RC Qualifier

Upgrade to boca bearings?

i have seen on a site or 2 that the strut housing has boca bearings in it.what do you guys think?ahould i do the upgrade or just leave it alone since the are pretty cheap to buy.i am not having any issues yet just like to stay on top of stuff and make it better and last longer if possible.also on the bearing note,should i upgrade the bearings or bushings in the motor to,to the good boca bearings?

RC Racer
    I have Boca Bearings installed in my Leopard 4082 1600kv - Ceramic Hybrid bearings (Orange Seal), and the same bearings in my TRA5727X (this is the optional Traxxas Spartan Strut that comes with blue sealed SS, bearings - replaced them with Boca's Ceramic Hybrid (Orange seal) bearings. Total cost was not cheap, but i run in salt water, and metal bearing just weren't going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by hopduperevo View Post
    i have seen on a site or 2 that the strut housing has boca bearings in it.what do you guys think?ahould i do the upgrade or just leave it alone since the are pretty cheap to buy.i am not having any issues yet just like to stay on top of stuff and make it better and last longer if possible.also on the bearing note,should i upgrade the bearings or bushings in the motor to,to the good boca bearings?

RC Qualifier
    hey man thanks a lot for your help

RC Qualifier
    hey bud how long have you run in salt water?i called traxxas today to find out the size of the bearings in the 540xl motor and what size bearing is in the strut so i could oreder the bocas and they had no idea and also told me that if i ran it in salt water it would ruin my esc,motor and the bearings.i know i can put in the bocas and solve the bearing problem but what about the esc and motor?have you had any problems from running in salt water?

RC Qualifier
    I drove out the stock bushings and replaced them with both the steel then the ceramic Boca bearings in my struts and they all failed. I now run the traxxas strut with the larger bearings from Traxxas and have had no problems.

RC Champion
    hey bud how long have you run in salt water?i called traxxas today to find out the size of the bearings in the 540xl motor and what size bearing is in the strut so i could oreder the bocas and they had no idea and also told me that if i ran it in salt water it would ruin my esc,motor and the bearings.i know i can put in the bocas and solve the bearing problem but what about the esc and motor?have you had any problems from running in salt water?
    The only issue with running in salt water is the maintenance at the end of the day. I have run my boats in salt water for three years and as long as you flush with plenty of fresh water and use WD 40 or some other water repellent on the screws and bearings, you keep repairs way down.

I bring fresh water with me and flush the boats at the days end and follow up cleaning when I get home. A lot more cleaning is required when running in salt water.

I'm putting the specs together for you on the rescue boat and will PM ya when done.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    thank you both so much for your help.sorry for so many questions but if i dont know i'll ask.SJS are you talking about the traxxas part number 5727x? i ordered one off flebay last nite but i still would like to upgrade the bearings to ceramic and the ones in the motor too.i try to take very good care of my boat.after every time i take it out it comes home and comes apart and gets cleaned very well and oil the bearings in the motor and i clean the flex shaft and tube and regrease everything well.my only complaint is since i have a blue boat i need to get some blue marine grease lol. so orca44 how do you get the water to flush through the lines if it's not running in the water.i was thinking get a mouthful and force it threw lol do you have a better way?what about if there was a pool where i was gonna run it and i ran it in the pool?what would the chlorine cause now lol i figure something out but thanks again for both of your help

RC Champion
    I have a battery powered sprayer, (was designed to spray weed killer on lawns) bought it at Home Depot. The tip fits right inside the ends of the water tubing and I just pull the trigger and let her do it's flushing. I also run some compressed air through the water lines and then more fresh water. Real important to get all the salt water removed.

Before having the portable water pump I would fill a gallon jug (used milk container) full of water with a long piece of water line attached to the bottom of the jug and then to the water lines on the boat, elevate the jug about 3-4 feet above the boat for water pressure and let it go until the water was gone.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    thanks for your help once again.i'm going on the yearly company fishing trip in a couple months and a sub contractor is bringing his 2 smaller boats and wants to race them.so thanks to you i will take mine and a can of wd-40 and i have an adapter for the faucet that fills water balloons that will fit into the cooling hose and then just turn on the faucet or hose and let it run for a while.

RC Racer
    I have no problems running in salt water as long as i drench the boat with fresh water after each run. I will post pics of my motor with the new bearings as well as the strut with the new bearings. Doing a fresh build!

RC Champion
    So what size are the motor bearings?
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Racer
    Part # for Leopard Motor bearings is: SMR625C-2OS #7.
    Part # for TRA5727x bearings is: SMR115C-2OS #7.