Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going LiPo

RC Qualifier

Going LiPo

Howdy all forum people! I am going LiPo either tomorrow or Sunday and I was wondering what battery you all recommend. Keep it on the cheap, I am not the one buying it so please keep the prices low. I am also looking into a cheap charger from Dynamite (Passport) so I was looking for some input.

I am mainly going to be racing and some bashing with my Slash VXL. I need a 2s hardcase pack.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    This what i got and so far loving it, http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=125 it is currently in stock. so gettem while they are hot they usually go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransit View Post
    Howdy all forum people! I am going LiPo either tomorrow or Sunday and I was wondering what battery you all recommend. Keep it on the cheap, I am not the one buying it so please keep the prices low. I am also looking into a cheap charger from Dynamite (Passport) so I was looking for some input.

I am mainly going to be racing and some bashing with my Slash VXL. I need a 2s hardcase pack.
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Qualifier
    That is a good deal. I was looking into Sky LiPo, but all their batteries are out of stock and cost $5-$6 more than the SPC. Do you know if they are made in the US or not?
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Keep it on the cheap
    This might not be a place to skimp.
    If money is an issue,go spc,they are a fare price,and from people I know who run them,good price or not,just a very very good lipo.
    The same with the charger.
    I'm not pro in the battery field,but the thing every one made clear to me,was get the best charger that you can on your budget.
    There is a new charger out called the passport ultralight.
    I got one with a truck I bought,haven't really used it enough to say much about it,but for the price,I think about $70 if you buy it out right.
    It has a lot of options for a ac charger.
    I have now learned for a decent charger,you looking at about a $200 starting price,and you use a sepert 12volt power source.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I am liking SPC more and more for a LiPo brand, but the charger needs to be under $100. I see Dynamite has a good Passport for cheap, but I wonder if anyone has had problems with it.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Wish I could help but haven't used mine enough to let you know.
    I have a hitec that charges 4 at once,but found out it's not a very good deal.(got mine cheap from a friend)
    But for a low cost intery level charger,I can say I have used my onyx 235 for some time and it's fine.
    But the pass port has a discharge mode,and some other fetchers the onyx doesn't.
    One of the marshals said they like the passport,and they are very well versed in the hobby.

RC Qualifier
    Yup, for lipos from now on I'm going with spc, also check out smc-racing.net, only thing is when they get in stock I suggest get em asap cause they'll be out of stock again before you know it

RC Qualifier
    I'm strictly SPC now and have used them since I use to buy matched Ni-MH from them. Great batteries, great people its as simple as that. Many here would agree. There are other good batteries out there but none I can recommend first hand at the moment. My last non-SPC lipo was kokam, like 4 years ago. Lol

There aren't good lipo chargers for less than a $100 and that's a very cruel harsh fact of life. You have your powerlab 6 at near $200 and some of the ichargers are fine but reliability is hit or miss compared to the FMA Revolectrix(sp?)powerlab 6.

I understand not everyone has that to burn on a charger (I dont at the moment) and with that said, the Onyx 235 will do you a good job and has great resale value when you want the powerlab. The Hitec X1 is good for what it is. Thunder Power TP610C is good, the traxxas chargers that are a hitec clone. If you have a power supply something like the icharger 206B. Check out Progressive RC. If I wanted a decent sub $100 charger with good resale if you move up Id say Onyx 235. The smaller ichargers don't have great resale as they are so iffy even buying new QC wise IMO.

I have to break down and order a spc.
    I'm a real believer in buying from my lhs,and just ordered a 5400mah 65c 2s from them at near a $100, I know thunder power is a good brand,but have no doubt the spc is better and less money.
    I have a 6500 mah 65c 2s reedy that is just unbeliveable,the power and run time has been unmatched,even against equel spc of the same rating,but far more money.It seems spc is just plainly the clear choice in lipos.
    In fact their only competition seems to be themselves.
    They are making such a good and well priced product,they cann't put them out soon enough.
    can't wait to get my hands on a 3s 6500mah 65c for my 4x4.just took out the 2800kv castle and mmp,and replaced it with a 540 fuse 3900kv 4 pole 5mm shaft and a dynamite 130 amp esc.
    The fuse look tiny next to the castle,but takes half the battery power to make it scoot.

RC Qualifier
    I was looking at this charger here:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Never owned 1 but I hear it's pretty good for the price

RC Qualifier
    A few guys at the track own it, so far they have had no problems at all with them.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

I really cant say,I just don't know enough about all the chargers out there.
    I have only use two for a while,and just don't know enough to say one is better than the other.
    Sorry.

I was looking at this charger here:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
    The charger that coined the phrase "$50 battery cooker." I'd stay far away.
    The Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus 6-amp is better charger all around.
    Or look into an iCharger 106B+ (DC only) and a converted server power supply to feed it.

Too many people fail to realize that your charger is very important to the health of your batteries. The heart of your charging system is not where you want to skimp.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-03-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    i think venom has some good lipo's, not sure though.

RC Qualifier
    I started with venom and the lipos are good but after using spc and getting the same performance why pay so much for the other brands

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    .... I have a 6500 mah 65c 2s reedy that is just unbeliveable,the power and run time has been unmatched,even against equel spc of the same rating,but far more money.
    Was the SPC pack all black or a graphite looking case?

RC Qualifier
    My cousin has used the AC6 for around 1 year now and his batteries are fine. A couple guys at the track also run it, I do not have $120 to spend on a charger.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    What's the max your going to spend on a charger

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    My ac6 worked fine... for 2 years... then went bonkers, overcharged cell 1 on all my packs, and puffed 130$ in packs. Dont buy one unless you have a good battery checker (Hyperion makes a good one) to check the accuracy of the balance circuit often. Dont turn your back on the chchchargers.

Billy, you can get a very good ac/dc charger for 140$. Hyperion EOS 720i net3 AD
    Last edited by rag6; 05-03-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

I would go with the Passport charge before the AC-6. There are a lot of fans of the Ac-6 because it is so inexpensive but there are also lots of reports of issues from the charger failing, to false peaking, to cooking the battery to taking twice as long as it should to fully charge a pack. I learned my lesson the hard way and bought a shelf full of bargain chargers trying to save a buck and it cost me a lot more in the long run. You dont need to buy the top of the line charger but do yourself a favor and spend a little more and get a decent middle of the road charger at least, I recommend spiking the low priced bargain chargers, in the end they are no bargain IMO.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Was the SPC pack all black or a graphite looking case?
    I want an spc pack,now my best two cell is a black reedy 6500mah 65c 48w.
    It say's #601 on it,It is a very impressive battery.
    But if I can get a spc for far less $ and them same out put,I would be one happy camper.
    And there has never been one negative post about spc,just how they will never run anything else.
    Being a expert tho,can you tell me if the above cell is a good quality,if it's aloud on the forum.

RC Qualifier
    The AC6 is a luck of the draw type of deal and I don't gamble with expensive and potentially dangerous batteries. If you read enough especially on the RC airplane sites you can even find reports of the ichargers not being calibrated properly or not being accurate, but I think it's far less likely than something like the AC6. The powerlab6 is all I feel really good about and until I can afford one I terminate my balance charge early at 4.15-4.19, check my cells with a meter to confirm and I use lipo alarms while running and the esc's LVC only as a backup because I don't take them down that far as some of the fixed ones do. And I never for a moment leave the room it's charging in. So I'm cautious if not paranoid but my li-pos run like a champ and last. It's why I buy SPC too. I know I'm buying quality cells that are safe. Not to mention that Tom is just a super nice guy who can give you good advice should you need it. I don't benefit from recommending SPC but word of mouth spreads when you have happy customers, repeat customers and they do.

Your welcome to spend your money how you want but the difference in price between a AC6 and a Hitec X1/Traxxas and a Onyx 235 really isn't much at all in the scheme of what we pay to enjoy this hobby.

You could buy the cheapest eBay lipo and a AC6 and have a good experience for sure, but we've all heard and seen plenty to the contrary. Enough to not feel good recommending them.
    Last edited by mepster; 05-03-2013 at 02:29 PM.

My cousin has used the AC6 for around 1 year now and his batteries are fine. A couple guys at the track also run it, I do not have $120 to spend on a charger.
    Great, fine, wonderful. You've been warned, and you are wished the best. Question: how do you know what damage may or may not have been done to his batteries over the last year? Answer: you don't.

Consider this: the AC6 is a 50-watt "charger" for $50, more or less. That's $1.00 per watt. My Powerlab 6 is a 1000-watt charger with quality the AC6 cannot even dream dream of attaining. Even adding the power supplies, it works out to $0.22 or so per watt. I wasted at least as much as I paid for the PL6 on lesser chargers before I figured it out.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    We posted same time, but yeah... Lol

I know Things are tight,but the people telling you to avoid this unit know what they are saying,and only trying to help.
    Their wisdom has benefited me more than once,and just because you cant see any immediate damage,doesn't mean it is not slowly costing you the longest life of your lipo's.
    When you figure a so so lipo is $50,maybe it's better to get a more trust worthy charger,than have three lipo's last as long as one could have.

RC Qualifier
    I wish I had more money to spend on a charger, but it simply isn't there. The LiPo is a done deal, but I need to find a good charger at or under $50.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

I wish I had more money to spend on a charger, but it simply isn't there. The LiPo is a done deal, but I need to find a good charger at or under $50.
    You might look around for a used charger. I sold my Hyperion EOS 0606i for $50 shipped. I would take that Hyperion used over a new AC-6 any day.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    You might look around for a used charger. I sold my Hyperion EOS 0606i for $50 shipped. I would take that Hyperion used over a new AC-6 any day.
    That EOS 0606i is a really nice charger. And they can be found in that price range any day of the week.

I still have an Onyx 230 that I will use occasionally, if we have enough people running at one time. That charger is at least 4 years old now and has never missed a beat. Granted, my Hyperion 730iNET can charge at least 3 packs in the time it takes the Onyx to do one, but it has never let me down and doesn't over charge my packs. Only down side I see to the 230, aside from the 5 amp charge rate, is that it needs an external balancer. The 235 is probably a better choice nowadays.
    Last edited by harry697; 05-03-2013 at 07:34 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I was chatting at my dad, and he said the Dynamite Passport (6s AC edition) would be a possibility. After hearing what you guys said, the AC-6 seems too good to be true.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Not quite $50 or less but just another option you may want to consider. Go to A-main Hobbies. They should have a 10% coupon that pops up on your screen. They have free shipping over $25. They have the Hitec X1. If you apply that discount it should come out to about $56 shipped. You get a new charger from an excellent online retailer who packs carefully and ships fast and it's a 50watt charger like the AC6 but backed by Hitec USA's awesome service and support. Just throwin that out there. It balances charges Li-po and also has a storage charge mode unlike a lot of the inexpensive chargers. Comes with XH balance board a couple different leads and detachable AC and DC cords. About as good as it gets for $50 range new.

They carry the passport chargers at A-Main as well.

RC Qualifier
    I think I have made a decision. I want the SPC 5000 mAh 2s pack, with the Dynamite Passport 6s (AC/DC Version) charger. Thanks for all your guys' help, I would have picked up the wrong charger and killed my brand new battery. I'll update you guys when I get the package. I'll probably do an unboxing of it on my YouTube channel.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Just ordered my LiPo and a Dynamite charger last night, shipping is expensive for LiPo packs...
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC poster
    I have been reading about the LIPO questions. I also read this article http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-batte...final-results/

They don't seem to test against the SPC. What is your option on their results in comparison to the SPC?
    Slash VXL - One for me and one for the kid!

RC Qualifier
    I haven't gotten my pack yet, it just shipped today. Once I get it and drive it a couple packs then I'll form my conclusions.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

i run the ac6. im one of the people at the track bandit is refering to. ive been lucky enough to not have trouble with mine yet. but once i get the extra funds (after my slash 4x4 is together) i plan on picking up the hitec x4 ac plus. seems pretty good to me. i seen the mention of a 1000 watt charger? why does that even matter when a 50 watt does my batteries just fine? i mean at a 1c charge rate with balance from fully dead the ac6 does it in about an hour. dont know if the x4 would be better or not. says it has 4 individual 50watt power supplies. one for each battery charge port. i did see that some of those spc packs can take higher than a 1c charge rate though. so i dont know if that x4 will be able to charge at there max rate or not...............

any input on the hitec x4 charger?
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    I have two more days to wait, Thursday is d-day! I haven't heard much about the charger, nor done much research.

Just received my charger and battery in the mail today, and I must say, I'm impressed! The punch is so instant, it was a really big change from NiMh batteries. Wish I switched sooner!

Not to triple post, but here are some photos.

Last edited by cooleocool; 05-09-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: merge
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

That's not the same one I got.
    I don't have a pic,but it has a digital read out
    I have to get some pic's tomorrow and show you.
    Happy to see you go lipo.

RC Qualifier
    Let's just say I left some burnout "marks" in my driveway. Accelerates to top speed in like 2.5 seconds... (If I launch it right)
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

i might have to give that thing a test out for you transit. wish you would have gotten the 50c so i could try it out though lol
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!