Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

lets beat the bush a little more.......... lipo chargers...........

ok so i know its been talked about time and time again. you guys have always been there for me so lets try another round. i currently have the thunder AC6....... I know, I know......... its labelled the "battery cooker". didnt hear about that before i got it. havent had any bad luck yet thankfully, but the more into rc im getting i feel its time to get myself a good charger. now i want something that charges multiple batteries at once. 2 minimum, but i would prefer 4. depending on the price i can work with a 2 battery charger. said charger has to have balance mode, charge mode, storage mode, and would like to have a discharge mode but dont need it. now ive been eying the hitec X4 AC plus

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/cha...4-ac-plus.html

but i could be persuaded to other options. only thing i can see so far that i dont like is that balance charge is only 4.2 amps and not 5 amps like the fast charge. my AC6 even can balance at 5amp charge rate.......... from what im finding though this charger would run me about $225 plus tax roughly. so if anyone knows of something just as good but only does 2 batteries for abound half the price that would be great to. and i could get it sooner even.

anyone have the onyx 245? can that charge 2 5000mah 2s both at a full 5 amps at once?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-08-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: merge
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

I've been seeing a lot of people raving about that Hitec charger. I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but does that charger only put out 50 watts per port? Meaning that you're basically charging 4 batteries at once, but at insanely low rates? I personally would rather charge one pack at a time at a much higher amp rate.

um it says 50 watt independant power supplies so 200watts total for all 4 ports. my ac6 says 50/5.......... not sure what the /5 part is all about though......... but my batteries take roughly an hour from lvc to full charge........... i was also looking at that hitec x2 400 but i need a power supply? how do i charge without a power supply? just off a car battery? how much is a power supply? and what will i gain from the x2? its 400 watts per channel so 800 watts total
    Drag It!

If there is no built-in or external power supply, a large 12V lead-acid battery is the most common power source.

Theoretically, if your charger is a 50W / 6A per channel model:
    You can charge a 2S/6000mAH battery at 1C. Almost every battery for 1:10 RC vehicles on the market today is capable of charging at 2C, some at 5C or more (see Hyperion.) Larger 2S packs will charge at less than 1C.
    You can charge a 3S/4000mAH pack at 1C. Blah blah blah, same as above... Larger 3S packs will charge at less than 1C.

So if you have multiple smaller packs of 2S and maybe 3S, this charger is costing you at least twice as much time as could be spent charging.

Since everybody should by now be aware of the advisability of storage charging LiPo packs, you need to look at the discharge rate too. Throw in the miserable 1A per channel discharge rate of this machine and its $190 price tag after coupons and I don't find much to love.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Spc is selling some great power supplies on their site. Check them out.

I thought that charger had 200w per channel(still will get big packs charged quickly @ 2c and above) for a total of 400?
    I could be wrong tho. My hyperion gets much more powerful when using a 12v source as opposed to the built in ac line. On ac, it can just get up over 13a on a 2s 5400. Off 12v, it goes up to 20a on a 2s 5400 pack. The chargers seem to perform better with separate power supplies.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Ok, so that X2 charger requires 60 amp input and the spc power supply only does 30-40 it says. For up to about a 500 watt charger. The X2 also says its 800 watts total so what are options for a stronger power supply?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I have been using the Hitech 4 port charger for a little over two years now and I have been very happy so far.

For the first year I used a car battery with a battery charger as the power source for charging. But for the past year or so I have been using a Green Power G350 25 amp power supply to power the Hitech charger.

The charge time for most batteries has been 45 to 60 minutes as the max charge rate is 6 amps per port, if the lipo is larger than 6000 mah it takes about another 20 minutes.

You don't need balance boards as the lipo balance plug can be plugged directly into the charger.

Just saying this charger has served me well....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    Ok, so that X2 charger requires 60 amp input and the spc power supply only does 30-40 it says. For up to about a 500 watt charger. The X2 also says its 800 watts total so what are options for a stronger power supply?
    I use the hitec x2 400 with a 575watt 47amp supply it's a dual port which gives you 400watts/20amps each channel which is good enough for me and it is a multi-charger with parallel boards, The most I charge right now is 2 lipos, same time at a total of 23amps and I've done this multiple times from 9am-9pm at the track and my supply or charger has no problems, you don't need a 60amp supply unless your going to push the charger to it's peak performance

The 60A input requirement is puzzling. If both channels are capable of 20A, then where is the need for 60A? I understand some headroom is needed, but the charger should be between 80% and 90% efficient, not 67%.
    FWIW, when my PL6 is charging a 2S pack at 16.4A (8.4 x 16.4 = 138W) my Iota DLS-30 power supply may be providing 13.2V at 10.5A. Forget about when I use my big 24V power supply. Do the math: 138W 24V = >6A.
    I've only ever done one 500-Watt (plus) charge, but my 24V / 44.5A supply didn't even blink.
    Here's the graph:

The packs hit about 95% full in less than 9 minutes. But it's not just about the power. It's about the flexibility, quality, adjustability, etc. etc.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    .... But it's not just about the power. It's about the flexibility, quality, adjustability, etc. etc.
    And the accuracy with which the cells are monitored and controlled.

To anyone questioning the senior members here who are doing their best to share the vast knowledge wrt chargers - listen to them as they know what they are talking about.

ok so if i went with the x2 400 hitec charger i would be fine with that power supply from spc? all my lipos now are 5000 2s except 1 5000 3s which barely gets used. and those all say 1c max charge rate. and i want to get some spc lipos as well. im looking at the 5400mah 2s 50c and it says max charge rate of 2c. so both ports can charge at 10.8 amps safely? and that spc power supply will do the job? i dont know the exact math equation to figure this out lol, but if it works thats good enough for me lol.
    Drag It!

Since SPC Is prohibited from answering due to forum Rules, why not contact an owner? I believe Dadx2mj has one and it has powered three chargers at once. IDK what size or type LiPos were being charged though.

alright now were getting somewhere. dadx2mj said he hasnt even been able to make his work hard yet but to message spc to be safe. so i did that and am waiting on a answer now. but if this all goes well i may end up getting the hitec X2 400 and a power supply from spc.

or does anyone have any other chargers they want to recomend? i really dont know the name let alone model of these good chargers.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    I will be getting my charger tomorrow (hopefully) but it won't have as much features as you'll probably want.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Doesn't Hyperion and cellpro make strong dual port chargers? I believe thunderpower(amazing charger btw) makes one as well. Also you can build a powerful 12/24 volt power supply very cheap. Last year I got 4 dell 700watt 58amp power supply for $25 off eBay and yes they work. There is a thread on the alley showing how to build these monsters. And krb I agree with you. I cannot understand why the hitec required a 60amp input.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    well if you rilly want to be set for life get the revolectrix cell pro 6 or 8 and a parellel borad
    with the mpa parellel borad you can charge 6 packs of the same cell count at once

power lab 6 or 8 can do 40amp charges and the mpa parellel board can make the charger "like a dual port" for same voltage batterys
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    well if you rilly want to be set for life get the revolectrix cell pro 6 or 8 and a parellel borad
    with the mpa parellel borad you can charge 6 packs of the same cell count at once

power lab 6 or 8 can do 40amp charges and the mpa parellel board can make the charger "like a dual port" for same voltage batterys
    That is one of the charger set-ups I have, the FMA PL8. An amazing charger!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Doesn't Hyperion and cellpro make strong dual port chargers? I believe thunderpower(amazing charger btw) makes one as well. Also you can build a powerful 12/24 volt power supply very cheap. Last year I got 4 dell 700watt 58amp power supply for $25 off eBay and yes they work. There is a thread on the alley showing how to build these monsters. And krb I agree with you. I cannot understand why the hitec required a 60amp input.
    Hyperion does. FMA Direct / Revolectrix (makers of Cellpro chargers) do not, but do make a Multi Port Adapter that allows charging of 1 to 6 batteries of the same cell count at the same time.
    Jakey's PL8 is the reason I got a PL6. Amazing chargers.

RC Qualifier
    Just got my Dynamite Passport (6s, AC/DC edition). The fan runs constantly, so the charger actually cooled down throughout the charge. It charged my 5000 SPC pack at 4amps in roughly 1 hour (pack was already somewhat charged)
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    Just got my Dynamite Passport (6s, AC/DC edition). The fan runs constantly, so the charger actually cooled down throughout the charge. It charged my 5000 SPC pack at 4amps in roughly 1 hour (pack was already somewhat charged)
    Is 4-Amps the limit of your new charger?

Most RC battery packs are shipped partially full at a good storage level.

RC Qualifier
    @Jakey

No, it isn't the limit. 5 amps is the limit. I charged it at 4 just to slowly "awaken" it. I didn't want to charge it at full blast the first charge.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

I'm pretty sure that the pp,ultra light is a 6 amp charger.
    I got one free with a truck,and it charged my 6500mah,65c at 6 amps.
    Took about 70 minutes.
    OK,but I need a serious power plant for a charger some time this year.
    I'm getting some larger mah cells and don't want to wait.
    But for a starter charger the pp,is a nice unit with a lot of fetchers others don't have.
    Enjoy you new lipo power B,T.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Oh, I'm loving it so far. What about the Onyx 245? You can charge two batteries at once. I just don't know how well.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

yeah im thinking 2 batteries with faster charge time is better than 4 batteries at same charge time i have now. didnt realize until recently that you could charge higher than 1c rate. im thinking that hitec x2 400 will probly do just great for me though. ill get it first then another time ill get the power supply and a lipo or 2 from spc.
    Drag It!

Just remember. If you do not have the power supply you cannot use the full power of the charger. When it comes to chargers you get what you pay for.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a 245 onyx I charged a 2s 5000 and a 3s 5000 together, the 2s took 50 min and the 3s took 1hr 10 min . no storage or discharge setting. It has readouts for individual cell voltage, total voltage, amps charged, charge time. its not overly technical but it works well for me.

PS it come with multiple leads including Traxxas.
    You can't put a price on fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Hyperion does. FMA Direct / Revolectrix (makers of Cellpro chargers) do not, but do make a Multi Port Adapter that allows charging of 1 to 6 batteries of the same cell count at the same time.
    Jakey's PL8 is the reason I got a PL6. Amazing chargers.
    I got my Hyperion because I needed a strong track side charger that I could trust. Jakey recommended this as one he liked at the track. I got a killer deal on a barely used auction. I love this charger, and it can handle anything from micro copters to mild 1/5 scale vehicles (link another charger to go 14s....). I need to do a review on it. When Tom puts 3 (!)'s after "An amazing charger!!!", you know it's one you want to consider for your bucket list lol. PL8 is now on my bucket list.

so what is this hyperion charger model? fma direct?

edit: nevermind i found it.

Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO3 charger - 2 x 1S-7S, 20A max, 1000W

$280 plus the price tag of power supply is a little more than i want to pay though. does look pretty awesome though and if the wallet could support it i would click buy now lol. i think ill just get the x2 400 though. more in my price range and should easily supply my charging needs i think. 20amp charge rate per channel is more than enough for me. i might use 11amps per channel lol.
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 05-10-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Drag It!

This is the one I have for 130$(mine was 70$ shipped from an auction). It still will pull 20a off a power supply and 13a off of the included ac.
    http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-17...0i-Net3/Detail

that doesnt look to be a bad deal at all. but................. i want one that can charge 2 batteries at once still lol
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    You'll be happy with the hitec, I guarantee

You can charge 3 2s packs at once with a balance board

I just don't feel the hitec is as high of a quality charger as the thunderpower, Hyperion or cellpro. Will it get the job done? Sure but when it comes to batteries especially a lipo I want something I know I can trust. But I can be wrong on my statement about the hitec.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 05-10-2013 at 09:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    I just don't feel the hitec is as high of a quality charger as the thunderpower, Hyperion or cellpro. Will it get the job done? Sure but when it comes to batteries especially a lipo I want something I know I can trust. But I can be wrong on my statement about the hitec.
    Honestly I've never owned any other hitec chargers besides the x2 400 and I have no problems with it, I only charge 2s lipos on it all at 2c and cell voltages, balancing etc. is all good to go, I've only had it about 3months but so far so good

RC Champion
    I must concur with XRated.My HiTec X4 is the only Lipo charger I have owned, and I have had this charger for over two years. I charge 4 lipo's or a mix of lipo and NIMH at the same time.
    I can't compare it to any other units but the unit I have has worked as good as could be expected. The price was decent as I bought it on sale for $99.99 plus tax from my local hobby shop. And I think I paid $39 for the Green Power 25 amp pwr supply.

For the $$ spent on this set up, it has served me well and I believe to be getting my $$ worth.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

I have the 730iNET3 and don't see ever needing a bigger charger. Plus, I'm only using a 12-volt power supply and charging my 5000 and 6000 2S packs at 15 amps with ease! Sure beats waiting an hour to charge a battery. I'm not even sure how many 2S packs I can fully charge within an hour, but I would say at least 3 or 4. If that's not fast enough, I could always up the amperage because it's not even breaking a sweat. That's why I don't see any benefit to a charger that will charge 4 packs at once, but only 50 watts per port.

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-20...0i-Net3/Detail

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    I have the 730iNET3 and don't see ever needing a bigger charger. Plus, I'm only using a 12-volt power supply and charging my 5000 and 6000 2S packs at 15 amps with ease! Sure beats waiting an hour to charge a battery. I'm not even sure how many 2S packs I can fully charge within an hour, but I would say at least 3 or 4. If that's not fast enough, I could always up the amperage because it's not even breaking a sweat. That's why I don't see any benefit to a charger that will charge 4 packs at once, but only 50 watts per port.

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-20...0i-Net3/Detail
    +1, 2 lipos at once is good enough for me and if I needed to charge more I just need a parallel board

ok so i was at the hobby shop yesterday............ i was showing my friend the x4 ac plus. and he was going to get a charger as well. long story short i now own the x4 ac plus charger and he gave me $50 for my thunder ac6 charger. i warned him about its reputation and everything even. i talked the lhs into giving me the charger along with the proline performance steering kit for $225 cash.

i thought about the whole charging less batteries at once but faster vs. 4 at once at up to 6amps. and to be honest if i have atleast 5 batteries which i plan on getting more (now have 3 2s and 1 3s) then i have enough battery to keep me going for my needs. plus all being in one unit i dont need a seperate power supply or anything.

so long story short i already love the charger
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Well there ya have it.... Another happy man and his toys.... Life is good .

What power supply did you get with the X4?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    Well there ya have it.... Another happy man and his toys.... Life is good .

What power supply did you get with the X4?
    none, i bought the x4 ac plus for that price no power supply needed
    Drag It!