Thread: nitro

RC poster

nitro

i'm am in Miami and i do not race i just take it to the park and yea prob race ppl but i just want to know what percent should i use?

RC Qualifier
    20% is probably your best bet.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    I use 30% but the tune is the most important aspect for power. A finely tuned Jato running on 20% will smoke a Jato with a poor to fair tune running on 30% all day long.

RC Enthusiast
    Higher nitro = cooler temps.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by iwaslikedagum View Post
    Higher nitro = cooler temps.
    WHAT??? Really???

With all due respect, u might want to pray to the nitro gods before u post misleading information.

Don't be embarrassed. Thier are even moderators on this site that believe the same info you posted.

Nitromethane is a creature within itself that must be carefully dissected to understand how and what it delivers within a two stroke internal combustion engine under glow ignition.

20% nitro should yield a very good combination of fun/ power for any traxxas product housing a 3.3 engine with a proper tune. Especially at that elevation.
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bswift View Post

20% nitro should yield a very good combination of fun/ power for any traxxas product housing a 3.3 engine with a proper tune. Especially at that elevation.
    I couldn't agree more. More nitro=more power=more heat. If your running cooler with a higher % then you're too rich and wasting your money buying the higher % nitro. I run 20% and at the track everyone is always amazed how fast my Jato is. Yesterday when I went, there was two guys running 1/8 scale buggy's. When I pulled my Jato out they laughed at me, until I started out running them down the straight. Then they were curious and full of questions, but all I would say to them was "Traxxas, the fastest name in radio control."

Quote Originally Posted by bswift View Post
    WHAT??? Really???

With all due respect, u might want to pray to the nitro gods before u post misleading information.

Don't be embarrassed. Thier are even moderators on this site that believe the same info you posted.

Nitromethane is a creature within itself that must be carefully dissected to understand how and what it delivers within a two stroke internal combustion engine under glow ignition.

Some truth to both sides. Nitromethane has a cooling effect as it evaporates so theoretically the more nitro the greater the cooling. A good read from Byron Fuels:
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron
    Nitromethane represents a nearly perfect fuel that brings its own oxygen into the combustion process. While there are many theories on some of the effects nitromethane has on temperature and performance, none applies across the board in all applications and with all types and sizes of engines. The nitromethane percentage you need depends a lot on how your engine was designed and the engine manufacturers’ recommendations should always be considered one of your top recommendations.
    Some modelers are under the impression that nitromethane contributes to a higher combustion temperature which is not always true. Depending upon how your engine is set up, higher nitro can actually turn down the heat in certain situations. If you experience predetonation, then it is recommended you go to a lower nitromethane level. Too high a nitro content can cause pitting of the top of the piston and the inside of the glow plug dome. If you run high nitro, you should disassemble your engine occasionally and check it for pitting. If you choose to run a higher nitro than normal, you may need to shim the glow plug head to compensate.
    Increasing nitromethane does not always assure higher performance. Due to the cost factor, if you are a sport modeler, run the lowest nitromethane you can as long as your engine is starting well in cold weather and performance is smooth and responsive.
    Even though you may select a higher oil content for engine break-in, you should always break your engine in on the same nitromethane percentage that you plan to run after break-in.
    I've personally used 20% and 30% fuels and like the 20% better in my 3.3. Just ran out of Byron and the LHS had O'Donnell (said he wasn't going to make a fuel order for a month) so I'll give that a try. In the end it comes to a good tune (and care) to get the best life out of your engine.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball
    I couldn't agree more. More nitro=more power=more heat. If your running cooler with a higher % then you're too rich and wasting your money buying the higher % nitro. I run 20% and at the track everyone is always amazed how fast my Jato is. Yesterday when I went, there was two guys running 1/8 scale buggy's. When I pulled my Jato out they laughed at me, until I started out running them down the straight. Then they were curious and full of questions, but all I would say to them was "Traxxas, the fastest name in radio control."
    The higher % of Nitro the lower the flash point/burns at a cooler temp....

With this in mind the most common mistake people make is leaning up the engine too much with the higher % of nitro due to the cooler temps... The same engine running 20% will run cooler with 30%, but you still need lubrication.. so your temps with 30% under the same conditions should be a bit lower than what you were running with 20%.. Tune has a LOT to do with this statement!!!

It's no problem using 30% and you keep your tune right... It will give you a bit more power...

Also, with higher nitro % the tuning window becomes smaller so you should tune in smaller increments of changes with your needles as you use higher nitro %..

With 30% your fine... I live in SoFla and have been racing RC's since 2005... No problems.. I have also helped out a few of our servicemen over in the giant sandbox with their tuning and they run in 110 degree weather no problem... I do have my tuning skills down pretty good as well.
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 05-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    LOL Nobody gets it but thats ok. I have been doing this since the 80's. For one we are not running 100% nitro we run 20% 30% so what is the rest? It's Alcohol. It's the alcohol that gives the cooling efect as it evaporates. It is a volume deal to run more nitro content we need to run more volume of fuel threw the motor to make more power this is were people get confused because it is a comon sense thinking, your running more volume of fuel threw the motor so comon sense say hey that runs cooler, BUT the more nitro content gives off more BTU's wich is more heat. Heat equal HP and torque. It is the amount of energy released. Why does top fuel motors make more HP and torque then a blown Alcohol motor. Why? because top fuel motor gives off more BTU's the high nitro content gives off more engery. more energy = more heat = more BTU's. LOL just watch a alcohol dragster or funny car. after a run there is ice on the blower and manifold. Watch a top fuel run. After a run there insane hot, crazy hot.
    Last edited by slayer17; 05-17-2013 at 08:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer17 View Post
    LOL Nobody gets it but thats ok. I have been doing this since the 80's. For one we are not running 100% nitro we run 20% 30% so what is the rest? It's Alcohol. It's the alcohol that gives the cooling efect as it evaporates. It is a volume deal to run more nitro content we need to run more volume of fuel threw the motor to make more power this is were people get confused because it is a comon sense thinking, your running more volume of fuel threw the motor so comon sense say hey that runs cooler, BUT the more nitro content gives off more BTU's wich is more heat. Heat equal HP and torque. It is the amount of energy released. Why does top fuel motors make more HP and torque then a blown Alcohol motor. Why? because top fuel motor gives off more BTU's the high nitro content gives off more engery. more energy = more heat = more BTU's. LOL just watch a alcohol dragster or funny car. after a run there is ice on the blower and manifold. Watch a top fuel run. After a run there insane hot, crazy hot.
    Straight up, you got it. E=mc2. Energy is heat...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyv305 View Post
    i'm am in Miami and i do not race i just take it to the park and yea prob race ppl but i just want to know what percent should i use?
    My honest opinion....just run 30% for everyday bashing in FL.

RC Competitor
    Bump that. Run 20% or even 10% for every day bashing. Either one is cheaper and it won't make a huge difference to the everyday basher, trust me.

RC poster
    i have a question for yall. This question is better asked in a different posting, let's stick to the subject matter.
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 06-19-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: hijacking thread

RC Competitor
    ???? I'm trying to figure out this also should be in a different thread NN
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 06-19-2013 at 01:43 PM.