RC Enthusiast

Angry My Bandit VXL 2407L Story.

I got my brand new Bandit VXL today. So far we are not starting out on the right foot. Paying $380 (with shipping) for a new vehicle without ANY telemetry hardware is NOT my idea of getting my money's worth. Especially when I found out a LHS has them for $320 with the difference I could have gotten the COMPLETE telemetry hardware if they had them in stock....

Earlier in the day the mail arrived, all the other options for the Bandit except the battery extender for 3S's I order arrived. One of them was a LiPo 3S 6600mAH 30C battery and the Traxxas E-Z Peak Plus charger. I used the charger to charge the LiPo 6600mAH battery and then let it discharge my NiCad 7.2v batteries being as I am not going to be using my Traxxas Nitro's any time soon.

When the Bandit arrived, I unpack everything (two packages) out of the box. I walk the battery to the charging station where I hook up the balance board and battery connector to the Traxxas E-Z Peak Plus, plugged in the specs for the LiPo Battery and let the battery charge. I keep checking it and the mAH reading was beyond the 3300mAH of the stock 2S battery. I walk away for 10 minutes. I go check on the battery again. The battery swelled up like a balloon! Kind of hot to the touch.

I call Traxxas Support, they want me to send my battery back and wanted me to send the charger back. I told them twice the unit was just used to charge a 6600mAH 3S LiPo battery just fine this morning and discharged 2 NiCad batteries.

So I am sending the battery back and hope she gets replaced. But in the meantime I am going to the LHS to get another LiPo battery to replace the fried one. As attempting to discharge the battery for shipping indicates an error of low cap or something like that. 46 more bucks for this battery.

Let's hope things get better from here...

Thanks for reading,
    pc.pro.doc
    4-Tec 4809 | T-Maxx 4910 | Bandit VXL 2704L

RC poster
    How are you planning on sending it back? Once batteries puff isn't their a very high chance of them catching fire?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    +1. I think they made it illegal to ship damaged lipos now.
    Land of the free?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Every time I have seen a lipo blow up like a balloon,(all cells in the pack puffing BIG FAST AT THE SAME TIME, cells do not fail all at once unless something makes them fail), it was charged in nimh mode.

Sorry for your luck, and I hope you get it worked out...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Enthusiast
    I do not know what happened to the Battery, it was charged correctly as it is a LiPo battery not NiMH as they show on the website. But the place I bought the model from said they are sending me a replacement right away earlier this week. I am still waiting for it to arrive. Thank goodness I bought a Vant Battery at 6600 mAH 11.1v 30C 3S LiPo for 50 bucks. So I was not totally out of luck.

Now an update on my Bandit VLX (2407L). This week I went ahead and bought ALL the parts needed for Telemetry set up. Everything was going great until I got to the LAST part of the set up. As I had to wait until the next day for the RPM / Speed Sensor Mount to arrive (6537). What I did not get was the full 6538 kit for my buggy. Because the LHS did not have the 6538 kit though they were supposed to be on order and in the next day. But on 5/15/2013 I went to pick up the very last part I needed and install it and not they still did NOT have the 6538 kit. I put the gear cover back on and spun the wheels and I did not get a single response from the RPM / Speed Sensor or trigger set up. The Voltage and Temp work, but that was it?!

I took the Buggy back to the the LHS that evening and they could not figure out what was wrong with it. They told me to call traxxas support in the morning as they thought they were closed. I get home and call them up as they are still open until 9:00PM Central time. It is 9:45PM EST. So I called them up, and I talked with someone there about my problem (Mr. Parker). He requested me to send photos of the setup to him. I happily did so the same night. I sent them. Thursday goes by, no e-mails of a solution.

So just a while ago, I put my college thinking cap on, sat down and I started brain storming as to why this would not work. As it has been bugging me for a few days now. All of a sudden the gears in my mind started down an unthinkable track. I believe I stumbled onto the problem. The kit #6538 Trigger Magnet Holder with Magnet (slipper) does not align the with RPM / Speed Sensor pickup. The pickup sensor sits near the center at about 1/8" - 1/2" from center of the spur gear shaft and the Trigger Magnet spins on the far edge away from the pickup trigger sensor at around 1/16th" - 1/8th" away from the pickup sensor near the spur gear teeth. Enough for the magnet not to trigger the pickup sensor it is in there. This causes a misalignment of this section of the Telemetry. Ironic, isn't it. My LHS did this section of this as they had the Trigger Magnet Holder (slipper) laying around I paid 3.00 for just this SINGLE part?!?! Then had to pay for the screws and magnet all separately (7.50) for something that doesn't work!

I just sent an e-mail to Mr. Parker and Traxxas Support along with the photos I took Wednesday night and referenced two photos. As it turns out. I unmounted the Trigger Magnet Holder with Magnet and set it in the gear cover, you can see just how far apart the trigger and pickup sensors are apart from one another. So I am right about what is wrong, now I am just waiting on a solution. Thus far I am about 570 bucks + travel, as the hobby shop I am dealing with is a 45-50 minute drive away from where I live, into this model.

I just got this Buggy one week ago today and I am not all that thrilled with Traxxas right now even with a BRAND NEW MODEL that has led to nothing but disappointments and a very huge inconvenience and not to mention a very big hole in my pocket. Will I buy another Traxxas Model again? I'll have to think about it for the rest of my life!

Best Regards,
    Doc

RC Qualifier
    From reading your post it sounds to me like your issue is the LHS, not Traxxas.
    Nitro Rustler, Rustler HW Brushless Motor, ESC

RC Enthusiast

Thumbs up Finally all is well. (Thumbs Up)

Quote Originally Posted by JayMcGill View Post
    From reading your post it sounds to me like your issue is the LHS, not Traxxas.
    Yes, I too have come to the same conclusion this past week. Particularly one employee there who I will avoid at all costs. But the owner there was has made amends with me in discounts with replacement parts his employee broke (5552 replaced with 5552X half cost).

But I am here to update everyone and set the record straight. I was amazed at the support I got when I called Traxxas Support (TS) and I spoke to an Ian Parker. I explained to him everything that had transpired with me the LHS. He went out of my way and did not deceive me in any way, shape or form. In fact, after calling TS last week he took it upon himself and made everything right for me. He got everything working the way it should be with having the right parts on hand to see it through. I owe him much gratitude and appreciation for his kind assistance.

All TQi Telemetry functions work. And if anyone believes the 'Dashboard' in the Traxxax Link App, my max speed was 88 MPH with a MAX RPM of 55.1, MAX Temp of 135. Mind you this is with everything stock except the 11.1V 3S 6600mAH battery being used. The only upgrade I have put into her are the blue metal turning knuckles in the front end. I have the Anaconda tires on their way for some street testing to use the optional 28T pinion gear which came with the car, but I also have the 33T pinion gear on hand as well. I am bound to give one of them a try here this week or this weekend. Because the Alias tires are for off roading as they are almost slickers now from running on wet cement. lol

So, yeah. I agree with JayMcGill. The problem was not Traxxas the problem is with the LHS. But mind you, I did not buy my Bandit there. I bought mine online. but I would not change a thing.

Next up: I have to figure out why the electronics are giving me random problems. VXL-3 will cut out every now and then, triggering a low voltage even on a freshly recharged battery. Today the entire TQi went out of sync and even quit linking up with the transmitter for a bit. I powered off my iPod Touch for a few, turned it back on, mounted it back up, powered on the Transmitter, then the VXL-3 and all was fine. As I said, really odd...

I wonder what it would take to be an official Traxxas Dealer. I have loads of experience, patience and the smarts to do so! Hmmmmmmm....

(more to follow)

Best Regards,
    Doc
    Last edited by pc.pro.doc; 05-23-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Title & Icon