RC Enthusiast

is this E-Maxx worth?

about to purchase this roller on craigslist, I guess it is 3906 version. $100???

it's roller only and no batteries or radio.

"
    hardbody shocks (8)
    aluminum shock mounts front and rear
    aluminum bumpers (rear bumper not shown in pics)
    aluminum chassis braces
    aluminum server cover
    prm 3pc skid plates
    "

RC Competitor
    Yes just change all the electronics well most of them but yea it's a good roller
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Chadman, I might use batteries and motors from my newer 3903, but I do need radio in order to run it, not sure which radio working with this roller?

RC Champion
    with the upgrades on it and the missing servo, I'm guessing it's been locked in high gear. I'd get a cheap 2.4 radio, 2channel if it has locked gear, 3 channel, if you want to have the gear change option.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

That looks like a 2 channel Futaba receiver (AM) from the late 90s/early 00s, so trax de max is right, it's locked into one gear.

As for the price, it certainly seems reasonable (assuming it runs). With a new 3 channel radio system and a basic servo (and linkages), you could have it back to the two-speed setup pretty cheaply (that's what I would do). Of course, that's assuming that they didn't modify the transmission to lock it into second. Many people used to just take some fuel tubing and used that to lock the tranny in.

EDIT: It looks like it has a Trinity heat sink motor mount and RPM bulkhead braces as well.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    The radio and receiver 2.4ghz around $40, how much you guys think I will need to put in to make it run?
    Thanks

Hi all, just picked it up few hours ago, the guy told me it is old version so only has one servo, is it true? so if I buy traxxas 2.4ghz radio and receiver will be fine or I need to buy servo as well? Thanks

forgot to mention, the servo is Hitec HS-605MG...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-03-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky_Kong View Post
    [H]ow much you guys think I will need to put in to make it run?
    That's hard to say. Are the motors alright, is the transmission in good shape, etc.?

[T]he guy told me it is old version so only has one servo, is it true?
    No, that's incorrect.

[S]o if I buy traxxas 2.4ghz radio and receiver will be fine or I need to buy servo as well?
    That depends. Do you want to utilize the two speed transmission? If you do (I would!), you'll need a servo and the shifting linkage assembly in addition to a 3 channel radio system. I believe that the part numbers for the linkage assembly are 3180, 3182, 3184, and 3988. You will also need the servo and the necessary screws.

I like that body--definitely don't see too many of those these days!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-03-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    That depends. Do you want to utilize the two speed transmission? If you do (I would!), you'll need a servo and the shifting linkage assembly in addition to a 3 channel radio system. I believe that the part numbers for the linkage assembly are 3180, 3182, 3184, and 3988. You will also need the servo and the necessary screws.

I like that body--definitely don't see too many of those these days!
    Hi, just back to this old e-maxx and got all the parts needed for linkage but I have no idea how to assembly it, the explored view doesn't help much...
    Also if I upgrade to brushless esc combo or just newer vxl-3s do I still need second servo linkage?

RC Enthusiast
    i just received one for my birthday get it its a great price

RC Champion
    For the linkage assembly, Lay these parts in order on a table. From left to right.
    3182-Collar, 3184-Spring, 3180-Rod guide, 3184-Spring, 3182-Collar, 3988-Rod.
    slide all the components on the rod, slightly tighten the collar on the ends.

Hook 3988-Rod to tranny shaft.
    Fit 3180-Rod guide to the servo horn and adjust 3182-collars to correct place.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Champion
    Nice 3906. I'd keep it the way it is besides newer evx2/twin 550's from a 3903. I know if you'r thinking brushless in the future. Id go a newer version e-maxx (3906 tranny cant handle brushless power). i have a 3906 also, and i left it brushed for a almost crawler, lol.

read this- http://robotwars.00server.com/emaxxupgrade.html
    Last edited by ajcar; 06-11-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.