RC poster

Question help me beat the rc10"s

im running a slash 2wd vxl with the velineon brushless system. im also running 2.2 rims and tires(slicks). on a paved oval (short). also a 2cell 50c lipo pack and i cant keep the motor cool. what gearing should i run? currently pinion is 23t and spur is 76t. thanx twisted

It wont help cool the motor,but 2.2/3.0 rims might help it handle better.
    If you don't need that much top speed,go with a 86(stock vxl) spur,and the 23 pinion.
    Yesterday I dropped to 20/86 on a tight sct,and kept the temps in the 150's(degrees).
    If you have long straight's,you might want to look it a castle or any brand 4 pole brush less.
    They tend to run cooler.
    But the velineon is a nice set up as well. I have castles but we have been running the velineons to get my grandson into a faster truck.
    What are you running for temps? And what time lengths are the races?
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Check out chuckworks rc. They have a mid motor lcg chassis that will really help corner speed on a tight high traction oval. It got me the track lap record for an sct.

How hot is the motor running? What actual temps are you getting at the end of the race?
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC poster
    bout 200 the hottest. when i was testing bout 15 min of hard running

ive done alot to this truck protrac suspension kit, strc lcg kit, aluminum shocks. 2.2 tires to get it to handle right and not roll over now its running hot any ideas?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-06-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: merge

That 1 time(or more?) that you overheated it caused some damage. Now it will overheat even faster. Not sure why it got so hot in the first place on 2s though??? If you got it to 200, you will prob need a new motor. Never let them top 180...
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

Quote Originally Posted by twisted71d View Post
    im running a slash 2wd vxl with the velineon brushless system. im also running 2.2 rims and tires(slicks). on a paved oval (short). also a 2cell 50c lipo pack and i cant keep the motor cool. what gearing should i run? currently pinion is 23t and spur is 76t. thanx twisted
    23/76 is way too high for a Slash on 2S. The 76-tooth spur was intended for the Bandit, which has a much smaller wheel diameter. Try an 83 or 86 spur with the same pinion. It will probably accelerate faster and have more top speed too with lower temps because your current gearing is way too high.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the 86t spur.

I also run a STRC LCG Slash 2wd i dont race circle track but i do race short course. When i ran the VXL set and on my current Hobbywing set up i run the 86t spur and 20t spur 2s 5000mah 35c-70c lipo and can keep up with the factory trucks no problem. On the VXL it was rare to see temps at 125 and on my Hobbywing even after a 8 min main consistent 115 degrees. You can also put some cooling fins(heat sink) on the motor and if you need more add a fan. Also a aluminum motor mounting plate will help with temps.

Honestly though it sounds like a simple gearing change is gonna fix most of your problems. Good Luck
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC poster
    thanx guys im gunna play with gearing and go from there

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted71d View Post
    thanx guys im gunna play with gearing and go from there
    Good luck. Gear down, but you may really already have damaged the motor. If you decide to buy a new motor you could get a Castle SV3 ESC/motor combo with 4600kv 4-pole motor and have more torque and more top end than you currently have.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

What systems are the others running? Believe or not a less powerful system can actually make you faster bc of the control. If these sc10 are running Tekins and LRPs just to name a few those timing boost sensored will blow the doors off the vxl. Also when you remove the motor just spin the drivetrain to make sure there isnt any binding.