Pro2 Chassis Rebuild - The next Phase

Slow I have have been adding parts to my trusty Slash to make it handle better on the track, my goal is to race it locally and have a respectable showing.

So far I have added big-bore shocks, a ProTrak kit, and lipo power. The next phase, a new chassis:

[/URL]

After I get the suspension turned up I will put in a ROAR legal power plant and will be ready to go.

Along with being a build thread I'm going to post a review of this chassis for both the build and its performance.

Proline Pro-2 Chassis-
    Unboxing:
    - There is no box, everything comes in a bag. But, the parts are sorted out into bags. The chassis itself is a milled work of art.
    Instructions:
    - The instructions consist of one 8"x11" page with 5 steps Everything looks easy enough, but we'll see once the build starts.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

- The instructions consist of one 8"x11" page with 5 steps Everything looks easy enough, but we'll see once the build starts.
    The chassis is pretty straight forward,I am starting one my self since they are going to have a class just for that truck.
    Not a huge pro line fan,nor do I think their lcg is one I would have chose for the class they are starting.(quite pricey for a piece of aluminum)
    But It's a long story as to the way this dissension came about.
    Best of luck to you.
    I'm not starting a build thread but will follow yours as I did itsstock's.
    He ended up with a fine truck.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 05-07-2013 at 06:09 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Looks good so far, post plenty of detailed pics.

What powerplant are you going to go with?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Looks good so far, post plenty of detailed pics.

What powerplant are you going to go with?
    Don't know right now. I have just installed a Duratrax DE10 and LRP 12X 17.5T motor in my buggy (just got done soldering them up about 20 minutes ago), both are ROAR legal. I'm going to do some testing this weekend to see how I like the combo, if it works out I'll likely run this in my Slash as well.

After almost a month of online research and talking to friends that race and the 'experts' at the local track, most sources have said the same thing, get at least a mid-grade ESC, but get a really good motor.

Novak has some nice stuff.
    If you haven't looked already here's a nice one.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Fck-MgodpU4ADQ
    But the system you put in is probably fine.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 05-08-2013 at 06:58 AM.

RC Qualifier

I'm also in the PL buildup scene. So far so good

This phase of the build is complete!

Everything went together pretty well (once I found all of the bags of parts that I dumped out on my computer desk). There were a couple of small issues, but nothing major.

I tore down my Slash from its stock chassis and layed out all of the parts:

Here is what I ended up with:

Here are all of the parts I have left over:

...and with the body on:

Issues with the build:
    1. Steering:
    - There isn't really good instructions on how to put the steering back together. When reinstalling the PL steering kit, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to put the spacers in that I used with the stock chassis (the spacers that go on the bottom of the bellcranks). I went ahead and installed them, the steering seems to be fine.
    - This install flips the servo, so I had to reverse the channel on my radio and recenter the servo arm. Also, the instructions say to make the servo link 50.8mm, this, along with the optional spacer made the arm too long and limited turning to the left. I shortened the servo arm to 49mm and removed the spacer and the steering is now dead on.
    - Getting the 5mm nuts installed that connect up the steering to the wheels is a major bear with the tools I had, the front shock tower and body mount is in the way. To not get frustrated with it I recommend a long 5mm nut-driver, I don't have one of those, so I used the itty-bitty 5mm wrench that came with one of my Traxxas RCs, it worked, but it could have been easier and taken about 10 seconds vs the 10 minutes it took me.

Overall Review of the Build:
    It is a very good kit, everything went together with little drama. I just put about 1/4 of a pack through it and it handles A LOT differently, most of the body roll is gone and it seems like it is a lot more planted. Tomorrow I'm going to the track to see how it handles there. It is a great kit for someone that is experienced with hobby-grade RCs and really knows their way around a Slash, but it might be a little frustrating for a noob without someone there to provide guidance.

Things I like:
    - PL Includes a lot of hardware, everything you need to covert from a stock Slash is in the bag (once you have found all of the bags you have dumped out).
    - The aluminum chassis plate is very stout, has a nice finish and the mill work is really good.
    - Fit and finish on all of the parts is good.

Things to improve:
    Instructions:
    - What comes with the truck is bearly adiquate. From the pictures and the screws listed on the left you get the idea of how it is supposed to go together.
    - There are a number of options and optional parts. It would be nice if they were expained a little better, and where listed as optional for the screw-list on the left.
    - If nothing else, it would be nice if PL put a build video up.
    - It would be nice to include a tear-down sheet for the stock Slash so you know how far to take it part. Reading through the instructions a time or three I saw what I needed to do, but someone who isn't familiar with this truck might have issues.
    Hardware:
    - The only problem I have with the hardware that they have included are the 2.5mm screws, they have really tight threads that are easy to strip if you are not careful.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 05-11-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Your rig looks very nice.
    Good build. I started one from scratch,didn't use an existing slash,so it's taking a bit longer.
    Nice job,hope you do good at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Your rig looks very nice.
    Good build. I started one from scratch,didn't use an existing slash,so it's taking a bit longer.
    Nice job,hope you do good at the track.
    Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing what it can do.

The next two things on my list for this truck are shocks, then a new power plant.

Went to the local indoor track today for some testing and it was a rain-out... They put too much water on the track this morning turning the whole thing into mush, with our weather turning rainy the next couple of days it will likely take a day or so for the track to be drivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Went to the local indoor track today for some testing and it was a rain-out... They put too much water on the track this morning turning the whole thing into mush, with our weather turning rainy the next couple of days it will likely take a day or so for the track to be drivable.
    What a bummer.
    I really hate that,you charge up some cell's,you count lap's in your head to get to sleep,and wake up to the sound of rain drops.
    It must be worse when it's not raining and they over water the track.
    That's when you wish you had your good old water proof slash back.
    Sometimes these high-breads have their down falls.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 05-13-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Finally got some track time!!!

Overall I really like the new chassis, very stable and responsive on the track, worlds better handling over the stock chassis!!! Two things I REALLY need to get are new shocks and tires.

The stock Ultras really try, but there is just so much tuning you can do with them, and I have one that insists on leaking. I have a set of big bores on my 4x4 I'll move over.

The tires I have are not made for damp clay tracks, they hook up ok, but the lugs on the tread are so high they want to roll the tire sideways, especially on the rears. The tire of choice at this track are JConcepts Barcodes, so when my RC budget allows I'll mount up a set of these.

RC Champion
    how do you like the chassis? was it pretty easy going together?

im thinking of doing this to my chasss.its more of a basher.
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

How do the like the duratrax DE10 Esc?
    Powered by Tekin. Go Tekin or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by TMaxxcrazy33 View Post

The only two things I can say negatively about this chassis are the cost, there are cheaper LCG chassis. And, it is a major pain to get the 5mm screws back in (see above). Other than those to things, I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TMaxxcrazy33 View Post

This ESC is supper smooth, nice throttle response and VERY easy to program.

Duratrax always had excellent Esc for the price. I might consider this. Been considering but never seen anyone run or review it.