Thread: idle??

RC Champion

idle??

been reading the mods "newbie to nitro" instructions and it says set the idle and so far I haven't even touched the idle

right now I finally got the smoke at full throttle but only for like 4 seconds then it disappears. still getting an hot engine tho after about 5-10 minutes.

my question is what does "set the idle" mean? how does that correspond with the speed needles?

Set the idle means to adjust the idle speed, and the idle fuel mixture.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

There is a separate needle that controls the idle RPM's. So long as it is not pulling your truck, nor is it dieing do you need to really touch it.

When tuning, make sure you start tuning when there is a half a tank of fuel. They tend to lean out a bit as the fuel empties. You want that smoke to stay there the whole time. Try richening the HSN a touch.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Qualifier

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Set the idle means to adjust the idle speed, and the idle fuel mixture.
    Idle fuel mixture? Sounds funny to hear it put that way here on the Traxxas site. They all call it the lsn. Though idle mixture is what I've always called it on every other carb I've ever adjusted. Because that's what it does. If it's too lean, the engine will idle too high and get hot. And if it's too rich, the engine won't want to idle or get warm enough. After you get the idle mixture just right, then you adjust the slide stop (idle speed) screw to be where you like it. With no oil pump it really doesn't matter as carraig042 said, as long as it doesn't die or take off it's fine. I like mine A little on the low side, it seems to help the rpm's fall faster when I let off from full throttle. And it sounds cooler, Aaaaa.

RC Champion
    thanks for all the info guys. this really helped. hard to get nitro newbie info nowadays. my lhs is too far away