RC Racer

Optimal running temp

So my stock vxl motor is running at about 140-170 and the esc is running about 130-145. Is this in the optimal range?
    Good, Fast, Cheap; You can only have two

RC Racer
    If ur hitting 170 ur close to redline. How long are u running? 3 cell or 2? What tires/rims? Do you have a heatsink on the motor installed? Air holes cut out in the body?

I run for about 5 to 6 mins and check temps if I am over 150 I let her cool off.
    Last edited by linux38; 04-29-2013 at 08:00 PM.

RC Racer
    No heat sink, summit tires, high speed pinion installed, no holes cut in body, I'm using the traxxas lipo batteries. I think 2 cell one at a time.
    Good, Fast, Cheap; You can only have two

RC Racer
    I would get a heatsink for the motor. If ur running 23tooth pinion and summit tires on 2 cell (which I run when I want to drive off-road and my temps are 140 to 150) I would cut a hole in the windshield and let her breath.

You are not doing that bad... 200F is tops... my target temp for most performance after a hard run is 180F.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Try dropping to a 21t pinion. That's what I run when using summit tires.

RC Racer
    I'm on that setup and running a hair hot. Would running at 23/55 help?

RC Champion
    Electric motors are more efficient at high outside temps. I would say don't go over 190 or so at the hottest. If it is getting hot though that means it is drawing more power and reducing run time. Check for binding or frozen bearings. Maybe your tires are too big and you need to gear down more. It could also be the way you drive.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    I was told that once a motor hits 200.... it's all bad and will continue heating up excessively for runs thereafter for life. Any truth to that?

Once the motor gets to 200F the magnets start to loose strength.
    I doubt it will continue to heat up excessively once the issue that caused the heat-up is corrected.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by b@3 View Post
    Try dropping to a 21t pinion. That's what I run when using summit tires.
    That's with the stock 50 tooth spur ?

RC Competitor
    170f is entering dangerous territory.

Consider the RC is being cooled with air flow even if minimal at times. The temp check if not done with telemetry or on board sensor, could be a few degreese cooler when you check then what the motor actually peaked at.

I add 5 degreese to max temp if I have to pull the RC in and remove the lid using a hand temp sensor. I see 170f as a potential 175f. Too much.

Then you need to consider the temp on the core of the motor can be up to 50 degrees F hotter then the temp reading we get aiming the sensor at the outer can.

Everywhere you ask you will get a different temp, BUT the general consensus if you add it all up is basically 180f to 200f is RED ZONE I believe those who think that 200f is okay are not considering the temp of the motors core.

I see 180f on the can as possible 230f on the core 220f on the core is when stuff starts overheating and getting damaged, so 170f is the top of the Limit in my opinion... Anything above and there is potential harm being done on the motor. I don't like to see anything above 165f on a hand held temp sensor.

While Ive not run those tires, they probably are causing you more trouble then they are worth. Or is the motor worth sacrificing to run them? The suggestion to adjust your gearing is on point and what you should do if running those tires is what you gotta do.

I run the 28t spur on 3s and get 140 to 145f on the ESC and 145 to 150f on the motor... I hit 150f on the esc and 170f on the motor when I did a few speed runs with a 31t pinion, and havnt ran that pinion since, and wont untill I get a better power system. Motor seems tough, but the ESC is not good for too much gearing (in any form) above stock.
    Last edited by SiNFULREVO; 05-04-2013 at 09:40 AM.