RC poster

Grinding from Spur gear/slipper clutch

I took my MERV apart to clean it and do some needed maintenance. I took the transmission out, and took it apart, but didn't need to do anything to it. I put it back together and now there is a grinding noise coming from the area of the spur gear and slipper clutch. I have messed with the tenson of the slipper clutch, to no avail. The slipper clutch pad seems fine too. And please, do not say it is a differential. I have heard that before and this is not the same. This grinding noise is present even if I just push my care with no power. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this noise go away, I would appreciate it. I have searched on-line and noone seems to say anything about it.

RC Racer
    Maybe there is a rock dislodged somewhere by center driveline? Take apart the skid covers to check.

Maybe a screw of one of the center shafts came loose.
    What happened to me once is a screw of the mounting plate rubbed against the slipper.
    Another thing to check is the gear mesh.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    Take it apart again, inspecting for an assembly error, rebuild even if you find nothing, see if it persist.

RC Qualifier
    If I tighten my trans case real tight it kind of grinds, and if I don't it don't. So I don't and it don't. ha ha

RC poster
    Thanks, I will have to take it apart. I find I tend to over tighten things, so that could be the case.

RC Racer
    I dont think over tightening it could be an issue, but keep us posted on what you find

RC poster
    Hey guys,
    im new to the forum and RC.

I ended up stripped my rear differential so took it apart and I rebuild both front and rear differneianls (inner gears and outer spur and pinion) and shimmed them both with two team associated shims.

I made sure there was nothing binding before i put everything back together. (Both differs were much tighter in the bulkheads but nothing was binding and also the center transmission spun/felt fine)

But when i put everything back together and meshed the gears, I spin the spur with my finger , it felt/sounded fine until you reached a specific spot every time around. When i pull the throttle in slightly you can clearly hear the binding in that spot.

It doesn't sound like its coming from either of the diffs, but it seems to be "catching" once every time around.

Im not sure what to do.... transmission? slipper clutch?

Any suggestion or comment would be appreciated.

RC Champion
    If you over tighten one screw on the back it will hit the differential and make a grinding noise.

@Space time
    There could be a small rock in the spur. I have had the same issue and taking a hobby knife to each tooth on the spur fixed it. I just ignore it now though unless it is really bad.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SiNFULREVO View Post
    Take it apart again, inspecting for an assembly error, rebuild even if you find nothing, see if it persist.
    It could also be sand/dust in the bearings - check if the spin smoothly