RC Competitor

help me with a gross motor.

i picked up a couple trucks for 80 bucks. both nitro. question is, one of the engines is full of rusty sludge and the carb is seized (rotary carb). what is the best way to clean this thing up and unstick the carb? the motor itself is not stuck, it actually has pretty good compression.
    its a good thing i like taking things apart.

I would take everything apart and soak it in WD40 it will help loosen and remove some of the rusty stuff and help unstick the carb. Then use nitro motor spray to wash all the goo away. Then re WD to protect it. Then I'd use just regular ARO for assembly lube.

RC Competitor
    whats ARO?

RC Qualifier
    After run oil.

take the air filters clutches exhausts off blast the engines with laundry soap and water and a brush. Then put them in a container with 1-2 quarts marvel mystery oil with the glowplugs out. try turning them over... No luck? loosen the head bolts and let them soak some more, then tear down, clean up, and re-assmeble if you don't see any rust and the crank rolls in the bearings nice and smooth.

You can use Marvel mystery oil as you assembly lube as well. Before re-assembling check the pistons can't go all the way through the sleeve, they need not to pass the end of the sleeve if they did,, need a new piston and sleeve.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Competitor
    i have the head and backplate off. the motor itself is not locked up. the gunk is in the crankcase. next question, whats the best way to remove the sleeve? aside from grabbin it with pliers and yanking it out.

Put a zip tie through the exhaust port and turn the flywheel. The piston will grab it and push the sleeve up.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by double g View Post
    put a zip tie through the exhaust port and turn the flywheel. The piston will grab it and push the sleeve up.
    genius!!!!

RC Competitor
    i got the sleeve out. the piston doesn't even get close to the top of the sleeve. this motor has more compression with just my thumb over the cylinder then the O.S. .18 CVR i got has completely assembled. just needs a good cleaning. the guy obviously didnt any after run procedures.