Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Bought a Slash 4X4; now to make it bullet proof.

Picked up a Slash 4X4 last Friday and grabbed a few goodies for it. Proline bead locks with Duratrax Bandito tires for ripping around on the street, RPM rear bumper, mud flaps and rear axel carriers, T-Maxx springs in the rear and the 6893X bearing adaptor. Waiting for the RPM A-arms and front bumper to come in and then I'll add some lights; myself and a few other dads like to rip them around in the evenings after the kids are in bed and our wives cut us loose; so lights are a big necessity so we can see which way the truck is facing.

Playing around with the suspension adjustments and have had good luck so far; handles pretty good.
    Last edited by Clint Cart; 05-07-2013 at 06:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice...the tire wheel combo looks really good!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    Aluminum shock caps and hardened TiNi-coated shock shafts are the only other two things I'd do to it right away. The slash 4x4 is already built like a tank. Enjoy!

Oh, if you get tired of rolling over when turning, just add the sway bar kit.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the idea's!
    I'm looking for some good basher tires and another set of bead locks for the dirt but I'm undecided on tires; Trenchers or Badlands?

RC Champion
    King headz motor mount. Trenchers for bashing and tape or strap em trust me. And 3S lipo just keep an eye on temps.

RC Qualifier
    I've heard a bit about those motor mounts, what's the deal with them?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Cart View Post
    I've heard a bit about those motor mounts, what's the deal with them?
    Bigger bearing and longjevity

RC Qualifier
    Ah! Yes. Now I remember. I'll add it to the list. Thanks.

Picked up a Slash 4X4 last Friday and grabbed a few goodies for it. Proline bead locks with Duratrax Bandito tires for ripping around on the street, RPM rear bumper, mud flaps and rear axel carriers, T-Maxx springs in the rear and the 6893X bearing adaptor. Waiting for the RPM A-arms and front bumper to come in and then I'll add some lights; myself and a few other dads like to rip them around in the evenings after the kids are in bed and our wives cut us loose; so lights are a big necessity so we can see which way the truck is facing.

Playing around with the suspension adjustments and have had good luck so far; handles pretty good.

Those Duratrax Bandito's look great on your truck! I love those tires! I did a thread on them. You will be extremely happy with their performance and longevity
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    Thanks for the idea's!
    I'm looking for some good basher tires and another set of bead locks for the dirt but I'm undecided on tires; Trenchers or Badlands?
    I prefer badlands for their superior off- road grip, but I don't run them on-road. If you want one tire for on- and off-road, go trenchers. Or, the stock tires in the softer s1 compound work great too. They're around $40-50 online for a pre-mounted set of 4, and are awesome for bashing.

For me the best all terrain tire is the Proline Switch. Followed closely by the Kumho then the BF Goodrich in S1 compound. The Switch have a longer life than the Trenchers by leaps and bounds. I have done a lot of tire testing with the Slash 4x4
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    Nice! I have been looking at getting the Duratrax Bandito's for the street. I have the trenchers and I like they way they perform on the dirt. With the king headz motor mount and some fans you should be good to go. Watch useing that 3s. You had better have a few parts on hand..

RC Qualifier
    Enjoy your new ride Clint!!! The Slash is an AWESOME machine!!!! And the Bandito's are a great tire, you'll get alot of runtime on them before they go bald!!!!
    rc10T3, TT Sparrowhawk XXB, Slash 4x4, 1/16 Rally

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the feed back!
    So last night the neighbour and I were about to take our Slashes out when I quickly hit full reverse and managed to back off the slipper clutch nut. I wasn't discouraged though; knowing that all I had to do was take four screws out to fix it. I have a little 1/16 brushless E-REVO that I've sunk over a grand into and it's just not as easy to work on, I can see myself getting quite attached to this Slash.

Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Bigger bearing and longjevity
    And its sick for dissipating heat as well as not needing as much maintenace and stop a bit of side flex to the chassis dude ....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    You can get buy with stock motor mount while taking care of your bearing. The aluminum shock caps and tini shafts are a must upgrade for the price.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Racer
    +1 on motor mount. I've had and seen plastic ones just melted around the bearing.
    Slash Ultimate
    TLR SCTE 2.0

RC Qualifier
    I did buy and install the aluminum spacer and the bearing; it will have to do for now until I buy the new motor mount.
    And Outer wears is now on my list; I filled it with mud last night; not fun to clean.

RC Champion
    Running in mud is a lot of fun.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Clint, where did you purchase wheels and tires?

Thanks,

Bill

RC Qualifier
    My local hobby store had them here in Saskatoon.
    Hobby World.

RC Qualifier
    Mud is fun till it's time to clean!!! An air compressor comes in VERY handy!!!! uscg hit ebay or tower hobbies if ya can't find them locally....
    rc10T3, TT Sparrowhawk XXB, Slash 4x4, 1/16 Rally

RC Racer
    Ah! Yes. Now I remember. I'll add it (King Headz mount) to the list. Thanks.
    There is at least a couple of ebay sellers auctioning fake King Headz mounts so be careful there. I ended up with one of the fakes. I'd buy direct from King Headz next time.

RC Qualifier
    Added stampede lights (just drilled holes into the stock bumper and used screws to fasten them on) and sway bars.
    I went with the silver ones to start with; so far I really like them.
    The light idea I got from a friend that has them installed the same way; they have taken a dirty beating and have had zero problems with them.

Sorry for the iPhone pics.

Took it to the school yard to play with while I waited for our daughter to finish school; it was being chased all over by a pack of kids; I came flying over a small hill and found a tree. POW!! snapped an a arm. Good thing I ordered a full set on blue RPM units last night

I like the BF Goodrich tires better in the grass as well.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-09-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Messed up the front shock tower so I bought the front and rear Traxxas aluminum units and the Traxxas ESC fan, the ESC was ten degrees cooler than the motor this evening; usually they are close to the same temp.
    I need to stop this thing from flipping over, with the tires being so grippy; I'll need to soften up the springs me thinks.

RC Qualifier
    Snapped another a arm; so I bought a set of RPM units.

I softened up the suspension; but it still has a tendency to flip over; I'm going to buy a set of Trenchers I think, I'd like it to drift a bit more on the hard surfaces.

RC Qualifier
    The motor mount bearing felt pretty gravely so I bought the big bearing motor mount, picked up the RPM front bumper and lights, and installed a set of aluminum shock caps.

Picked up a pair of Badlands too; just waiting on another set to arrive at the shop.

RC Champion
    You're truck is coming along great! Love the look of the banditos on the pl beadlocks!
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Where do you run your Slash in Saskatoon?
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks!

For now just around our neighborhood on the far west side in Parkridge.
    I plan to hit up the track at some point. I'd like to find a good dirt spot to bash around; there are a few of us that take the cars out once a week.

I still need to figure out this suspension; It loves to flip onto its roof.
    I'm going to pick up a new set of springs front and rear next week; going to do some research this weekend.
    Last edited by Clint Cart; 06-20-2013 at 10:42 PM.

RC Champion
    I don't know if you would go this far, but on the east side there is a BMX track. It's at Lakewood Civic Center off McKercher Drive, between 8th Street and Taylor.
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 06-21-2013 at 05:31 PM.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Qualifier
    I've heard that; we will most define tilt check it out, hopefully soon.
    Thanks.

*most definitely*
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-09-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Very nice! I have the same renegade wheels on my slash 4x4. I have Badlands tires and they are absolutely unbelievable. They crawl up ANYTHING! I highly recommend the badlands for bashing (I'm a basher).
    Good luck!

RC Qualifier
    New Baja Bug body.

It's much bigger brother.

Awesome job it looks sick dude now go give it a heavy bashing......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Installed a new Traxxas spur gear and ST Racing steering bell crank kit after I wrecked both of them in the mud yesterday.

Picked up some aluminum wheel hexes too after a friend of mine destroyed his.

RC Champion
    Nice looking build Clint! Nice aluminum parts.

I have the RPM mud flaps, light bar and tail lights coming as well. We'll have to go run out at the BMX track one day with my friend Kris with his Slash. We can also take turns and abuse his Summit

RC Qualifier
    Sounds good!

RC Champion
    Looks good! Good upgrades so far.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    Well I had it out in the dirt the other day and it quit on me, the ESC led was flashing slow and the receiver light was flashing fast, then they both quit and wouldn't respond. Turns out the BEC cooked, why? Because I got loctite on the shoulder part of the shoulder bolts in the new aluminum steering bel crank I installed and that caused the steering to be VERY stiff, causing the steering servo to work itself to death, then the TQi receiver for some reason buggered up and now it has to be paired with the transmitter every time I turn it on.
    So; I bought a new Traxxas servo (because they didn't have the hitec unit I wanted) and a new Castle Sidewinder 3 ESC, I'm getting warranty on the VXL3s ESC through the store as soon as they come in. I'll be picking up a new TQi receiver next week, at least it works for now.
    On the up side I'm going to a Castle motor soon.