talked to the local shop and they're gonna swap them for free, but while I'm there I'm gonna have the gears changed. I just don't know which to go with. I've heard 16t or 17t will give you more torque and less top end, which is fine for what I'm using the truck for. I was also told it will make the motors run a lot cooler, which is my ultimate goal. Which way would you go with this?

RC Qualifier
    I would go with the lower count pinions like you're doing. I might even grab a pair of 16T while you are there, just in case. Have him show you how to replace them and set the mesh, it's easy. 17Tooth will get you closer to where I think you need to be. Make sure you're body has some air flow through it for sure.

RC poster
    Yeah I talked to Traxxas this morning. They said 15-17T and maybe go to a 71T spur gear. It'll make a huge difference. I also took my thashing body and v-cut the hood area and drilled holes out the back for more air flow. Wouldn't dare do that to my custom body lol. Anyways, Thanks a million for your input, I really appreciate it.

RC Qualifier
    Good deal, I think you are on the right track on this now. You still want to stop every so often and check the motor temps, to get an idea of how their doing. Venting the body will help alot also.

RC Champion
    I would scrap the 550s and get something better. I started with 550s on 4s Lipo setup and could NOT keep them alive geared down to 17T/68T. I even had two 12v radio shack fans pushing a lot of air over them. I feel the twin 550's are too small to push this big of a truck.

Dewalt or step up to brushless. There is no reason not to go brushless now since the MMM2 is waterproof. Well, funds may be one reason. Try the 3 month pay off of Tower Hobby.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC poster
    I heard if you go brushless, you need to upgrade a bunch of things to handle the power. I'd like to but I don't want to be constantly throwing money at this thing.. Whats it cost to swap to the MMM2 and go brushless?

RC Champion
    http://www.traxxas.com/v2/powerup/

The MM2 & 2200kv is $296 on tower. But you can use a $70 off coupon if you have their club membership. Its not a cheap system

Differences between brushed and brushless version are slim
    -14mm vs 17mm hexes
    -dual vs single motor plate/gear cover
    -Titan motors vs CC motor
    -Traxxas ESC vs MMM ESC

The only necessary thing would be single motor plate and gear cover.

Batteries you listed are good.
    14mm hex wheels are fine. 6s lipo may destroy them.
    Its All relative to your perspective.