RC Qualifier

EVX 3014 questions

Can this esc be used on a truck with just one battery but 2 motors? What are they worth in used but good condition?

Yes it can, assuming that the motors are within the ESC's limits. You'll need to build or buy a jumper plug for the non-BEC battery plug (the one that doesn't provide any power to the receiver and servos). An example of a jumper plug would be Traxxas part number 3983.

I have no idea what one would go for these days. I'd check out eBay and search the completed listings to get a feel for it.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    So would that limit overall power of the truck? This will be a custom build and the chassis has no room for 2 batteries...Is this a poor choice in an esc with one battery?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxasnoob2012 View Post
    So would that limit overall power of the truck? This will be a custom build and the chassis has no room for 2 batteries...Is this a poor choice in an esc with one battery?
    I think actually yes. It's my understanding that when the esc is jumpered, the 14 volt titan motor only receives 7 plus volts (bat voltage), in essence running at half speed, unless you upsize the battery. From some of what I read, states some remove one motor, to maximise voltage to the other. Not sure of the validity of that last part though. I think at this point, the cost would go to a cheap brushless, designed for a single motor and single battery.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The motor wires coming out of the dual motor ESC receive the same juice weather there are two motors or one.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The motor wires coming out of the dual motor ESC receive the same juice weather there are two motors or one.
    Right, but with two motors, you have twice the consumption on a single battery. That's why I said you would have to upsize the battery to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxasnoob2012 View Post
    It depends on the motors you want to use. If you want to run 550 motors like the Titans in the E-Maxx, performance will be lacking; however, if you want to run lower voltage 540 motors (or 12T Titans, I suppose), then running one pack would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldrcguy View Post
    Right, but with two motors, you have twice the consumption on a single battery. That's why I said you would have to upsize the battery to compensate.
    The Traxxas 7.2V Villain sported dual Traxxas Stinger motors, yet only one battery pack was used; it worked perfectly fine. As long as the motors used are designed to perform well at the lower voltage, running two motors off from one battery pack isn't that big of a deal. As you say, you just need to make sure that your batteries have the capacity to make run times decent.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-04-2013 at 10:28 PM.

RC Champion
    there's about 3 or 4 going on fleEbay about $30, You might find some for $20, they're old esc's, ok for trial end error but I don't know if the non lvd evx2's come down in price with the new lvd version released.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    there's about 3 or 4 going on fleEbay about $30, You might find some for $20.
    Wow! Back in the day (not even all that long ago!), those ESC rarely sold for under $100.

RC Qualifier
    Running a twin Titan 550, rated at 14 volts on one 7.4 or 8.4 battery will only run at best, half speed, half runtime duration. I wasn't for sure on the motor voltage, but the parts breakdown says they are 23Turn/ 14 volt motors.

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...-list-2000.pdf

I'm confused, where did the original poster say that they were going to use those motors? It sounds like they're planning on putting the ESC into a custom build, no mention of motors was made; that's why I said this:
    It depends on the motors you want to use. If you want to run 550 motors like the Titans in the E-Maxx, performance will be lacking; however, if you want to run lower voltage 540 motors (or 12T Titans, I suppose), then running one pack would be fine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I'm confused, where did the original poster say that they were going to use those motors? It sounds like they're planning on putting the ESC into a custom build, no mention of motors was made; that's why I said this:
    Good point Cooleo. I wonder which two brushed motors he is planning on. Voltage of the motors would be key to performance and runtime.