Thread: connectors

RC Qualifier

connectors

I have been using the Traxxas connectors but lately they seem to come unsoldered a lot. I have been thinking of switching to the banana plugs that are rated for 120 amps. What does everyone else use?

RC Champion
    I use the Traxxas connectors on all of my rc stuff, boats, car, trucks and planes, with no issues.

Most unsoldering of connectors is due to an improper solder connection. Most of the time it's a "cold solder" or the wire moved a little before it completely set.

The EC 5 connectors are very good and I have soldered many of them for a friend that uses them. He had soldered some at first in a Spartan he bought used and a few connections came unsoldered. But since I did the resolder for him, no issues!!!

You can get solder that has some silver in it which requires more heat to melt it, but is hard to find. Just a thought!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Thanks orca. I have decided to go to the EC5 connectors. I also ordered the soldering jig from Kintec. This should help make a perfect solder joint.

RC Qualifier
    I also use EC5's and have had no issues to date.

hog

RC Qualifier
    I have switched over to the EC5 connectors on both boats ,batteries and charger. They plug together very well and being rated at 120 amps they should easily handle the electrical loads of the Spartan. I also noticed a spot where my hull had started to separate from the top deck. I used blue masking tape on both the hull and upper deck . I then carefully opened up the section that was coming apart and applied the waterproof two part epoxy in the seam. I wiped of the excessive glue and removed the tape. A perfect fix. The two part plastic epoxy can be purchased at any hardware store such as Ace and is the only glue that I have found that will last. I have also fixed some slight cracks in my sons upper deck and hatch last year and they never came apart. It also cures very quickly so you can be back on the water in no time.

RC Champion
    Two part epoxy sure has many uses and you have found another good use for it.

Nice on the EC-5 connectors... I have just way too many batteries and rc cars and boats to have to do that.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    has anyone tried the new castle creations connectors? they are rated for 200amps.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hopduperevo View Post
    has anyone tried the new castle creations connectors? they are rated for 200amps.
    No, not if they have a new connector.
    Do they actually have a new style connector, or are they the CC 200 amp bullet connectors?
    Do you have a link?
    thx
    hog

RC Qualifier
    The Castle connectors look very nice. I can buy the EC5 connectors for 1.18 a pack and at 120 amps this is all you will need.

RC Qualifier
    I like those new CC connectors, but I'm on board with SJS for now, for the price the EC5 are performing well and meeting my needs. If I am ever in need of higher amp connectors I will definitely consider these new CC polarized connectors.

hog

RC Qualifier
    ok cool i was wondering if they were over priced or i guess over kill and it sounds like they are.thank you both

RC Competitor
    EC5 been 5.5mm bullets and the new CC connectors been 6.5mm bullets im hoping you guys are silver soldering the connectors