RC Qualifier

Looking for a new Motor ESC combo

I have had my trucks in storage for over a year and I am going to get them back out and get them fixed up. I have some 8200mAh 3s lipo's I am going to run in them. I am leaving the original motor and ESC in the Stampede but the Slash is getting a new motor and ESC (It has aftermarket but they are messing up).

I really do not do any racing. Just some bashing around. I do like making them go fast but speed runs are not my main priority.

I am just wondering what Motor and ESC do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.
    plz iz not a wurd

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like you might want to look at the mamba max pro / 2400kv combo. Pretty popular choice and a good system for running 3S with long runtime batteries.

RC Qualifier
    +1 Being in a hotter calumet the 2400 system will really help to keep motor temps to a minimum.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    I have the mmp/2400kv in 3 of my slashes and 2 stampedes all geared 18/54 and run 3s with no heat issues

+1 on the MMP/2400 combo.
    Nobody is born with experience.

Its the best choice for hardcore bashers and it will stay cool if geared well in all temps and loves 3s and 4s .....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Well, I was thinking about getting the mamba max pro / 2400kv combo, but since no one seems to like that I will keep looking around for something better Seems like mamba max pro / 2400kv combo is the way to go. I guess I will order one up. Thanks guys!
    plz iz not a wurd

Good choice man you will not be disappointed with the power you will get from that system dude.....peace

RC Qualifier
    Now, if I wanted to throw a monkey wrench into things, and I wanted a fully water proof system, what would you guys say?
    plz iz not a wurd

You want to get the new castle mm2 waterproof esc and the 2400kv motor and you are good to go bro......peace

RC Qualifier
    Well, I went ahead and ordered the MMP/2400Kv system. Since this is going in my Slash, and I still have the stock electronics in my Stampede I will just save one for playing when it is wet and play with the other whenever it is not wet. When/if the stockESC burns up on the Stampede, I will just replace it with the MM2 Waterproof ESC.

Thank you for your input everyone.
    plz iz not a wurd

RC Enthusiast
    That's a good plan, have fun.

RC Qualifier
    What kind of added cooling do I need for this? Any at all? I do live in South Texas (even though this year I do not think it knows where it is, been VERY cool this year so far) so it can get really dang hot. Looking at summer days being 90 degrees plus ambient air temperature.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    plz iz not a wurd

RC Qualifier
    I have the MMP/2400kv in my Stampede and I live in south Mississippi where temps get to 90 to 95 degrees F if not higher. I run Castle's motor fan and geared 15t/54t on 3s and don't have any trouble. Temps don't get over about 160 degrees F.

RC Qualifier
    Ok great, I ordered one from my LHS. Will be in next Thursday. That will be almost a week after my motor. I should be ok to install the motor and ESC and just keep an eye on the temps right? Plus, I think being nervous about it the first week and keeping an eye on it will make me feel better after I have the fan on. Even though, knowing me, I will still hawk eye the temps for the first week despite everyone telling me I will be fine... lols
    plz iz not a wurd

If not maybe go for the 2650kv castle motor instead dude ......peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    If not maybe go for the 2650kv castle motor instead dude ......peace
    The motor and ESC are already in the mail. I am super excited. It is the motor fan that I am going to have to wait for from the LHS.
    plz iz not a wurd

RC Qualifier
    With that motor you will be fine without the motor fan until it comes it. I live in Austin and ran a similar sized motor all last summer with no fan and temps were fine. I was geared 15/52 on 3S.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    With that motor you will be fine without the motor fan until it comes it. I live in Austin and ran a similar sized motor all last summer with no fan and temps were fine. I was geared 15/52 on 3S.
    For the 2400, that is geared quite defensive. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but since the low Kv rate, the 2400 can handle a bit more without being pushed to its limits.
    Depending on the throttle finger specs, it might stay cool with 17/52.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    K
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    For the 2400, that is geared quite defensive. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but since the low Kv rate, the 2400 can handle a bit more without being pushed to its limits.
    Depending on the throttle finger specs, it might stay cool with 17/52.
    I would be careful running 17/52. I ran 18/54 for a short period of time and seen 180 degrees doing speed runs with heavy braking.

RC Qualifier
    So, thinking about running the 15/52 gear setup, just to be safe. Now, I have a few questions. The 15 is the pinion right? That is the little metal gear attached to the motor? And the 52 is the Spur gear. That is the big plastic one that is by the Slipper Clutch right? I know these are n00b questions, but I just want to be sure.

So, it is all prepped up... And waiting to go...

Click on the image, then click on the new image, then click again for the maximum resolution.

The fan is on order for the motor. Anything else I should worry about?

I also did some research. On my Slash I bought second hand, there was a lot of stripped holes. Basically EVERY plastic hole was stripped. I did the CA glue trick. I really hope I did that right. Put a drop in the hole and a drop on the screw and screwed it in and left it...
    plz iz not a wurd

RC Qualifier
    Johnh, Yes,Yes Yes Your good to go, as for gearing on 3s sounds good as stated in replies . Here is cc gearing chart.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ring_chart.pdf

Note it is for 3 & 4s. Concerns on parts in pic, stock axles & stock slipper clutch, rear 12mm plastic hexes.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh2005 View Post
    The fan is on order for the motor. Anything else I should worry about?
    Yes! Those stock axles!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    Johnh, Yes,Yes Yes Your good to go, as for gearing on 3s sounds good as stated in replies . Here is cc gearing chart.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ring_chart.pdf

Note it is for 3 & 4s. Concerns on parts in pic, stock axles & stock slipper clutch, rear 12mm plastic hexes.
    Thank you for the link. The truck actually has a FLM diff. It is actually in the picture (on accident) it is by the red cup on the left side next to the old Novak motor. For my Stampede I upgrade the slipper to one for the Revo I think? If I break that FLM should I upgrade to the Revo one for this as well? The stock axles... Well, I have a few spare ones in the parts bin... I guess I need to look into upgrading them. I hear a BUNCH of people scream MIP MIP MIP, they are quite expensive... I also hear good things about some others. For those of you that recommend other's what are your thoughts on those vs the MIP's? As far as the rear 12mm hexes go, the fronts were already upgraded. I would like to get two more like those. I like that they have the little grub screw type thing to tighten them down once they are snapped into place. However, I have no idea what kind they are. Does anyone know right off hand and where I can get them?

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me out. =)
    plz iz not a wurd

If you look for aluminium 12mm hexes then the backs will be as good as the fronts i use traxxas ones part no.1654x but if you look around you will find the ones with the grub screws and the other driveshafts to look at are teknos and the traxxas steel ones all are awesome its down to personal preference and i am a MIP fanboy because i have had mine for over 26-28 months and had no problems at all and i have beaten them hard.....peace

RC Qualifier
    So, is the pinion gear I need?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXF61&P=ML

0_o n00b question again, just making sure...

So, is this the spur gear I need? Again, I have the FLM center diff.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZWT8&P=7

Sorry for all of the n00b questions. I just want to make sure I get this thing set up right...
    plz iz not a wurd

Yes dude both of those are what you need man...peace...ps ask as many questions as you want dude thats what we are here for bro

RC Qualifier
    I don't use any TRX pinions that are chrome colored, the black ones are good.

I use these pinions, RRP 1715 Hardened 32 Pitch Absolute Pinion 15 Teeth. JMHO
    Last edited by Shaky17; 05-16-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Late reply
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Are they not up to the job or something else dudeI use 5mm pinion so i would not know about the chrome ones....peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Are they not up to the job or something else dudeI use 5mm pinion so i would not know about the chrome ones....peace
    Iv had two crack at the grub screw, I also don't like the sound they make

+1 on 5mm
    Last edited by Shaky17; 05-16-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: bad wordadge
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail