RC Qualifier

Discharge Rate, Which is better?

Quick question, if the discharge rate of a LIPO battery is calculated as C Rating x Capacity, then a LIPO battery that is 20C 5000mAH should provide 100A continuous current. So if i use a 10C 10000mAH LIPO battery, it will have the same discharge rate (100A continuous current) as the other pack? Doesnt resistance play a factor in here somewhere? Is it true that these 2 LIPO packs would have identical discharge rates? Can you increase the discharge rate just by having a higher mAH capacity? I thought a higher discharge rate is gained by having a higher "C" rating.

Hopefully someone can jump in here and explain.
    4WD MonsterMutt WPSC8:4Pole 3400kV | GOT DIRT?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    One thing that seems to always get left out when discussing LiPo C ratings; the C rating typically applies to the individual cells within the pack, not the pack itself.

RC Champion
    Yes, those two batteries, in theory, could safely put out similar amperage continually. Higher-capacity lipo cells typically can push more out continuous current than lower-capacity cells.

Also, the design/makeup of a battery affects that. C covers this aspect. So, capacity * C = safe amp discharge amount.

Other things can come into play, like resistance, temperature, solder joints, age, etc. But it's kept simple by just using mAh and C.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Yes, those two batteries, in theory, could safely put out similar amperage continually. Higher-capacity lipo cells typically can push more out continuous current than lower-capacity cells.

Also, the design/makeup of a battery affects that. C covers this aspect. So, capacity * C = safe amp discharge amount.

Other things can come into play, like resistance, temperature, solder joints, age, etc. But it's kept simple by just using mAh and C.
    JW, so what you mentioned "Higher-capacity lipo cells typically can push more out continuous current than lower-capacity cells." is something that i did not know and it was probably the missing piece of information that i needed to understand to accept the continuous current formula (c rating x mAH). If what you say is correct, ill agree with the formula. Just didnt realize higher capacity LIPO's could push out more continuous current. Very interesting.
    4WD MonsterMutt WPSC8:4Pole 3400kV | GOT DIRT?