Thread: E Maxx "V-Twin"

RC Competitor

E Maxx "V-Twin"

Hey, I am currently working on a deal to get this Traxxas E Maxx V-Twin "Bigfoot" truck. It would make a great addition to our shows.

My question is, should there be anything about a "V-Twin" setup that I should be aware of? I am not very familiar with dual motor trucks / setups.

First thing of course is that 27mhz radio will be upgraded lol.
    Founder of the Mini Monsters RC group

RC Champion
    Ok, so be ware that they either work great, or are major pains. make sure the batteries and ESCs are wired in parallel, if you just hook one battery into one ESC, and the other into the other, you run the risk of having one side LVC before the other, and you end up buring the other system thats still running.

other than that, make sure that theyre running about the same temps, and if they are, then ur all good. if one becomes siginifantly hotter than the other (either the motor or ESC) then uve got a problem.

The other issue is ur running a brushless system in a 3906, so some mods may be required cause it was never meant to take that power, but those may have already been done. i cant tell and dont know enough about 3906s to know for sure.

I love those dual motor BL setups, cool truck.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Competitor
    I'm not worried about the battery wiring to the ESC's as it has 2 ESC's. Each Velineon motor has its own VXL-3s ESC. I'll just put a lvc on each battery.

I haven't seen the truck in person yet, will be asking the seller alot more questions when it comes time to trade.

RC Champion
    You mean a LVA (low voltage alarm)? Ya, that works too,
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    You mean a LVA (low voltage alarm)? Ya, that works too,
    If you can hear it. If you don't want to make the adapter to run the batteries parallel, which would be cheaper, you also could look at a Novak smart stop. With the smart stop when one systems hits the lvc it will stop the truck from running and save the second system.

From looking at the pictures it doesn't look like there are many upgrades besides a RPM bumper, which leads me to believe that the seller probably didn't do the necessary upgrades for the 3906 to handle brushless power. The things I have noticed are the stock wheel shafts, while they will work they are weak. Also if you look at the cutout in the chassis in front of the transmission you see black, which means that the center shafts are probably stock. If they are you will be changing them out all the time, they will twist. I was twisting them running a 775 before I went brushless. I could be wrong they might have used MIP shafts which have a black cup, but I would ask them.

There are many threads and sites for upgrading a 3906 to handle brushless power. You might want to check them out before talking to the seller again. I have recently finished upgrading my son's 3906 to brushless and will be starting a thread here also.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the info. Your probably right about the upgrades. I will most likely not trade for this truck. I dont want to dump money into it.

If you upgrade the knuckles, shafts, and center shafts to 3.3 spec you should be fine, all stock parts from either the EMBE or 3.3 maxx parts. They are cheap on ebay and should easily hold up to the vtwin. I would recommend mip if you were using an MMM.

Sent from my Torch!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMonstersRC View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Your probably right about the upgrades. I will most likely not trade for this truck. I dont want to dump money into it.
    If you could get the truck cheap enough you could upgrade the drivetrain for around $150-$170. This would cover shaft upgrades all around, differential upgrades, transmission upgrades (steel idlers), and slipper upgrade. Some of these upgrades also require time for modification. You won't need all of these parts right away, you could upgrade the center shafts and just do the rest as you break things.

If you plan to do any bashing videos the bulkheads will need to be upgraded once they break. The stock black ones are really weak, but RPM now makes bulkheads so you don't have to spend a lot on aluminum ones. Also be ready for a shock tower change out.

I'm not trying to scare you away from the truck. I wish someone would have informed me about the upgrades needed on a 3906 when I bought one for my son. Or at least told me what it was, I bought it knowing nothing about RCs and my lhs didn't help much. I will say I did enjoy the process of figuring out how to upgrade things, my son and I learned a lot, but if I would have known I would have tried to get it cheaper than what I did.

RC Competitor
    I was trying to do this all with no cash involved. I am trading my E Revo brushless for a slash 4x4 (with some rpm upgrades) and a SCX10. I was then going to trade the scx10 for the E Maxx. The person who owns the E maxx said its pretty much all stock.
    Might keep the scx10 and sell it instead and buy a new Traxxas truck.

RC Competitor
    You could get some nice videos with the SCX10 if your into the whole crawler thing. Sure the V-twin looks cool but if you don't want to have to do the upgrades it's not worth it.

RC Competitor
    You gave me a great idea. The scx might become my "Camera Truck". I'll mount my Go Pro to it, and use it to film all the awesome things we do with our Traxxas trucks

RC Competitor
    Haha! It might have some trouble keeping up.