RC Champion

Is this normal??

Yes its me once again guys. im that guy that didn't kno squat about nitro but bought one just cause

but hey my question is, I finally see visible smoke on full throttle and my idle is good to where it doesn't cut off on me anymore...but my engine is hot to the touch after 5 minutes??? what's going on?

any suggestions are much appreciated.

RC Champion
    The engine should be running at 220-240 degrees. That is normal.

Reading the manual will help you a lot as well.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    ok thanks man

Do yourself a favor and invest $26.00 into a Duratrax hand held temp gauge... Saves engines in the long run...

Under 210 or over 270 you risk engine damage or failure over a period of time.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    yea i have one on my ebay watch list that i will be purchasing soon. thanks nitronaught!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I prefer Traxxas on board temp gauge. I had the duratrax hand held, and sometimes it gave me diff readings, others just error. I think it doesn't work good on nitro motor, on brushless motor had no issues with it.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 05-17-2013 at 04:14 AM.

RC Champion
    how much was the readings off by? did you test the onboard guage reading vs. the duratrax reading?

RC Champion
    If you have a little extra money to spend, get a Fluke handheld temp gun. Its the most acurate in the industry of temp guns. Its +or- 1 deg in 100 deg. So it could only possibly be 3 deg off. Others including duratrax is +or- 5deg in 100 deg. So it could be as much as 15 deg off. Check the acuracy range on any temp gun before buying. Unless you plan on staying well within the specified SAFE temp range.
    A little advice to a newbie. Plan on not getting a long life out of your first engine. It takes time to learn how to tune. Your gonna want to push it as far as you can to get faster and faster. The 3.3 does not hold up very well in overheat conditions. Its all part of the learning curve. I have seen too many people bail out or call traxxas product junk because they are still learning. I am guilty of it myself. Once you master your tune and driving. Engines and parts last much longer. I actually use OS engines because of their ease of tuning. Once you get good at tuning a 3.3, you can tune any engine. The 3.3 was one of the hardest engines to keep tuned I have ever used. It seems with a 3.3 that you only have around 4 hours of range on the high speed needle to find your tune. So make tiny andjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    I prefer Traxxas on board temp gauge. I had the duratrax hand held, and sometimes it gave me diff readings, others just error. I think it doesn't work good on nitro motor, on brushless motor had no issues with it.
    You should see how many people have used that hand held without any issues... Thing with the onboard, it is not measuring the temps at the glowplug...

I've also done some comparison testing on handhelds, Raytek being the pricey one, Fluke not far behind, Odnnels hand held and the Duratrax Flashpoint....
    For tuning, you do not need high precision. Your only using the temp gauge to get you in the tolerable performing temps, from there you are tuning by smoke trails combined with performance...

OH and the overall differences between the Duratrax and the above mentioned others was no more than 2-5 degrees..

Go ahead and search, you will find many who agree.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous