RC Enthusiast

New Summit Owner

Hi, I bit the bullet today and picked up a Summit. I was lucky and got the green body, too. It didnít come with LiPo, but I did pickup a couple 5000 mAh 2-cell LiPo batteries. I wasnít looking for speed just longer run time and I also have other LiPo batteries I use in my Slash and Stampede. So far I have used the Summit in my backyard climbing around and really like how it runs. Like I said I wanted it for crawling not for speed. I just didnít want a dedicated scale crawler and I think Traxxas hit the nail on the head with the Summit. Just like my other Traxxas trucks, the smile factor canít be beat.
    This is my first duel battery RC and I have one question. I currently have 2 2-cell LiPo batteries, one is 4000 mAh and the other is 4200 mAh. Can I use these in the Summit even though they are not the same mAh? I have other 2-cell LiPo batteries that are the same mAh so these would be for backup. Thanks in advance for you opinions.
    Jerry C.
    Stampede 4x4
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

Congrats on getting a Summit! IMO, both batteries should be the same capacity, that way you couldn't risk over discharging one battery while your driving. I would sick with two, identical batteries. Hope this helps!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    Enable low voltage detection on the esc. (should be a solid green light when active)
    Difference of 200 mah shouldn't be a problem(I think). My summit discharges the batteries uneven anyway.

RC Qualifier
    If you do, I would try with the 4200 on the BEC side of the ESC.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

The batteries MUST be the same capacity. They are connected in series... so when you hook the two together the larger capacity will discharge into the lower capacity and since the lower is already full, it will over charge it.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Wow... never even thought of that. Good thing Jimmie`s always around supervise
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    the larger capacity will discharge into the lower capacity and since the lower is already full, it will over charge it.
    Ouch, you learn something new everyday

Sry OP, my advice sucked

RC Enthusiast
    The batteries MUST be the same capacity. They are connected in series... so when you hook the two together the larger capacity will discharge into the lower capacity and since the lower is already full, it will over charge it.
    This is something I had not thought of, thank you for bringing it up. I have a total of 4 5000 mAh LiPo batteries so I don't think I will have a problem. Some day I may pick up a 2nd 4200 mAh just to be ready if needed. Thanks to everyone for your input, I am learning everyday and this forum is a wonderful font of information and friendly people ready to help.
    Jerry C.
    Stampede 4x4
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

In addition to what J.N. said, the packs need to be of similar age (or usage) and have the same discharge rate as well. Basically, they need to be identical packs.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

New Summit Owner

You wanna check that? Cells in PARALLEL balance by definition. Cells in series do not, else we would have no need of LiPo balancers, right?
    It is absolutely the best course of action to use an identical pair of packs. IF and only if you know what you are doing, you can run otherwise identical packs with slightly different capacity ratings. I would not recommend it for most users. I would also not recommend using packs from different manufacturers since most seem to rate packs arbitrarily.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-04-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

Hmmm... maybe I need to brush up on that but I do know without a doubt that I have hooked up different capacities in parallel without any ill effect... there was a 5,000mAh difference. But, if I hook batteries with different voltages in parallel, they will equalize themselves out.
    Also, when I read up on series charging one of the absolute rules is that the packs must be of the same capacity...
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmmm... maybe I need to brush up on that but I do know without a doubt that I have hooked up different capacities in parallel without any ill effect...
    You got lucky.

Per Ohms Law - Electrical items connected in parallel have equal voltage across them; items connected in series have equal Amps across them. Think about how that relates to our LiPo battery packs and you will see that what KSB told you is correct. That "Big Bucks" education he has is still paying off.

RC Enthusiast
    Wow, a lot of great information, thank you everyone. I don't think I will have a problem as I have 2 sets of packs that are the same and were purchased at the same time. I am learning something new everyday.
    Jerry C.
    Stampede 4x4
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver9543 View Post
    I am learning something new everyday.
    You will learn something new everyday with these blokes on the forum
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails