Thread: Grub Screw

RC Racer

Grub Screw

My Grub Screw on my pinion gear wont come off. It is super tight and a bit stripped from the factory. How should I get it off without stripping it more?
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Try some penetrating oil or heating it. If that doesn't loosen it up, take a dremel and cut a slot for a flatblade screwdriver in the grub screw (pinion will likely be ruined)
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Racer
    so like some wd-40 or something? how could i heat it without melting the plastic around it?
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    You don't have to heat it up a lot to get it off. I would use a heat gun and keep trying every 10-15 seconds or so. If not, use a hack saw and cut it. I used that on my Velineon motor (to rebuild it) and it worked like a charm.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Do you have a good tool to use? It's important to have the right size tool that's in good condition so it won't strip it more than it is already. I like Dynamite tools with red aluminum handles.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    You don't have to heat it up a lot to get it off. I would use a heat gun and keep trying every 10-15 seconds or so.
    Can I use my moms hair dryer lol?
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    Probably, but make sure it's on high lol!
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Do you have a good tool to use? It's important to have the right size tool that's in good condition so it won't strip it more than it is already. I like Dynamite tools with red aluminum handles.
    OG is right. Having lousy tools is a big cause of stripped screws. I have the same set he's talking about and they're great. The shafts are replaceable. I tried two other cheaper sets of tools first.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

No promise's,but sometimes you can get a 1/16" to fit if the hole isn't striped to bad.
    That with the idea's above might work(50/50 chance at best).
    But it might be worth a try before you have to resort to the cutting method.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Im going to try the heat method when I get home. I just use the included tools now but im getting better ones soon.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Qualifier
    The 1.5mm wrench Traxxas gives you isn't that good to be honest, I found myself using the shorter end of it (to get more leverage). I would try some Torx (star head) drivers. They work with hex nuts with no modifications.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    If you have a small set of easy outs or grip itz, you can remove just about any type screw head that is stripped. I have purchased these sets from Sears and Home Depot.

And as stated by others, good quality tools are a must when working on these small screws that require good solid tightening.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Seeing most pinion gears grub screws uses a 1/16" and not 1.5mm makes a difference. So for future reference get a 1/16 for just the pinion and you'll never have the head strip again. For tools I love my losi team driver set and the assoicated 8in1 kit(very strong tips btw). Now, if the thread lock is causing issues just place the tip of the soldering iron on the grub screw and will loosen up the thread lock in no time.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC poster
    I'll secong notion the 1/16" fits great. A ti nitrate such as integy won't strip it or tool.

If nothing works, use a dremal! Works for me...

Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    I ened up using a quality 1/16 in hex and it came out no problem.
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Champion
    Well there ya go... the right quality tool gets the job done almost every time.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    I cant tell you the amount of times I have searched my allen key bin to find the perfect size for pinion grubs. So I finally painted that one green so I can tell it apart from the others . Also use some blue Loctite when putting it back in. I have had them back out before and destroy my spur.

Funny I never used locktite on the grub screw. Just a quality tool and just tighten down will suffice.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Enthusiast
    In my experiences, I have tightened down the grub screw fully on the flat side of the motor shaft and it backed out twice on me. Granted the pinion was aftermarket and the threads may have not been properly machined, I have had it happen. I have found that putting blue Loctite in the threads ensures it will stay on and will still be easy to take out if you want to run a different gearing setup. For me it is one of those "why not" type of things.