Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build thread?

Build thread?

Hi guy's.Wasn't going to do a build thread,but would like a few opinion's.
    Putting a new truck together and I'm color blind.
    I found out pro two was a class,not a truck.(not to bright on my part).
    But I'm thinking of using the rpm trans case,instead of the pro line case,(pl case only).
    Going buy the pic,should I go rpm,or pl case.
    Keep in mind I painted these arms and shock mount's a long time ago,and am aware the paint wont last long.
    It will sport pro line power stroke shocks,Scott Douglas AMISOIL body.(I know I'm lazy body wise).
    And a castle 3800 4pole with a mamba max power plant,and a spektrum s6040 Digital surface-high speed servo,with titanium gears.
    Any help color wise will help.
    I'm on hold waiting for an aluminum steering bell and bulk head,(stock being used for mock up),so I have time to change a few things.
    Any color ides's?
    Any idea's on anything welcome.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    I like the blue shock towers and a arms but with the green tranny its not going to go with the body color scheme. But other then that its looking sharp.
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

Quote Originally Posted by emtkevin View Post
    I like the blue shock towers and a arms but with the green tranny its not going to go with the body color scheme. But other then that its looking sharp.
    Do you think it would look better with a blue rpm trans case,or with the pro line black with aluminum motor plate trans case?
    And thank you for your thoughts.

RC Qualifier
    so you gave in to the pl chassis...good choice! what kind of track are you going to be running on? and id go with whatever case you believe is more reliable but in black. hope you like your chassis. i ran that setup which you have for a while and the exact servo as well.
    2wd slash, PL LCG, CC 3800, Powerstrokes, S6040

Yea it's a long story as to how I ended up with the pl lcg,.
    Here are a couple pic's of one track(poor pic's,but pic's).
    It is being groomed this weekend I think,might not be spot on with that guesstimate.
    I think I'll go with the pl case for looks,just have to change all the inner's.
    but it's a good looking unit.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    I'm color blind too. I know you don't see in black and white like many people think color blind people see..so I would just go with whatever you think looks best. Whenever someone tells me "those two colors don't match" or something like that, I just say "but they do to me so I don't care!" lol

Quote Originally Posted by joe831 View Post
    I'm color blind too. I know you don't see in black and white like many people think color blind people see..so I would just go with whatever you think looks best. Whenever someone tells me "those two colors don't match" or something like that, I just say "but they do to me so I don't care!" lol
    LOL,I hear that,If I had a nickel for every time some one said,what color is that,I'd be rich.
    We see as much color as any one else,just when I see yellow,it might be green orange,or who knows.
    But your logic is sound.
    If it look's good to us,go for it.

RC Qualifier
    my slash really came alive with a new radio and a sensored setup made a huge difference. track looks really nice!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    The track looks great. Lotta work involved.

If you are unsure, go with the blue rpm case, it will match the arms.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Just to buck the trend here, I actually like the multicolored theme there with black and blue and green. I'm not color blind but I just like bright colors and being different.

And the RPM transmission case is a quality part that you already have. I generally lean on the side of function over form. Not sure the quality function is there in the PL case. Really couldn't say.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

Just to buck the trend here, I actually like the multicolored theme there with black and blue and green
    Thanks I have done this before,because it looked ok to me.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I think this one would look better with a blue(the one color I get right)bulk head as well.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Getting all these idea's is great,not sure witch way to go.
    But please keep the idea's coming.

@rag6,yes It's more work then I thought.
    It's not my track(I don't have one),But it's one of the four (or three) tracks we run on thru the summer.
    And Tho I'm not able to help out manually,due to physical limitations.
    The owner is a very nice guy,and let's my grandson a friend and I use it a lot.
    After the serious grooming starts we wont get to practice as much,but it's a nice tight short course.

@ T,D,J,
    I know they say sensored is the way to go on the track,but I run unsensored.
    I have run sensored in my crawler's to get the smoothest low end performance possible,maybe I will give sensored on the track a chance.
    If I do however,I will go with the castle monster I believe,It start's off sensored,and after you achieve a certain throttle position it switches to non sensored,as to let the motor perform to it's peak level.
    I'm told sensoring proses can take away some performance,but most indoor racer's run sensored,so I guess the positive's out weigh the negatives.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 05-10-2013 at 05:44 AM.

RC Racer
    The black would look awesome then if u have blue steering setup or shocks. You will have perfect color setup. I was a graphic designer so I hope I can help. But I also agree that durability comes before style and looks. But Proline tranny is solid so I'd go with that.
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

The black would look awesome then if u have blue steering setup or shocks. You will have perfect color setup. I was a graphic designer so I hope I can help. But I also agree that durability comes before style and looks. But Pro line tranny is solid so I'd go with that.
    Tho I don't share your enthusiasm about the pro line trans,in fact in it's stock form I think it's junk.
    But since the only thing in it still pro line will probably be the lay shaft,and I do like the over sized out put shaft bearing's,and since it is a couple mm wider then the traxxas or rpm cases,it's a perfect with the pro line axles.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Those are tekno,but the new build has the pro track arms,so I purchased the pro line axles.
    Only to find that with the stock trans,they will fall out when the suspension is unloaded,unless you run your shocks in the outer most hole of the rpm control arm's.
    Don't yea just love the way pl engineers think,buy our product,because we made it incompatible with every one else's.
    Sorry just not a big pro line fan.Yet I'm building a nearly 85% pl truck.
    Perhaps my brain is not wired right,lol.
    But in my mock ups the pl does look the best.

Hi guy's,I was hoping to have it on wheel's today,but picked up the wrong steering rod ends.
    But could use the opinion of some one with this lcg.
    In the first pic I have the esc sitting on the chassis right behind the battery.
    On the second its on the optional shelf they give you.
    Wondering were the best place for permanent install would be.
    On the chassis,right behind the lipo,I'm concerned about it taking more of a beating than necessary.
    Or the second pic,were its on the little platform(shelf)given as an optional mounting.
    The receiver is right behind the servo.
    And I know it's not a good idea to run aluminum on aluminum,but I went with aluminum front bearing carriers,and caster blocks.
    Might change over to rpm front bearing carrier's before it hits the track.
    Also will be going with the pro line trans case. For looks,and proper fit with the pro track axle kit.
    Thanks for your input on that.
    All esc mounting opinion's welcome.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 05-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Billy, like what you have so far! I think I mentioned to you before, I too am colorblind! What kind of paint did you use to paint the protrac parts?

Quote Originally Posted by mepster View Post
    Billy, like what you have so far! I think I mentioned to you before, I too am colorblind! What kind of paint did you use to paint the protrac parts?
    Some kind of special outdoor plastic paint.
    I really don't expect it to last long,however when I went to remove it from a couple places it was causing clearance problems,it was extremely hard to get off.
    In fact I finally took the Dremel to it.
    It might last longer than I thought.
    I had that pro track set up laying around for about four or more months,figured it was time to use it.
    Wanted it on wheels today,but as I said I bought the wrong steering ends and caption balls.
    I'm pretty happy with it so far.
    I bought the #7 Douglas body,but went and got a clear jc concepts today.
    Since I have to wait till Wednesday for part's I guess I will paint one up.
    I bought three colors that looked good to me.
    Don't know what they are yet,but the end result will be a surprise to use all.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    the painted protrac parts look very good. oops gotta go the hockey game is bout to start.

LETS GO PENS!!!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Billy it must have been something like krylon Fusion then? One thing is for sure if its been sitting around that long if it comes off it wasn't lack of drying time

I have the #7 amsoil body as well. Us colored blind guys must be drawn to the black/silver combo I know I like it. I like the orange speed body too and IIRC you have that one too?

Well I'm not sure if I want to go with Scott Douglas,or the one hour wonder I just painted.
    Most posts for either will be the one that see's the track.
    Please keep in mind I painted the jc concepts body in less than one hour,so I am aware it is not very good,but ten minutes on a sct,and it will look just fine.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Well I'm not sure if I want to go with Scott Douglas,or the one hour wonder I just painted.
    Most posts for either will be the one that see's the track.
    Please keep in mind I painted the jc concepts body in less than one hour,so I am aware it is not very good,but ten minutes on a sct,and it will look just fine.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Billy it looks sweet

RC Racer
    Got to go custom. Throw some decals on it and show it off.
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

Got to go custom. Throw some decals on it and show it off.
    You think?
    I'm going to get the right steering,suspension ,and caption ball set's to day.
    I'll put some mounting holes in the body and take some pic's later.
    The rest of my parts should be in Wednesday.
    I think I'm going with the esc on the chassis mounting,the optional shelf mount seems a little flimsy to me,just hope my battery doesn't crush it.
    But it looks a lot better,and for what it's worth,keep's all the electronics's on the same level as everything else.
    I'm also going to use a machined aluminum idler gear and the stock pro-line diff.
    At least at first,and see how it holds up.
    Tried that set up in a truck I just let go,and it was doing better than I thought.
    If that fails to soon,I will go to the HR steal combo.
    I'm using aluminum wheel hex's all around,a bit concerned about ruining a bead lock wheel in stead of just taking out a hex,but as long as I remember to keep them tight I should be ok.
    Here's a pic of the esc mount.
    The sidewinder esc wouldn't fit,but the mamba max pro looks like it was made for the spot.
    I thought about using the sidewinder esc since there is a 2s limit.
    Kind of funny that the better esc is the smaller of the two.
    Thanks for the input emtkevin.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    The little plate where the esc is a perfect place for it. As long as its on there with something like durable double sided tape it won't come off and won't take a beating. The rx is in the perfect spot. And I know you think its flimsy but I have easily 200 packs on my setup and never once has it been damaged. And I have the sv2 which is bigger then mounting plate and I've never had a problem.
    Last edited by TheDonJuan; 05-13-2013 at 08:23 AM.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Dude,those painted Pro-Line pieces look really great! I like your body, too. (The truck's) LOL!! Seriously, I like how you tinker with things. Saves some of us from heartbreak. I almost bought a bunch of P-L stuff. You should paint parts all different colors; then nothing has to match, yet it somehow still does!

FLM BL E-MAXX ~ BL E-4TEC Drifter ~ Pro-Trac Slash ~ FLM P2de ~ SCX-10 ~ AX-10 ~ Wraith ~ HPI Custom Nitro dragster ~ 3 Losi micro scalers
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Thanks guy's,nice to hear positive things.
    I thought I was going to get teased about the one hour wonder body,but it has been taken with positive reviews.
    @ TDJ,I might move the esc up to the shelf,if it worked for you,this is the type of input I wanted thanks to everyone for their opinions.
    @ MAXXXMASHER,I painted those months ago,and put them in a bag,and left them till this build,the plastic paint is proving far more durable then I originally thought.
    Here's one that won the body choice,the Scott Douglas body lost to the one hour wonder.
    Still need to drill the pin holder holes.
    Wednesday trans,and track,or Thursday track practice.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

man that thing looks sharp............ love it, nice paint job. i also run the pro 2 chassis, and i have my esc on the included shelf as well. i race dirt oval with mine, but once you put the esc on the shelf and slide the battery all the way back you get great forward bite. and at this point your battery is held in my 2 velcro straps and the esc mounting plate. mine has the stock velineon esc on it with the cooling fan and have had zero problems.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Well like all good things The new build got held up a couple days.
    But everything except the steering linkage is done and track ready.
    I put the rubber clip savers on his(Grandsons) and went with the button top mounts for mine.
    They both have pro line power stroke shocks,pl hing pins(I do like some things pro line),Traxxas aluminum steering bells,and caster blocks.
    The stock chassis has Tekno drive shafts,Rpm control arms,and strc green aluminum bulk head. The pl lcg has aluminum front and rear bearing carriers.
    Here's a pic of the finished product chassis,and a couple of it sitting next to my grandsons stock chassis slash.
    Since the one hour wonder body is being used on mine,I put the Scott Douglas body on his,and but the Rob MacCachren body up as a spare.
    Thanks to those who's input went in to the output.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    Very nice billy. How do you like the button body holders? I've seen them a couple times and they sparked my interest.
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

Very nice billy. How do you like the button body holders? I've seen them a couple times and they sparked my interest.
    As long as the front end doesn't come up on pavement,and send you on a twenty foot top slide,their fine.
    I just sold a truck with them,that did just that,it ground off half the buttons in one slide.
    No matter how much I fight to keep the front of these things on the ground,they always seem to find that happy spot and up comes the front end.
    It is kind of amusing sometimes,I read all these threads of people wanting their trucks to wheelie,and I have an on going challenge to keep them on the ground,and still keep the rear tires grabbing,without to much loosening of the slipper.

RC Racer
    Man I couldn't agree more. I'm anti wheelie myself. Lol. I want control and four on the floor.
    Traxxas 2wd raptor svt

RC Qualifier
    body looks sweet billy! just finished mine up...

body looks sweet billy! just finished mine up...
    That's sweet,did you do your name?
    I really want to do something like that for my grandson.

RC Qualifier
    Juan isn't my name. Lol my names Javier, Don Juan means like sir. It's more of a title f high esteem. It's used in Spanish. It's what they called my grandfather and in remembrance of him I use it. We were extremely close.
    Last edited by TheDonJuan; 05-18-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDonJuan View Post
    Juan isn't my name. Lol my names Javier, on Juan means Mr Juan in Spanish its what they called my grandfather that passed away. So I use it in remembrance of him.
    I see,it's always nice to remember our loved ones.
    My grandson is here with me right now,and wants his name to be,Big A.
    That's his first initial,don't know what the big part is all about.lol.
    No ego problems here.

RC Qualifier
    Haha Big works for any nickname. I see do it and run that on all of his future bodies.

Meet Big A,one happy nine year old.
    What a day and another tomorrow,one of two trucks to come home running.
    Didn't even run mine today,but maybe next time.
    Today was grandpa pit boss.[IMG][/IMG]

Another nice day of racing with the kids and grand kids.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Nice
    LOL I like that one traxxas banner
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Nice
    LOL I like that one traxxas banner
    He has more banner's,and I believe more on the way from other company's.
    I think Losi is holding out but don't know exactly what's going on.

Above was just test and tune day,Its going to be a real blast when the points racing starts.
    This year will be mostly learning for me and Big A,but you never now what can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    He has more banner's,and I believe more on the way from other company's.
    I think Losi is holding out but don't know exactly what's going on.

Above was just test and tune day,Its going to be a real blast when the points racing starts.
    This year will be mostly learning for me and Big A,but you never now what can happen.
    I see
    Well hopefully you two do well once it all starts
    Good luck

Nice paint job btw
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL