RC Racer

Good Tire replacement?

So I've had my truck for about a month or two now and I have a few questions about wheels and tires.

1. What hex pattern is the stock 3903?
    2. Can I change it and is it recommended?
    3. Which companies are good for tires?
    4. Is it worth getting 2 sets, one for road and one for off road, or just get a "both" tire?
    5. Last one I swear, do the wheels matter for anything or just looks?

Thank you in advance! Sorry for the noob questions, I'm trying to learn as I go

RC Champion
    1: 14mm
    2: Heck ya, 17mm is well worth it, in fact, its hard to find 14mm wheels other than the stock ones and a few traxxas ones.
    3: Proline, Traxxas, HPI, IMEX, JP Concepts (not sure on that last one)
    4: really depends. I have 3 sets, all of which need work now, HPI Phaltilines for street, stockers, and Proline Paddles, for snow and sand. If you are gonna be doing alot on on road stuff, ull bennifit from the low sidewalls, but some all-terain tires do great on road too.
    5: Most wheels are wheels, as long as you have the right bead pattern for ur tires. Be ware that chrome wheels will chip, vs matte and solid color wheels wont, My favorite rims are Proline Desparado Black, the chrome and Black chrome ones have been known to chip and wear off quickly, but the black stays forever, and I think the truck looks sick with em. some wheels are stronger than others, but unless ur gonna be pushing 50+, they arnt a big deal.

However, be ware that some wheels are beadlocks, which have a ring around them that locks the tire on insted of gluing. Summit wheels are fake beadlocks, aka, they look like beadlocks, but accually require gluing.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Champion
    I have a slightly different view on the wheels. My experience with stock wheels is that I found them thin and somewhat warped. My HPI Warlock wheels are much tougher and seem better suited for bashing.

Don't forget about RPM wheels.

Pro line Trenchers!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Heck ya, 17mm is well worth it, in fact, its hard to find 14mm wheels other than the stock ones and a few traxxas ones.
    In order to change, do I just need to get new wheels with the different hex pattern or do I need to change something on the axles as well?

Also in regards to the actual size of the wheel, is that personal preference or is there a max/min for the truck? (I'm talking about like 2.5" vs 3.5")
    Last edited by Skink910; 05-06-2013 at 08:56 PM.

RC Champion
    You have to get a set of 17mm hex adapters. There are a lot of brands to choose from and plenty of mods to make things mesh right. Traxxas adapters leave a good amount of play or "slop". HPI adapters work well. I think several guys use an adapter called Maximizer with good results.

Yes there is a minimum size wheel that will fit over the axle carrier. Currently I think the two sizes you have to choose from is 3.2 as the smallest and 3.8 (AKA 40 series) as the largest.

RC Racer
    Okay thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    I did the 17mm traxxas hex upgrade and the Pro-Line Badlands with Desperado 1/2" offset wheels. Great combo for all kinds of driving, even sand.

RC Champion
    All proline tires have good reps. Looking at trencher Xs for my next ones when the stockers compleatly die on me.

RC Champion
    i run proline badlands, hpi phaltlines, and my favorite are actually the nitro 3.3 revo wheels. pictured below

example of 17mm hex you would need. i like green. and have them already.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/350764984277...84.m1423.l2648
    Last edited by ajcar; 05-08-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Racer
    example of 17mm hex you would need. i like green. and have them already.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/350764984277...84.m1423.l2648
    Thanks man! I saw above that the traxxas ones have a lot of play, have you experienced the same thing with these?

RC Champion
    All the Traxxas ones kinda do. I use MAximizer ones, can get em off ebay for $4.99. They are nylon, and replacing the plastic washer with steel ones from ACE Hardware, and you have very cheap, but very stable hexs. So far, ive got pleanty of run time on mine and theyre holdin up great.

Ya, the Revo wheels are nice too.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Skink910 View Post
    Thanks man! I saw above that the traxxas ones have a lot of play, have you experienced the same thing with these?
    yes, a bit of play. im use to it by now, lol
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.