Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Champion

Project backyard Basher

Ive decided to do a few upgrades to my other maxx. Only run this one on 4s witch is plenty for bashing around. I already have a set of flm hybrids and the lst2 axle set up waiting for the stock diffs and axles (bent one already) to fail. Heres what im putting together for now.

Stock chassis, Im going to make some braces to hopfully keep it in one pc.
    Stock diffs w/alum cups and cases, Got about 6 runs on them and still nice and tight.
    It already has all the usual rpm suspension stuff, trx cvds
    I dumped the cheapo alloy bulks and braces and skids for these. 7 out of the 8 of the hindge pins were bent.lol
    GH chassis braces
    ACNC bulkheads
    CPM titanium skids
    My own brand hardened hindge pins custom fit with (3) 1/8" thick steel cross bars. 1-front 2-rear
    flm towers
    big bores from my roadmaxx w/70 weight and 6.9 springs
    A couple parts from a gh servo saver. Keeping the stock servos for now with stock saver part.
    Still waiting for the bulks and chassis braces to start putting it back together.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-10-2013 at 09:42 AM.

RC Racer
    Nice. Looks like it's gonna take some good abuse.
    Stampede VXL
    E MAXX - Go Big Joe's or go home!

RC Champion
    Thanks stamp, Another fun little project. Im going to keep this one short and sweet and cheap. lol

A new project on the go...Nice!
    Rock n Rolla !

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I'm diggin the motor blower. LOL This is going to be another nice build.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Thanks guys, Not shore if im going to keep the blower on this one. Although the belts do seem to hold up pretty good on 4s. Maybe a couple extea braces on the roll bar will protect it. If I stare at it long enough I will figure out something.

RC Qualifier
    Hey nice soft-ssembly so far. Looks good. How are those titanium skid plates? Do you like them better than the Integy ones?

RC Champion
    Trying to keep it soft on the wallet too. lol But like I said I have the first flm hybrid set up I put together and the losi axle set up waiting for failure of the traxxas parts. I don't bash it real real hard so it should hold up for a while. The skids are nice. A little thinner than the integy and flex a little more but that's not a bad thing. Something has to give. Time will tell how they hold up.
    Still waiting for the bulks and braces. I got the braces and I got the wrong ones. Shorter ones. for older maxx

RC Qualifier
    Nice one. Not always sure it is easy to keep another build soft on the wallet though
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    Trying to keep it soft on the wallet too.
    I hear that...I am terrible trying to keep my wallet soft .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Still waiting for some parts. While its apart I figured it was a good time to make a little .050 thick spacer to stiffen up the the stock servo saver spring. seems to have worked good. much stiffer now. should be stiff enough to steer a little better under power but not so stiff that it will blow the stock servo gears. I had a not so smooth action alum one before and replaced the servo gears twice. Next time they go it will be a one hytec servo setup.
    I also came up with a repurposed proline roll cage support for the front cage to chassis to protect the blower. I will get a pic of it so you can see what im talking about.

RC Champion
    I used a proline body post as a front roll bar brace. I shortened the top parts where the body clips go through to about a 1/6" and ground some little grooves to hold it on the roll bar. Chopped out the switch holder and Then for the bottom I cut two little triangle shaped pcs of fairly hard 1/4" thick rubber and stuffed them down into the corners of the chassis in front of the servos as a little shock absorber. Then just shortened the posts for a nice snug fit.

These came today. ACNC alum bulkheads. Nice solid beefy looking bulks. Just need to file the front side of the front ones a little where the bottom pin goes through so my 1/8" thick steel cross brace will fit flush.

Chassis braces should be here soon. Then I can put it back together.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-14-2013 at 11:39 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice work. Those Bulkheads sure look the part, combined with the Al Diff cases and shimmed Diff's would expect it to be close to bullet proof

RC Champion
    Thanks mugs, I never did shim the stock inner diffs but if I remember they fit nice in the hr alum cup. And the diff fit perfect in the integy alum cases and allow for a slightly bigger 10x16mm bearing on the one side. I also put all avid bearings in them.
    I only run 4s on this truck so they should hold up for a while. When they do decide to go I will either put the first set of flm hybrids I built (that are sitting on the shelf) in it . or save them for quick swaps in my roadmaxx that I seem to like blowing the diff gears out of on 6s lol and do the losi diff mod and not end up with a nice set of acnc bulkheads in the draw.

RC Champion
    Got some work done on this project last night. Pretty much got most of it put back together. Chassis braces should be here today or tomorrow. These should keep the bulks straight.

The acnc rear bulk fit the form of the stock chassis perfect.

But the front one theres a gap?

Used all my own brand of m2 hardened steel hindge pins. No more bent pins.

RC Qualifier
    Hey what kind of stand is that and will it hold the emaxx with the tires on it
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Champion
    The top part is a dura trax stand and the bottom is wood that I made because the plastic stand bottom cracked. And if I remember it wasn't quite tall enough for my maxx with tires on it so I made it a little higher.

RC Qualifier
    Where do you get your pins from, do you think they're better than plastix? I'm currently using Plastix Thorough hardened Steel pins and they don't bend

RC Champion
    I buy all my hss tool blanks from cenco grinding for my shop. So I just used some of my stock to make the pins. I think they are just slightly harder than the plastix through hardened ones so probably not really any better.

RC Champion
    I was up late last night working on my maxx. some clearer pics this time,had my camera on the wrong setting, finally figured it out after new batts didn't help. lol Got the GH chassis braces and cpm titanium skids all mounted up.

And since the rpm bumpers didn't fit with the cpm skids very well I decided to use these alum ones that I blacked out the center groove on. I always did like the look of these anyway.

Just for something a little different than the traxxas wheelie bar wheels. I got some of these banzi wheelie bar wheels 5.00 a pair on ebay, and modified them with some 3x7x3mm flanged avid bearings. Instead of counterboring each side it was easier to just drill them out to 7mm and use flanged bearings with a couple little spacers in between them so I can tighten them right up without binding up the bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Nice work ! Quick question though, I see you have gone dual servos, you prefer that set-up?

RC Champion
    Ya I know, It Still has the stock servos in it. Not exactly bashing material, Just not ready to throw another 100.00 at it right now. Hopfully get the summer out of it since I don't get much time to play with it. Just spent 800.00 on this to get it back on the road, Brake work and new tires. I bought this car brand new in 1985. Still in awesome condition with every HD high performance part you can think of in it. 50 and still got my 5.0 lol Ive had it for 28 years. Wow, that makes me feel old. Heres a couple pics of my old stang.

Its never seen the winter. Still solid top to bottom.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-16-2013 at 05:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That's a nice car ! Classic , glad to hear you held onto it

RC Champion
    Got a Little more work done last night. I dremeled a little clearance on the clutch cover so I can fit a couple shock tower braces to the top hole in the towers. Going to pick up some more alum tubing today to make them.

And since I liked the blue shorter body w/the bright orange and yellow graphics on my roadmaxx I wanted to find another one just like it so I would have one to keep for pics and one to scratch up. After a lot of searching on ebay I found another blue one. But had to buy this silver one that im going to use on this project and a red one and a green one too. lol
    And it just fits over the back of the cage.

I like these shorter bodys and they allow a little room to keep the bumpers from crunching into the body. Especially in the rear. Good ole ebay 30.00 for all four + 18.00 s+h. Still a good deal. 12.00 ea.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-17-2013 at 09:04 AM.

RC Champion
    More progress, I made the shock tower braces and installed them. Rotated the motor 90 deg. so the wires are not in the way of anything. Got the body posts on. Just need to shorten some screws for the bottom holes. Drilled through and put lock nuts on the bottom bumper to bracket holes. Used these strong springs that I made for my other rig on the rear bumper to hold it down in place. Hooked them around the wheelie bar cross pc and into the cut outs on the lower part of the skid. These with the springy titanium skid that extends just up behind the bumper make a nice sort of shock absorber for the rear. On impact the bumper will slide up the skid and the springs pull it back down into place.

That's all for now. Working on a couple more cushioned crumple zones that return to shape after the crash. lol

RC Champion
    Still working on this thing. lol I decided to ditch the proline body post/cage support thing in favor of some matching 5/16" alum. tubing that I used for the tower braces. And position them more to the center right over the screws that go to the bulks bulks. I cut and fit a pc of the same rubber to put under them. Had to sacrifice a rpm bumper for the little pcs that hook into the roll bar. lol It was the right size.

And heres a little tire and wheel and weight info I saved while playing around seeing what the different ones looked like on the truck. Might be interesting to some of you. The mashers are taped and balanced. others just balanced. oz will be close approx.
    Axial 40 series oversize beadlock wheels with axial terra-izer tires = 11.3oz (custom rings make a bit lighter but cant be much)
    Stock Traxxas revo geode wheels w/plastic rings and traxxas tires = 12.6 oz
    Proline commando beadlock wheels with proline roadrage tires = 13.7 oz (not shown)
    Proline commando beadlock wheels with proline masher tires = 17.6 These are beasts.

I think im going to go with the axial set up for now. There the lightest, They have beadlocks, one of a kind customized beadlock rings and I like the 8 spoke design. + there black through and through so no paint or chrome to wear off. Just wish the tires were a little more aggressive.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-20-2013 at 12:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    A moments silence please for the RPM Bumper.......nice ingenuity though, I have found similar plastic parts to be mighty useful in other applications on my truck too

RC Champion
    Lol , yes a few moments of silence for the bumper. I would have used it but it wouldn't fit with the cpm skid. Plus these alum. ones match the body color and beadlock rings. should look pretty good when all put together. soon!

I like your thinking mate...Nice!
    Rock n Rolla !

ACNC bulkheads
    CPM titanium skids
    Do you have any inks to these products...I can't seem to find them.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Mitch, This is where I got them on ebay of course. See other items on these links for the rears. There nice strong parts. Especially the skids,maybe not real thick but nice and springy.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TITANIUM-SKI...item460f12a88c
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Maxx-3-3-T...item3f25591dbd
    Sounds like your building a maxx. Nice!
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.

RC Champion
    Ok, I decided enough with the roll cage braces. Just going to keep the front ones I made and not end up with it looking like the Eifel tower. lol I got some thin mylar washers to put behind the wheel nuts to keep them from digging into the wheels.
    would rather of used thicker ones for strength too but I have shortened the traxxas hubs to fit a lock nut on the axle. So theres just enough threads left to hold the nut and a .015 mylar washer. I also put just enough shock spacers on to get rid of the droop. The suspension feels pretty good. So its ready for a run to see how it works.

Just needs a little something on the front of the body. grill,headlights,ect.
    I probably should have just cut to the chase and built it with the 1/8th diffs and losi axles with big bearings. But I like to build and mod so that will be another project.

Sounds like your building a maxx. Nice!
    The seed has been planted in my head...thinking long and hard about an eMaxx build. I have got a lot of good ideas from from your build threads and others. I'm thinking an eMaxx would be nice to go alongside my eRevo.

I will await your feedback on the titanium skids...I take it this rig will be doing some jumping and hard bashing.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Sounds good mate, I Don't bash it real real hard. Jumps are fun but I like to keep it w/in a few feet of the planets surface. lol I think no matter how strong you build one of these things if you send it up high enough theres a good chance somethings going to break when it comes back down to earth. and I really don't want to destroy something I spent a bunch of money and time on. But as you can see from my roadmaxx vids I don't baby them too much. After the new and shiny wears off you tend to get a bit more crazy with them. I have a nice big back yard but not much good jumping areas. Might have to build a jump.

RC Champion
    Last night I put a face on it. The four short bodys I got came with 4 big huge traxxas decal sheets. So I used just a couple to give it a little personality. The traxxas windshield decal shortened on the sides to fit the front graphics and a couple pcs of some tribal stripes for headlights and black out the little thingys on the bottom. I like it, dont want to beat it up now. lol
    That's the only problem with me is i like them so much, i really don't want to beat the crap out of them once there built. But at least if you build them strong you can still have a lot of fun jumping and wheelies ect. w/out going totally ballistic and ripping the arms off of it. lol Heres a couple pics of the finished maxx. Although there never finished. This one is with out a doubt is going to have another rebuild with stronger diffs and axles and bearings. I really want to keep the stock chassis on this one so i can put an outerware on it for a little winter fun and hopfully got it braced and supported enough to keep it in one pc.
    The red toe links are going to have to go in place of some black ones. Im picky and they just don't fit the color scheme.
    Probably going to make another little something to keep the dirt and grass from packing in between the rpm and cpm skids.

I was happy to see with (2) 2 cell 5800 batts on board it weighs a total of 13 1/2 pounds.Not too bad considering all the alum. and a cage.
    I think its worthy of sending some pics to rc driver and car action magazines and see if i can win some more prizes. My other roadmaxx won show off of the month in rc driver and is also going to be in the readers rides page in the next issue of RC car action. Hoping to win the ride of the month. Last year when i got into these things i thought to myself wouldn't it be cool to get my truck in one of the magazines. So i built the coolest looking maxx i could thing of and sent in some pics and oh so happy when i got emails back from the editors. "We want to put your truck in the magazine but we need your last name and address" lol Forgot to put them in with the pics.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-22-2013 at 09:16 AM.

RC Champion
    I sent some pics to the magazines, now I just want to look at it for a couple days before I take it out and start beating it up. lol

RC Qualifier
    Nice work, its looking good. Good Luck with the getting published again.

RC Champion
    Thanks mugs, I got another little mod im going to do tonight. I think you will find it funny. Also Got a little 1/16 black revo wing too. looks good on it, might put it on just to keep the grass out of the rear body clips.

RC Champion
    While I was lying in bed the other night I thought of an idea. So I dug through the trash and found the remains of the rpm bumper.

The remains have been reincarnated into a brush guard. lol

Theres still a couple sizeable chunks left. Better throw them in the draw. You never know. Might be useful for something.

I cut off the mounts on the bumper brackets and fit it in there place and drilled through and put lock nuts on the screws.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-23-2013 at 03:56 PM.

RC Champion
    And these to hopefully keep the little zip ties on the back from breaking every time in lands on the roof. Made a cushion for the braces out of a pc of rpm skid that I cut up for my other rig and some foam.