Thread: Dewalt Motors

RC Qualifier

Dewalt Motors

Still running 4S is there any power/torque difference between the 14.4v and the 18v? Also is there any way to modify a brushed motor to gain more power?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

From what I gathered, the 18 needs, well, more than 18 volts to be worth it. So, as far as I know, you can't modify brushed motors. But, if you put bearings in the DeWalt, it might add more power. Here is a thread about it. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxx...g-problem.html
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Torque yes, but its not worth it.

To really use the 18v dewalt you have to run 6s.

The 14.4 already produces enough torque to brake axles.

The 18v dewalt under 4s is really slow compared to the stock titan and 14.4 dewalt.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Okay so with the 18v you gain torque and lose speed

RC Racer
    Yes, but its only worth doing on 6s. To run 6s you need a new esc, like the mamba monster in brushed mode.

So, stick with 14.4 dewalt.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Aside from increasing applied voltage, there are a few things one can do to a stock brushed motor to change/increase it's performance characteristics. Most require "tinkering" and a willingness to possibly trash a motor. You'll not get "brushless power" out fo a brushed motor. At least not for long I personally have no desire to risk killing my beloved Dewalt

Back in my slot car days, we modified "stock class" motors in several ways. We rotated the brush holder to change timing, we also filed brushes to do the same. We "clearanced" magnets to get them closer to the armature (more flux lines). We even used different liquids {or juices as we called them) on the commutator and brushes to increase current/voltage transmission.

The thing to remember was, we were playing with $3 motors and if we killed it, or most likely severely shortened its life, it was no great loss. Most of us had a half dozen motors or more anyway. We were only looking for a performance edge, one motor vs. another.

History lesson over, sorry for the ramble
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    Aside from increasing applied voltage, there are a few things one can do to a stock brushed motor to change/increase it's performance characteristics. Most require "tinkering" and a willingness to possibly trash a motor. You'll not get "brushless power" out fo a brushed motor. At least not for long I personally have no desire to risk killing my beloved Dewalt

Back in my slot car days, we modified "stock class" motors in several ways. We rotated the brush holder to change timing, we also filed brushes to do the same. We "clearanced" magnets to get them closer to the armature (more flux lines). We even used different liquids {or juices as we called them) on the commutator and brushes to increase current/voltage transmission.

The thing to remember was, we were playing with $3 motors and if we killed it, or most likely severely shortened its life, it was no great loss. Most of us had a half dozen motors or more anyway. We were only looking for a performance edge, one motor vs. another.

History lesson over, sorry for the ramble
    No not a ramble I guess its like making any motor/engine go faster it shortens the life span and is for racing use only