RC Racer

My Emaxx ate its first diff last night...sigh....

Hey Y'all, so I've had my EMBE for a week today.. Ran it a handful of times on 4s, stock gearing and I love it... Swapped out all the drive axles for the traxxas CVD's and put RPM shock towers on it... Last night, again on 4s, I was playing in the grass and dirt and a little on the street.. I was giving it some gas here and there, doing wheelies and what not and on one particular trigger pull, after the front wheels came down and I gave it more gas, I heard this God aweful clicking sound coming from it... It was still driving but not very well... I thought for a second I chewed up a spur gear, but I removed the cover and all gear teeth were intact.. I have yet to rip apart the rear end and get the diff out, but I'm almost positive I chewed some teeth off the ring and/or pinion.

My question is: Are there any upgrades to the diff? Can I get a stronger ring and pinion for it? I've seen all kinds of aluminum diff cases and diff cups, but that really does me no good if its chewing up gears.. What can I replace the diff with to make it more durable? Or am I stuck with the traxxas diff gears? Diffs for this thing are cheap on eBay... Found a few complete new diffs on there last night for like $14 shipped... Might stock up on those if I don't really have any other options...

What do you all think, suggest, advise??

RC Champion
    some of us on here upgrade to the flm hybrid bulkheads witch allow you to use stronger 1/8th scale diffs. They also use much stronger 8x16x5mm pinion bearings witch a lot of times is what fails on the stock diffs. and causes the gears getting chewed up. You can also get the flm 'ultimate' hybrid bulks that come with the diff. They require a bit of time to shim them together and they will set you back about 90.00 ea. and you will have to replace both front and rear as the gear ratio is different.
    I rebuilt the stock diffs on one of my trucks with alum cases and cups ,new gears and avid bearings. havent run it enough yet to see how they will hold up but they cost me almost as much as the much stronger flm set up. So with all that being said i guess you have to decide if you want to spend the money on the flm set up or just replace them when they break for 15.00 ea. I think robinson racing made better stock gears for them but hard to find. You can also shim the stock diffs and use good quality bearings in them and that will help strengthen them.
    Another option is to use the losi lst2 diffs. Fairly cheap on ebay. but they will require some modifications to fit.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-03-2013 at 06:45 AM.

RC Racer
    I've read about "shimming" the diffs many times, only thing I didn't understand is where to put the shims... Are there any videos or pics on any threads you could add in a post for me? Or just tell me where to add shims? I have more than enough parts: gears, bearings, rings, pinions to rebuild my diff 10 times, so for now I'm just gonna do that... Would love the FLM setup but thats more than I can spend right now... But again, any help with where to put the shims would be super fantabulastic...!!! Thanks...

RC Champion
    Go to page two and check out mugs build thread called mugs street machine. He has a very nice informative little write up with pics on diff shimming.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks to mugs who made this.

You can use hpi, calandra, 3racing, kyosho shims.

RC Racer
    I appreciate it fellas, I'm going to the LHS tonight.....!!!!! see if I can't get the 6, 8, and 10mm shims I need from them and some new bearings.... I have everything else... Hopefully this will hold me over until I can scrounge up some cash for that flm setup... My EMBE will by no means be a show truck... Tried to do that before and what fun is it if you aren't bashing or racing... I bought this one to drive and bash and have fun with, so looking to make it durable and last... I'll let you all know how it turns out...

Good luck, I've always had to order shims.
    Get the bearings from AvidRC.com, $1 & just as good as you'll get from the LHS @$4 each.

Older write up but still great info.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Diff-Shim-Mod
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    so I got the diff apart last night... Come to find out it wasn't even a diff fail.... Both of the bearings around the pinion EXPLODED..!! causing some of the ball bearings to get into the teeth of the ring and pinion messing them up a bit... Got bearings from the LHS for $1 each.. Boca Bearings... Anyway I replaced the bearings and the ring and pinion, greased her up, reassembled and she was good to go.... Added a couple shims in the right spot so hopefully this will last longer...