Thread: Velineon system

RC Enthusiast

Velineon system

Hey guys, i gota question or two about the Traxxas 3370 Velineon VXL-3m Brushless Power System for 1/16 scaled cars, i have an e revo brushed at the moment and im gonna get this system soon and im wondering if ill need anything besides the system for it to drop in an run. like a new body mount or anything else? Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    motor mount not body mount, sorry

RC Racer
    Do you have the Titan 550?
    If so you will need the different motor plate and mount.
    I have a brushed slash with the Titan 550 and XL 2.5.
    Of course I wanted to upgrade so instead of spending around $100 for just the brushless setup I bought a complete RTR brushless rally for $155. Now I have two cars and I you think about it one only cost $55 bucks!

RC Champion
    That's pretty much it.
    What pinion/spur are you running now?
    Stock on a brushless Merv is 28/50 and it includes a 23T pinion for running series nimh batteries.

Another option would be to go with a BB setup...then you can retain the motor mount you have.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Enthusiast
    yes i have the titan 550 motor in it and i have the stock pinion/spur gears, pretty much everything is stock except the steering servo.

RC Racer
    Yes like he mentioned you will want the gears that are supposed to come with the VXL system. If didn't find a used VXL I was going to buy a roller and make a new car out of the old brushed setup. You cant have just one car.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthughes View Post
    yes i have the titan 550 motor in it and i have the stock pinion/spur gears, pretty much everything is stock except the steering servo.
    If you have the cash, go with the Castle Sidewinder Sv3 with a 550 sized 4pole brushless motor.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    If you have the cash, go with the Castle Sidewinder Sv3 with a 550 sized 4pole brushless motor.
    Im with this guy, give the velineon a week or 2 and you might be considering upgrading anyways

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    The sidewinder 3 ESC is less expensive and can be hooked up with the Velineon motor. So I'd go with that.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Competitor
    And its tuneable...

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Yeah, so you can get the castle link card and tune it.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Qualifier
    So, Sv3 is the best choice. And you can upgrade to higher Kv motors than the VXL 3m can do.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    So, Sv3 is the best choice. And you can upgrade to higher Kv motors than the VXL 3m can do.
    Best economical choice "best" is relative speaking. The SV3 can handle big or small block on 3s. A 1/10 ESC on 3s is probably the Best set up for a MERV for that high speed stuff, and 2s for bashing. There are many you can get with various features and price tags, the best one out there is probably going to depend on who you ask.

Then some folks like to go nuts and run high kv low turn count BB motors or even 4s, this the SV3 cant handle, so a 1/10 system for 6s or specifically for high kv low turn count motors needs to be used, again the best one will depend on who you ask.

If you want to have a great fast RC that will last, a 1/10 ESC with a Small Block motor is the way to go IMHO