Threaded View

RC Enthusiast

fairly new 8 cell, but I think it's trashed.

Hi everyone, this is my first post, and I'm just trying to figure out why my 4 week old battery is already trashed (or at least I think it is).

We run a Rustler VXL, and last month I ordered an 8 cell, 9.6V 5000mah battery. I've been charging it with a Duratrax fast charger which attaches to a car battery, and then charges the 8 cell. The charger is rated at 4.0 amps.

I think I've read that using a fast charger on your RC car battery will kill it faster than using a slow charger, but I thought the 4 amp charger with the 5000 mah battery would be just fine. At least that's how the instructions that came with the charger made it sound.

Everything was great for about 50 charges and runs over the last 4 weeks, but now the battery is clearly very weak compared to how it was when it was new.

Have I been abusing my battery by using the fast charger, even though it's 5000mah? Does it even matter what the mah number is when using a fast vs. a slow charger?

Any other words of wisdom, other than "go lipo"? (I'm probably going to do that anyway).

Thanks.
    Last edited by staledog; 05-04-2013 at 05:49 PM.