RC poster

Single Servo Upgrade

Hi there just wondering If I bought everything needed to switch to a single servo in my summit. Thanks

HRCM7950 Hitec HS-7950TH HV Digital Ultra Torque Coreless TG 1 149.99
    TRAC7344 Traxxas Heavy Duty Servo Saver Spring Revo 1 2.39
    STRC0186 STRC Single Steering Servo Saver Arm E-Revo/3.3/Slayer 1 14.49
    AXIC0835 Axial Aluminum Servo Horn 24T 1 15.39
    TRAC4426 Traxxas Cover Plate 5308 1 2.79

Didn't need the spring but wouldn't hurt to put a fresh one in.looks like everything.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yep, HD spring is stock.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Use a washer UNDER the spring to give it more "ummph"... thats the only way to really improve on it.

Also, the cover wont fit. I know it sounds crazy... but it wont. MANY MANY have tried and all reports are that its a no go. Most just make their own. I used an old T-bone skid plate and just cut it to fit and used the stock servo screws to hold it on. Looks and works great.

That servo is a good choice. More than enough power.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Also ordered a No Brainer BEC 7.4V from HeyOk to get the most from the servo.

RC Qualifier
    I did a list like that, but also the aluminum steering stop arm and id leave the stock horn on... leaves a weak spot.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    I did a list like that, but also the aluminum steering stop arm and id leave the stock horn on... leaves a weak spot.
    Yup... I twisted my arm spline right off in a tricky situation. It was a 3 minute fix and much easier/cheaper to do than replacing anything else in the steering.

BTW... is the servo horn available by itself?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

The stock servo horn isnt just a weak spot... its THE weak spot. It will strip or break in no time at all. Usually I feel a weak spot is necessary. But that one is just too weak and makes the high torque servo nearly worthless. In almost 2 years of running a 420oz servo I have never broken anything in the steering so im now convinced there is no need for a week spot.

You wont need the BEC with that servo. Worst case scenario, get a glitch buster. That servo isnt really powerful enough to stress the ESC's bec to the point your going to have a problem. A BEC, in this case, is more hassle than it will be worth IMO.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Pave correct me if I am wrong......... what I think Pave was saying is the cover plate will not fit without some modification. And even then it’s still not a perfect fit.

The cover plate is designed for the Revo/Slayer 3.3 chassis, and maybe another one I failed to mention. So it’s smaller than the hole in the ervo/erbe/summit chassis. I had to use a Dremel to shave some pieces off and slot the holes on the cover plate to make it work. It leaves some gaps but for the most part covers the hole.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Stock horn comes in a small plastics set. 5345R. Around $6.49. I`d rather break it than any other part of my steering as Jimmie stated.

I`ve been using my savox 1230sg 500oz, with the stock horn. Granted I used a brand new one when I upgraded the servo, but I have not stripped or broken it at all. Works great for me. Might be due to setting my endpoints properlly too.

BEC could still help you, I didnt notice much more power out of the servo with a BEC except when rock crawling. Also, my lights no longer dim slightly when I turn with the BEC. Before the BEC, they dimmed slightly under load.

Last edited by Northern Adventurer; 05-03-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep800 View Post
    Pave correct me if I am wrong......... what I think Pave was saying is the cover plate will not fit without some modification. And even then it’s still not a perfect fit.

The cover plate is designed for the Revo/Slayer 3.3 chassis, and maybe another one I failed to mention. So it’s smaller than the hole in the ervo/erbe/summit chassis. I had to use a Dremel to shave some pieces off and slot the holes on the cover plate to make it work. It leaves some gaps but for the most part covers the hole.
    Yes, that is correct. It can be maid to fit, but it doesnt fit correctly. IMO, you can get a better end result with some plastic and a dremel.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Stock horn + high torque servo+rock crawling
    Better buy a whole box of them is my opinion.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

^^ Mmm Hmmm... agree
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    We`ll see, until I strip one I see no reason to upgrade. But if I do go through more than the 3 spares I have, I will go alum. I try not to go alum if I can.

Time will tell. Thanks for trying to show me the way thou