RC poster

What's the best setup for jumping with the summit

I setup a track in my back yard with some pretty steep jumps, probably reaching 10 feet at the most with the summit and I just don't like the way it lands...can anyone tell me how to and what to do to set the car up for big jumps while still maintaining some handling

RC Champion
    Hoped to have seen responses on this...mine doesn't handle well either.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    You can change springs, if I remember there is one or two stiffer springs. You can add heavier oil in the shocks, they should have came with 60wt oil in them. There are after market shocks, and springs also. I went to 80wt oil all around on mine, with preload collars about half way down, still running stock springs. I jump mine, just not 10 feet, I maybe get 5 or 6 feet. I did notice that mine were only about half full of oil out of the box. I just have a habit of checking all shocks when a new rc.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Champion
    I changed the springs. Still trying to figure out the preload. I used 70wt oil but they still leak. Did you notice less with 80wt?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Mine luckily did not leak. I did however use thread tape on the caps, I do that on all shocks. What springs did you go to? I went and looked on the parts list. It says the summit comes with blue springs, and the purple ones are the only ones stiffer. I know some guys are running tan or black in the front. I would think that might be a little soft. You just have to play around with springs, preload, and oil weights.
    Last edited by westoakmech; 05-10-2013 at 09:48 AM.

RC Champion
    I put the purples on there...3.2 rate if I remember right.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Your oil weight will give your damping, and your springs will give you your rebound. If you have added heavier parts, then that will throw everthing off. I also looked for pistons with different number of holes, but they only showed two hole pistons. Are you bottoming out on large jumps? I also put bearings in all of my rockers, that seemed to help some, it took alot of the slop out. So now there is less wasted movement by the push rods.

RC Racer
    I heard blacks and yellows work well

RC poster
    Where do I get the bearings for the rocker arms...would the purple springs make it too bouncy?

RC Racer
    The oil thickness will decide how much damping an how fast the rebound will happen. Your sprngs will return the truck back to the ride height, the piston still has to cycle back through the oil so if you have light oil and heavy springs you may bounce but will return to ride height faster

To heavy an oil and to small piston holes the shock will hydro lock and blow seals
    Dont really think to much into the springs doing all the rebound work... how do you lower a real car??? Cut a few coils off the spring...

Do a search for rc shock set up the spring works hand and hand and the combinations are vast. For high junps id go for big bore shocks if you find the truck is not raising back up fast enough try a heavier spring or lighter oil or biger piston holes lol see it gets to b one big circle of fun

Watch torco off roading trucks the real and see how they respond to jumps. Ps the real shocks can b adjusted with a lighter rebound stroke through diferent chambers we dont have that advantage in small rc stuff.
    Last edited by yellowufo; 05-15-2013 at 02:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You can get the bearings at almost any hobbie shop. They are part# 5114, 4x7x2.5mm.

RC Champion
    I would recommend the progressive rate travel rockers to help with jumping.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.