RC Enthusiast

Is it worth it? Part Duex

I'm debating on picking one of these up for fun. I ran a "Is It Worth It" thread on the full size Summit forum and the responses I got were fantastic. Everyone was pretty much spot on and I couldn't be happier with buying a Summit. I love it so much that a mini Summit seems like fun. I don't expect it to be anything close to the 1/10 Summit in capability. I just want to know if the fun factor is worth investing in another money pit . I only say money pit because it seems there are Thousands of upgrades available at pretty reasonable prices. So it would be like a project, jazz it up, swap out bodies and wheels kind of truck. Something I could run indoors (maybe) but mostly back yard or the local beach/park. Good clearance with big tires.

I just want to try and prevent buying a truck / car that will sit or get sold. I just sold my 1/16 rally. Was rocket fast! But even on the street, just a mess to handle and the smallest pebble, twig or dip and its no fun. I know it's the same chassis; but factoring wheels cost, body and shock or springs... Wasn't worth it.

Is this a FUN, FAST?, Reliable, easy to work on ; back yard basher?

Currently own a Summit 1/10. Pede 4x4 VXL, Pede 2x4 and Slash 2x4. The Pedes the only brushless I own. But I have batteries, lipos, good chargers and all.

Paul

RC Racer
    it is fast it can be reliable with a few mods(e revo axle shafts,shim your diffs) and you should be all set to go.

The mini is going to need different packs that what you currently have... they are very small.
    Since you already have the big brother and a Pede 4x4 I think you will be disappointed with this platform... big bro is MUCH more capable of crawling and the Pede takes care of the need for speed without the heat issues this lil guy has due to its size.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    I am open to all opinions guys. I know the Pede VXL is a monster. Not expecting it to compare yet, the 1/16 rally car I ran on the street was a BLUR. Are the mini Summits geared the same? Or differently ?

Also a question that's been on my mind. With the ESC's and motors always having an optimum range... Is it bad to crawl a mini summit or Pede VXL at slow speeds. For tight maneuvering, and letting the 8 year old feel like we are riding together. Is this bad for the ESC'S or motor ?
    Paul

If you want to go slow, go brushed... unless you want sensored ($$) brushless.
    The VXL will cog at low speeds in crawling situations.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    defiantly a little size issue going on here, lol. i have the vxl brushless mini summit, and it is not the best option for slow crawling. but it sure is a wicked little beast out on a dirt track.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Enthusiast
    AJ Car....
    There are Up-Grades just oozing out of that mini Summit LOL.... Metal everywhere ! Looks sharp !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcaola View Post
    AJ Car....
    There are Up-Grades just oozing out of that mini Summit LOL.... Metal everywhere ! Looks sharp !
    thanks. it took a while to put together because i bought piece by piece each week/month. im really not a aluminum a-arm guy, but i got them from a buddy on a cheap trade. here is a short clip to show you that it also is winter fun. i was running one 2s 2200mah 40-80c lipo with 23/50 gearing. i was run in about three inches of soft snow that was on top of frozen snow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogtmEam7NZk. also my steering servo about to go. you can hear it twitching at times. hope you have luck with what ever you decide to buy. peace
    Last edited by ajcar; 05-08-2013 at 10:31 PM.

RC Champion
    You should probably save your money and upgrade your fleet!
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The mini is going to need different packs that what you currently have... they are very small.
    Since you already have the big brother and a Pede 4x4 I think you will be disappointed with this platform... big bro is MUCH more capable of crawling and the Pede takes care of the need for speed without the heat issues this lil guy has due to its size.
    I agree with Jimmy, you have the big summit, bigger is better IMHO. Plus you have the pede. I wouldn't bother with one of these small ones. The only real advantage it has is that its easy to grab it and a few packs and go play, much easier than the bigger trucks, but it needs upgrades pretty much out of the box.

RC poster
    I have both, and for me, the 1/16 (VXL) has a huge fun factor. I don't crawl with it much at all, but for just ripping around my property, I love the thing. I'm running dual stock batteries with the parallel connector for longer run times, and dual 11.1V LiPo cells when I want to go stupid fast. It is one of my favorite trucks. Worth every penny for me. My 2 year old son LOVES driving the "bee bee wace caw".

RC Enthusiast
    I did grab a used one off of eBay. About 205$. It arrived today. Has a few upgrades on it. Sags a bit in the back. For the fast, fun factor it's a little monster. I can't believe how well it turns without flipping. I think this will even make a great beach car, trail racer or street eater. So many body and tire options! And another thing I like, the hop ups are pretty reasonable. Even the Integy stuff ! Every time I go looking for Summit parts the prices are a little steep? This car doesn't seem to be one of Traxxas' "Better" trucks. But it's goings be a fun project , hop up, add on toy !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcaola View Post
    I did grab a used one off of eBay. About 205$. It arrived today. Has a few upgrades on it. Sags a bit in the back. For the fast, fun factor it's a little monster. I can't believe how well it turns without flipping. I think this will even make a great beach car, trail racer or street eater. So many body and tire options! And another thing I like, the hop ups are pretty reasonable. Even the Integy stuff ! Every time I go looking for Summit parts the prices are a little steep? This car doesn't seem to be one of Traxxas' "Better" trucks. But it's goings be a fun project , hop up, add on toy !
    they sure are fun. glad you had the chance to try one out. just try not to beat it like a 1/10th scale. im going to change back to a mini revo body/posts/rockers/wheels for the summer. some friends, and i get together on sundays at the local school bus garage black top parking lot, and race around all afternoon. we set up a track with rope as our walls. and 1ft jumps. it is real fun. theres about six of us at once running our rc's. at least 4 are traxxas which is great. have fun